We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip Winter 2009-2010

Melbourne
Level Contributor
12 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip Winter 2009-2010

We are a family travelling to NYC December 2009 - January 2010. Can we get some feed back on our proposed itinerary and if it is possible - due to the weather. I realise hard to say what the weather will be like but if we can get an idea if it is possible. Coming from Melbourne, Australia and we do not have the snow like USA.

6 nights in NYC 22nd December

Drive to Boston 28th December

Providence

Lake Placid?

Buffalo/Niagara Falls

Washington DC

Back to NYC 7th Jan

Any feedback welcome, we are in the planning stages.

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip Winter 2009-2010

Hi Sue,

I can help you but wondering why you are planning to come during this time of year?

Buffalo/Niagara Fall and Lake Placid are beautiful places but this is not the ideal time to visit them.

It will be really very cold and snowy in that area of the country.

The falls may even be frozen.

I would suggest you visit the town of Newport which is closeby Providence. In fact, Newport would be a better option than Providence. However again, since it is the middle of winter it is not the best time of year.

I am thinking you may have aa better time visiting during this time of year if you go to the major cities Boston, NY, DC.

Let me know if you have any flexibility in your dates. If you are set with these dates and must see all of these places, I will help you work it, but I would be cautious of the snow in Buffalo/Lake Placid especially. If a serious storm hits it can derail your whole trip.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip Winter 2009-2010

Sue's traveling at that time of year because it's the long summer holidays in Australia and the kids have time off school!

It'll be cold, but probably not snowing in NYC or DC. Of course, it could happen.

Mentioned in this post
Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip Winter 2009-2010

Buffalo and Lake Placid will be tough at that time of year. :)

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip Winter 2009-2010

Deciding to visit Lake Placid will depend upon what you are looking for. It is a quaint town that is not easy to get to (no major highways) but once you are there there are numerous outdoor options. If you ski, it is a great hill and it is also a good place to learn with lots of long "green" runs. Other options include skating around the Olympic oval, watching kids train on the ski jumps (it was amazing to watch 12 yr old kids climb up the stairs on the outside of the 90 meter tower which they do to get used to the height), and for us the highlight of our trip was actually getting into a bobsled and taking a run down the Olympic bobsled track (you have a driver and a brakeman on board). Yes it will be cold and it is the time of year where you could get major snow.

The snow also applies to Buffalo but if you do go, don't spend the time there...spend it at Niagara Falls about 30 minutes away. Make sure you go to the Canadian side which is where most of the hotels are and there is a more direct view of the falls. Some people have done day trips where you fly to Buffalo from either NY or Boston but it would be a long day. If you decide not to do Lake Placid, you could fly from NY to Buffalo and stay overnight in Niagara with a return to NY the next day (or on to one of the other cities). Check Continental or JetBlue for flights.

As many people have said on this site, you will not need a rental car in NYC so don't get the rental until you are leaving.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Melbourne
Level Contributor
12 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip Winter 2009-2010

Thanks for the feedback. To let you know we are travelling this time of year because it our long summer holidays and the kids are out of school. Also it will be a different experience for our family. We do not have the cold or snow, as you have.

The places you mentioned to visit are on our list to do. We are picking up a car at JFK and were hoping to drive a loop NYC to Newport, Providence, Boston, across to Lake Placid (??), Niagara/Buffalo, down to Washington DC and back to NYC. We then fly to Orlando.

But we may rethink the Niagara Falls/Buffalo - may have to give it a miss. Flights are booked and trying to work out what we can do with the time we have.

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip Winter 2009-2010

FYI

What others have said about the weather is true: snow less likely in Boston, NYC, and a good chance for snow in Lake Placid. Lake Placid is about a 5-hour drive from Boston, and Buffalo is 6&1/2-hour drive from Lake Placid. Then, to drive to DC would be 8-9 hours, BUT the highways you'd probably take on the Buffalo-DC can be treacherous if snowy, and if you're not accustomed to driving in snow, I wouldn't recommend it.

I would also agree with an earlier poster who suggested you wait until the end of your NYC stay to rent a car.

I live in the Lake Placid area and if I can be of help in that area, please let me knoww.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Melbourne
Level Contributor
12 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip Winter 2009-2010

To let you know we are not renting a car while in NYC - super shuttle and subway it will be. Renting car for the road trip.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone.

Mentioned in this post
New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip Winter 2009-2010

You mention picking up a car at JFK; this would be a major mistake; why go all the way to the airport to rent a car? If you are trying to save money and are driving north, you could consider taking a train from Grand Central Station to Westchester (White Plains, for example) and renting your car there but i think the train fares plus the cab to the station will eat up some of the difference; if I were you, I would plan to rent in the city as you depart (you can pick your rental location so find something near either the West Side Highway or the FDR Drive so you can get right on and head north and not have much driving in the city)

Or: you can take a train to Boston, spend a couple of days there and rent your car there for the rest of your stay

Mentioned in this post
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,243 Reviews
New York City, NY
White Plains
White Plains
Westchester County, NY
West Side Steakhouse
West Side Steakhouse
829 Reviews
New York City, NY
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Englewood, Florida
Level Contributor
468 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip Winter 2009-2010

I suggest you forget the car and take the Amtrak train. You can visit the major cities of Boston, Phila, and Washington DC via train with ease for a more relaxing vacation. I would also skip Lake Placid and Buffalo/Niagra Falls due to bad weather.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Trip Winter 2009-2010

Re: train travel. Children 15 and under travel at half-price, and there are discount codes you can use to purchase Amtrak tickets. This site seems to stay up to date on those -- and closer in time, you might very well see ones you can use; the present ones expire before your arrival here.

http://www.railserve.com/amtrak_coupons.html

You could also make use of a 15-day rail pass; more info about rail passes here:

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

I imagine, however, that you may find the price for a family group traveling to all your anticipated destinations to be more than you wish to spend.

One more thing: cancel your plans to use Super Shuttle from the airport to your NYC hotel, and back. They do not enjoy a good reputation here, and a taxi or private car service is very likely to be no more expensive (possibly cheaper) for a group.

Mentioned in this post