We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuhgeddaboudit!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Fuhgeddaboudit!

Found this on MSN Travel site and thought it could help clarify what many have said on this board

The Rumor: New Yorkers are rude.

The Truth: Fuhgeddaboudit! “It’s absolutely false that New Yorkers are unfriendly — they may seem standoffish at first, but that’s just concealing a very big heart,” insists Ed Koch, a former mayor and a quintessential New Yorker. (Hey, someone who appeared in "The Muppets Take Manhattan" should know.) So what is with the gruff exterior, then? Call it a coping mechanism for living in a city of more than 8 million people. “We believe that people want their own space, so we don’t intrude unless asked for assistance. But if you’re visiting from out of town, just walk over to any New Yorker and he’ll immediately help you out,” says Koch. And rather than feeling upset about a brusque cab driver or a bagel guy who seems to toss your change at you, remember that they are just trying to keep the wheels in motion. “People here want to help you get on with your day!” says Koch.

Blackpool
Level Contributor
624 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fuhgeddaboudit!

New Yorkers, I certainly did not find anyone to be rude to me or the party I travelled with. On the Contray, I found them all to be extremely helpful and friendly, wherever we went.

Of course we can all become rude at some point during our day, but this does not justify the article on MSN.....

New York, like Blackpool in UK is a large tourist industry and I can certainly relate to New Yorkers who are pestered all day long by tourists either after general information or directions to a particular place.

God, if we were all so happy and polite throughout the world on a daily basis........... what a dull life the world would be............ Rock on New York, cannot fault anything, I love the place xxxxx

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fuhgeddaboudit!

I don't believe that New Yorkers are rude. Most of us do go out of our way to help tourists, girl scouts and little old ladies.

However, we are quite open, up front and honest. Where others will hem and haw about their opinions, a New Yorker will come right out and say it. In some areas this would be considered rude. In New York, it's just who we are.

One benefit of this openness is that you always know where you stand with us. You won't get any phony baloney platitudes - you'll get the truth. But as Jack Nicholson said, "The truth. You can't handle the truth!" For those who can't handle the truth, New York would not be their cup of tea.

Blackpool
Level Contributor
624 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fuhgeddaboudit!

Totally agree, call a spade a spade, thats my motto!!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fuhgeddaboudit!

I don't want to offend anyone on here, because I have received and read a huge amount of fantastic advice. However, the rudeness my friend and I experienced during our two week stay in New York surprised us both. There were definitely some very helpful people who assisted us, but unfortunately these experiences were FAR, FAR outweighed by rude staff at restaurants, cafes, shops, our accommodation, public transport and major tourist attractions, and general unpoliteness from members of the public. We have spent some time discussing why we felt this way, and feel that it is probably just a cultural difference that we were not prepared for. We always tipped well (sometimes over 20% because we were so stressed about not offending anyone, and also due to our awful maths skills) yet did not receive service anywhere that exceeded the service I would expect in Australia without a tip. This may also explain why visitors are so concerned about tipping. (I understand why tipping exists in the USA and do not have a problem with it at all.) We had a fantastic holiday, however by the end of our stay in NY we were getting very, very frustrated with the rudeness we experienced.

The positive experiences we had have stayed with us though - it is not all doom and gloom! I would still go back in a heartbeat!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fuhgeddaboudit!

that should be impoliteness, not unpoliteness... my english skills are as questionable as my maths.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
333 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fuhgeddaboudit!

My wife and I must have visited that OTHER new York last December! Sorry to disagree with a fellow Aussie but our opinion on New Yorkers is totally opposite to your's. We found the service wonderful in just about every place we visited from supermarkets to department stores, up-class restaurants to neighbourhood diners. It sure beat the hell out of 'Ya right there mate?' which seems to be the clarion call of many in service industries here in Oz. Surely you're not serious about "did not receive service anywhere that exceeded the service I would expect in Australia without a tip." You should have visited the expensive and well-rated restaurant we dined at here last Saturday night! In New York f ever we asked for help or directions, we got it everywhere we went. Any problems we had about ordering food, or how some of the unusual payment methods worked, it was always explained courteously and patiently. But I'm pleased to hear that after your bad experiences overall you still enjoyed your visit.

Ascot, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fuhgeddaboudit!

"New York, Like Blackpool..."

Come on! That's like comparing NY to Atlantic City. Or possibly something even worse!!

No offence meant!!! ;o)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,935 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fuhgeddaboudit!

Halley--I am confused. You write you always tipped well but did not get the service you expected. Usually you tip AFTER you receive a service not before. I do not understand what you did!! Since tipping is so much a part of the service industry's livelihood and since tipping is expected at the end, I find it incredulous that you received so much bad service. In today's economy with everyone struggling that is strange!

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fuhgeddaboudit!

There are those who only want (and want to hear about) a "pleasant" holiday and/or about pleasant staff, a pleasant experience. Don't you have anything positive to say?? some demand. They might have to skip NYC ... fuhgeddaboudit.

New Yorkers are a different bunch of people post-9/11, tho. But many of us relish the attitude! I sure do. There is no place like NYC.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Fuhgeddaboudit!

Just an observation here;

In my opinion some of what out of towners see as "rudeness" ..... New Yorkers actually see in a very different way. In NYC you constantly need to be a bit agressive and stand up for yourself or else you'll get walked all over like a door mat. Even if you're not agressive by nature, a lot of the rest of the population in NYC is not 'shy' ..... and they'll quickly let you know about it. So for example, while NYers can be impatient with someone fumbling with a subway Metrocard at a turnstile ..... I'll sometimes actually simply take the card out of someone else's hand (without asking but asserting; "Let me") and just swipe it for them myself just so I can go through the turnstile with my own card and posibly catch the train. Now I can see how a tourist might think; "How rude" but I look at it like it's rude for someone to expect me to stand there and wait while they try to figure out how to swipe a Metrocard.

My wife comes from a culture that puts an extreme value on politeness and I often have a hard time getting her to be more agressive and pushy. What's surprising is the flip side of the equation in NYC ..... you can actually get 'pushy' with New Yorkers and we'll probably not see it as impolite at all but accept it as part of the course of everyday life. Another example, I went to Grimaldi's for pizza this week and when it took 30 minutes for my pizza order to come out because they were cleaning the oven, I took the initiative to go speak to the guy in charge and "Bingo", 5 minutes later, mine was the first pie to come out. My wife said; "Just sit down and wait" (politely) but I said; "Screw that ..... either give me my pie or I leave." My point is that the guy I spoke to was also a New Yorker and he wasn't offended at all by my approaching him and pointing out how long we were waiting ..... but my wife was squirming in her seat. There are countless examples of this everday in the big city.

In NYC you need to stand up for yourself ..... and amazingly ..... no one will think it rude of you at all. New Yorkers not offended by 'abrupt' behavior (usually and if it's not over the top) but I can see that if you're used to having everyone smile at you, hold your hand and invest time in all your 'stuff' then sorry ..... "Thanks for being on the show" ..... "We have some great parting gifts so grab one on your way out" ..... "Come again soon".