We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York March 2009 Trip Report - All by my self

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New York March 2009 Trip Report - All by my self

As I have asked a lot of advice on this forum I think it is only right that I provide a trip report. I will also provide a link to my pics.

Just to give you a quick overview before I go into more detail: I have been in NY for 7 days, three of which were for business and 4 for fun. I stayed at the Hampton Inn Madison Square Garden and moved to the Hampton Inn in SoHo. Please stand by for full report :)

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York March 2009 Trip Report - All by my self

Congratulations! Looking forward to all the details!

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York March 2009 Trip Report - All by my self

Day 1. Tuesday March 3rd 2009

On Tuesday my colleague and I arrived exhausted and nervous. We flew with KLM and although we had good seats it was very cramped. My other colleague travelled with BA and he had close to business class in Economy (which is standard I have been told) so if you want to fly a lot more comfortable for a little more, British Airways is the airline to go for if you are flying from Europe. Of course our bags were the last one on the conveyor belt and it took about an hour to get them. Annoying, but I was happy that we made it in one piece. Of course there were some trepidations about the hotel but, when we arrived, it turned out to be more than okay. The hotel staff were warm and friendly and the hotel itself was very clean, comfortable and breakfast was free, which is always a bonus. The location was close to Penn Station and as this was necessary because we had to travel by train to Linden, NJ, it couldn’t be better. It is close to Macy’s, Empire State Building and still walking distance from Time Square, it is one of the better choices if it is your first time.

After we freshened up we walked up to 47th street to Scarlatto’s. An Italian restaurant in the theatre district. The restaurant wasn’t very full but the atmosphere was very relaxed and luxurious, always a nice combo. The gaggle of staff was friendly enough and the food pretty good. I had the excellent crab cakes on a bed of puis lentils for starters. Really delicious and could have eaten that every day of the year and not get tired of it.. The Entrée of Linguine Vongole was ok. Not great but passable. After dinner we experienced the wonderful gaudiness that is Times Square. It was freezing cold but the lights gave the illusion of being warm so we didn’t feel it to badly. When walking back we couldn’t believe the wind chill factor and when I arrived back at the hotel my face looked like an overripe tomato. Before we got to the hotel I stopped at Duane Reade’s, temple to all that is medicinal, (un)necessary and handy, to get a hundred-weight of earplugs and Chesapeake cookies. I walked over to the cash register, my basket filled to the brim, and the girl behind the counter screamed: “Oh my god you like that actress….what’s her name… Can I take your picture?”. I wasn’t sure who she meant but was amused and not a little flattered. I laughed but my colleague with a deadpan face said “I am her agent so if you want a picture you have to pay”. She put her camera away but it confirmed the good feeling I had about this trip. It was going to be great, I was totally sure.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York March 2009 Trip Report - All by my self

Very fun start. ;)

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York March 2009 Trip Report - All by my self

I loved your Duane Reade tale..loooking forward to more.

Fort Worth, Tx
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York March 2009 Trip Report - All by my self

This should be fun, when you post the photo link we can all try and guess which actress you most resemble.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York March 2009 Trip Report - All by my self

Day 2: March 4th 2009

The day started very early: 5 AM. Goodness, I have never really seen 5 am from this side. Usually, it is after stumbling home from a night out that I see the crack of dawn. I know, I am a grown woman, over 40, and I should not really remember these kind of things anymore. I should be more familiar with the ‘sensible’ 5am but I never been much of a morning person. Anyway, I degress.

I opened the curtain and took in the excellent view from my window on the 19th floor, of that tower with the golden roof (what is that building?)

…google.com/juliet1/…5312410605834580834

. We had a late start today so I could get some shopping in before we went to glorious NJ. The trip by train was uneventful and went as planned. When we arrived at the station we grabbed a cab (Joan’s Cars I believe it was called, avoid like plague for reasons explained in a moment) that, from the outside, looked clean enough. Oh, how wrong we were. The cab was falling apart from the inside out, and the axles of the car were surely missing a few screws. The exhaust was on it but let in noxious fumes that made my eyes water. Hey, at least the radio worked. After staring death in the face we arrived shaken AND stirred at our location.

After the meeting with the customer, we had dinner in La Cantine (or something like that) at a mystery town in NJ. Again an Italian restaurant but this one had an enormous menu. Never a good sign, I think. The food was not great and it was all in all a forgettable evening except for the company.

When we got back to the city we went for a drink in an Irish bar and after a few drinks I was so tired I was happy to go to bed not before seeing that beautiful building with the golden roof, all lit up. Bliss.

…google.com/juliet1/…5312410087401569874

Day 3: March 5th 2009

After work I got back into town at around 4. I got in a bit of shopping and bought a few pairs of shoes that were a total bargain as well as some presents for the family. Laden with shopping bags I wanted to pick up my tickets for the show I was dying to see on Friday: The God of Carnage at the Jacobs Theatre. After a bit of deliberation (Dinner or Show?) I walked a few blocks to the theatre where Chicago is shown, and with my discount voucher, got a ticket to see it that evening. I grabbed a quick cup of coffee to tide me over as I had not eaten after lunch as I kinda forget myself when shopping and went in. I was behind a whole platoon of Sailors who were laughing and clapping and made it even more fun! I was glad I had forgone dinner for it and after grabbing a sandwich from one of the deli’s on 5th I went back to my hotel room. I had to get my beauty sleep to keep my filmstar looks and to be ready for the real fun to begin the following day.

…google.com/juliet1/…5312411122314119314

…google.com/juliet1/…5312411216950543010

…google.com/juliet1/…5312411450712447938

MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York March 2009 Trip Report - All by my self

This is fun, I'm looking forward to more of your story.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York March 2009 Trip Report - All by my self

Enjoying your report so far!

PS The building with the golden roof is the New York Life Building:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Life_Building

Texas
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York March 2009 Trip Report - All by my self

Mayalla, what a great trip report! I'm looking forward to hearing more. I'm also enjoying your pics. I have a couple of quick comments and questions. Was that a squirrel in the tree? It was as big as my cat! We don't have squirrels that big in my neighborhood. Also, I was intrigued by the three faces in the building. I couldn’t help but notice they all looked different. Was it the practice of a craftsman to model their faces to resemble real people?

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,910 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: New York March 2009 Trip Report - All by my self

Enjoying your well written report