We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Pass

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New York Pass

We are visiting NY this fall and are thinking of buying the NY Pass. I know we could never do everything that the pass includes, however we do plan on doing at least 6 or more of the things included. (ESB,TOR,Madamme toussards,Harbour Cruise,NBC Tour....etc)From what I can figure, even if we only do enough to break even, it'll be great to have those things pre-paid before leaving home, and it will give us the option of doing extra if time permits....which will be already paid for.

My question is....if we do decide to buy such a pass....can you walk up to things like NBC Tours, The Harbour Tours, or Statue of Liberty ferry/tour,etc...and be able to do it??? Are reservations/bookings necessary? We would prefer to do whatever time permits, meaning not making any bookings,but, I would not want te have my heart set on doing something only to find out that it is booked up!!......I hope this pass will allow this, as it does seem like a good deal. Please advise. Thanks

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
CityRover Walks NY
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Pass

There are a lot of topics on the NY pass, including the FAQs.

My impression is, you can not reserve with the NY pass. Most entrees are 'walk-in' only. For some sights, you can bypass the queues, but usually that is reserved for the not too busy sights ^^

But as you say, it's great to have the freedom to be able to do things in your own time and not have to worry about paying for yet another attraction. It spreads the total costs you make for the trip as well.

Okay, so these are the arguments that made my buy a pass ^_^

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Pass

Here is a very recent thread about the various passes which should be helpful to you:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2616648…

And another one with important information about visiting the the Statute of Liberty:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2642312…

Do click onto the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) "sticky" that is always at the top of the forum's index listing; LOTS of terrific information there!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,367 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Pass

One of the problems with the pass is you can NOT book a reservation at the SOL ferry so you can't be guaranteed a monument pass to go inside.

The pass allows you to skip ticket buyers lines at many places but not all. I personally am not a fan b/c I think it encourages you to go to places on the pass you might not otherwise visit.

I would look look at

goldstar.com

and see if you can find discounts for any of the things you want to visit. (If they're dated, it may be too early for Sept. dates) I've seen online discounts for Mme Tussaud's both there and on broadwaybox.com

If you buy tickets online for ESB you avoid the ticket buyers line (same with SOL/Ellis Island and you can reserve a monument pass). There are combo tickets for Top of the Rock/NBC tour. If you buy individual tickets, the only ones you need to buy in advance are ESB and SOL/Ellis Island and ESB can be done at your pleasure, you don't have to pick a specific day/time.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,926 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Pass

These passes - no matter what city - IMO are not worth the money. They claim you can skip lines (queues) well the only line you skip is the ticket buying line - you still have to go trough security and wait until those who are in front of you are admitted.

Why pay for something you will not fully take advantage of - is beyond me.

They may look like a good deal until you buy one aand find out they are not.

Hey, do whatever you wish - I just don't think this is a good investment.

Poppa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York Pass

Poppa, there are 3 companies who offer passes; the New York Pass, the New York City Pass and the New York Explorer pass are each structured and priced differently, and it is a mistake to lump them all together. I agree that the prospect of skipping lines should not be the motivating reason for buying any of them, but there are indeed savings with all of them -- even if the savings are smaller than touted [e.g., because they all assume that it costs $20 to gain admission to the Metropolitan Museum of Art when we know that it is "pay as you wish"].

I'm not a fan of the New York Pass because of its price and limited time span. But the Explorer Pass was certainly a worthwhile investment for my out-of-town friends who visited in January.

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York Pass

Thank-you to everyone for your input.I guess we have some decisions to make about what will work best for us. There are definitely pros and cons with each. We felt that the NY Pass at $115 for 3 days was a bargain for everthing we wanted to see, as we only have 3 possible days we can use it anyway.

I do love having things prepaid, and the passes do seem to give you some flexibility.We just have to figure out which pass will be best value. Is mid-Sept a busy time there?? In other words, will the prime attractions be booked up?? Thanks again.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,926 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: New York Pass

CockleCove - I know I shouldn't make generalizarions - I just find these passes somewhat tourist trappy.

Good that your people received somne value from their passes - it's just something I have a strong feeling against.

Nothing personal, believe me.

Poppa

Englewood, Florida
Level Contributor
468 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York Pass

Our 3 day NY Passes just arrived in the mail today for our May trip. We chose to buy them because we are traveling on a tight budget so we now know that our attractions/entertainment money has been alloted and exactly what it cost.

We know we won't come close to doing all 50 things, but, there were enough that we had planned on to make it worth the cost. As a bonus there are things we would not have done because of the price such as Madame T's wax museum which now we will do since it is included.

I sat down and made a list from the website of what we would be interested in. From there I went to the actual websites of those attactions and got the admission price. It worked out to save us money.

Have a great trip :)

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York Pass

Hi again,

Destinationdreams, my thinking was much the same as yours.There are a number of things we are definitely going to do and I thought the cost of the pass would be less than those things so we thought it was a good bargain.....when there are other things included, and if time permits, we can do those as well...at no extra cost. I just wondered if anyone had used it, how easy it was, etc etc....

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
353 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York Pass

Hi Newfgal

Me and my girlfriend had these passes last year and I think they where worth the money. I would agree with the statements about not taking it based on its ability to avoid queing for attractions as this is not really the case.

Like you I calculated it on the things I knew I would want to do and it worked out cheaper. I also done eztra things like the MSG tour as it was handy for my hotel.

Some things like the MSG tour are not turn up and go, they have certain times and availability I assume the NBC tour will possibly be the same but if you plan them it shouldnt be a problem.

Last year TOTR was not on the pass this may have changed now tho.