We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 2/28-3/1

Brookhaven...
Level Contributor
135 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - 2/28-3/1

I had snow in Vegas during my recent visit there, now snow in NYC. It managed to cut my trip short by a day, but we had a great time.

We drove from the Philly suburbs to NYC on Saturday morning. Traffic was not bad at all and we made it in about 2 hours. The hotel we booked was the Sheraton Times Square. I managed to get a great rate since one of my family members who works for one of the Starwood properties gets a discount.

Dropped the car off to the valet, which was a breeze. Checked in and got a room on the 19th floor. The room was fine. We had a nice view and most importantly, it was clean. The bed was very comfortable too. The staff at this hotel are very nice and I love the free internet access they offer in the lobby area. Plus, it's close to so many places!

After check-in we decided to head on over to Greenwich Village. I've been to NYC on many occasions, but never ventured to this area. Getting there was an adventure. Not being subway experts, we got on the wrong line at first. So, a short trip to "the village" took about an hour. I still don't have a good grasp on when to take the N, R, W, E, Q, etc.

Once we got there, we felt we needed to go to John's Pizzeria on Bleeker Street. The line was quite long at 2:30 but it moved pretty fast. After 30 minutes we were seated. Since we were starving and figured the pizza may take some time to come out, we ordered a salad to share while waiting for the "pie." Well, not even a few bites into the salad, out comes our piping hot pizza. It was EXCELLENT. There is a place near Philly that is better, but it makes my "Top 5" pizza list, that's for sure. As a side note, it's CASH ONLY. Total was about 30 bucks for the 2 of us.

Off to Rocco's for some dessert! The place was mobbed but I can see why. The cannoli was AMAZING. It's the best I've had and there are some good ones in South Philly. The staff keep the "to-go" line moving very well, although we sat down. It took about 30 minutes to get our check but we didn't mind since "people-watching" here was a good time.

After walking around some more we headed back to the hotel. We had no plans for the night and weren't really tired so we decided to catch a show. Discounts were available for Chicago. Although I have seen it twice before in other cities, my partner never saw it and wanted to go. So we took advantage of a discount and went. It was ok. Other productions I've seen were better. One note: The discount place in Times Square had a HUGE line. It would have taken an hour to get through. We passed on that.

After the show, we headed to Russo's in the Sheraton for dinner. It was very good. Both of us had the filet. I wouldn't normally go to a hotel restaurant with so many other options, but we had a 50% off ticket and decided to use it. After dinner it was time to call it a day/night.

Woke up Sunday to weather reports predicting lots of snow. We weren't supposed to head home until Monday afternoon, so this wasn't good news. Anyway, we started the day off with breakfast at the Cosmic Diner. It was QUICK and decent. Nothing to write home about but for a basic, quick breakfast under 20 bucks it was fine.

After breakfast, it was off to the "Top of the Rock." I'm not great with heights (ok...they scare the you-know-what out of me), but this was no problem here. The elevator ride is fast and once at the top there is plenty of glass up there to keep you from falling. I couldn't get too close to the ledge, but I can honestly say if your fear of heights is keeping you from doing this, don't worry about it. The view is INCREDIBLE and I'm so glad I conquered my fear on this day. While we were there, an MS Walk was in progress and they were walking all the way up the steps. We kept hearing people cheer for "Sandra" to make it to the top. She was the last one. When she arrived, everyone was going crazy. As it turns out, she has MS and used a cane to walk the entire way up! It took her 3 hours but she made it. Not being the warm and fuzzy type, even I had a tear in my eye when she made it.

After the TOTR, we made our way to Rice to Riches. A friend of mine told me I had to try this place, so off we went. This time we got on the right subway line and made it there without any problem. Well, this was worth the trip. The rice pudding is AWESOME. Even if you think you don't like rice pudding, I have a feeling you will like this. There are so many flavors to choose from and they let you sample as many as you want before deciding on a flavor. I ordered a serving size enough for two people, but inhaled it all. It was the best rice pudding I've ever eaten.

Back to the hotel to get freshened up before our 2:00pm showing of "In the Heights." I liked this musical very much. I don't think it is for everybody as there is lots of "rapping", but it's funny, well-acted and quite entertaining. High energy too. Discount tickets are available at many of the on-line sites, so don't pay full price.

After the show, it was time for dinner. After reading reviews on here, we decided on Trattoria Trecolori. It was close to the theater and I love Italian food. This place did not disappoint. The staff is friendly and the food is excellent. I had gnocchi and my partner had some rigatoni with chicken mixed in there. Clearly homemade and all delicious. Dinner for 2 (no drinks) was only 60 bucks. I'd suggest giving this place a shot if you are in the neighborhood for a show.

After dinner, we decided to beat the snow and head back home a bit early. Although being there for the storm would be cool, it would also be costly. As I sit here in my kitchen and look out the window, I'm liking my decision.

Sorry for the length of this report. It's hard to believe we did so much in such a short period of time. I can't wait to go back!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - 2/28-3/1

Glad you had such a good time and hope you come back soon!

Texas
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - 2/28-3/1

Thanks for the trip report. I love the details you included and I really loved the "Sandra story". How inspirational!! May God bless her!

One of the things I'm looking forward to eating in NYC is a cannoli. Rocco's is on my list. Thanks for the affirmation! :D

Wrexham, North Wales
Level Contributor
912 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - 2/28-3/1

Great Trip Report, thanks for sharing. Sitting here with a tear in my eye after reading about Sandra x

amydoo
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - 2/28-3/1

I am staying at that same Sheraton because we get a family discount as well. Can't beat the price! We leave on Sunday for 8 days, Can't wait! I hope the snow does not affect our trip!

Brookhaven...
Level Contributor
135 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - 2/28-3/1

Amy...the snow will be long gone when you arrive. The hotel is in a perfect location.

I have to add that people in NYC are so much nicer than Philly. No attitude. Willing to help with directions. I don't enjoy walking the streets of Philly anymore.

amydoo
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - 2/28-3/1

I am really excited to go. It is my first time as well as my Mom's but she has no clue she is going, it is a surprise trip to her.

We fly in on Sunday and according to weather underground it says

Sunday

Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain and snow. Highs in the mid 40s. Chance of precipitation 30 percent.

So I hope it all goes okay. I would love to get some snow while there. Being from Southern Cali we don't get it often.

The Sheraton did sound like it was in a good location so glad to hear you confirm it.

Brookhaven...
Level Contributor
135 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - 2/28-3/1

Amy...Don't be afraid to take the subway. Once you get the hang of it a little it's clearly the best way to get around. Make a visit to Greenwich Village. Have a great time. I'll look forward to your trip report.

oswego,ny
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - 2/28-3/1

thanks for sharing your trip! thanks for the info on rocco's. glad you beat the snow!how was the drive-traffic wise from pa?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - 2/28-3/1

Great report. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - 2/28-3/1

It is so nice when people have a great experience in NYC. Glad you had a good trip.

It must have been great to actually be there when Sandra made it to the top.