We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from SUNY New Paltz to JFK airport

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from SUNY New Paltz to JFK airport

I am trying to figure out how to get my son from SUNY New Paltz college to the JFK airport and back. I don't understand the bus system, and I am not familiar with any of the routes and/or how far away the bus terminal is from the airport etc.

The only help we can get is possibly a ride from the college to the bus station in New Paltz. Both coming and going. Possibly.

Can anyone help me plan this out?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from SUNY New Paltz to JFK airport

Trailways offers bus service from New Paltz to/from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan (just west of Times Square) on a frequent basis:

http://www.trailwaysny.com/index.asp

A taxi ride from anywhere in Manhattan to JFK (or vice versa) is a flat charge (not metered in this case) of $45 plus tolls & tip. If that's beyond his budget, post back and we can lay out other options.

But he should also check to see if SUNY, or its student government, has arranged in the past for direct, charter bus transportation between the campus and the airport at holiday times & the start and end of semesters. If so, that's likely to be offered again; would that meet his needs or does he need to get back and forth at other times?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,427 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from SUNY New Paltz to JFK airport

No worries. The Trailways bus actually stops RIGHT ON CAMPUS. See this page:

http://www.newpaltz.edu/sub/trailways.html

As CockleCove says, the bus drops off at Port Authority Bus Terminal in midtown Manhattan. From there you can take a taxi to the airport, which costs $45 plus tolls and tip ... or take the NY Airport Service bus straight from Port Authority to the airport for only $15.

www.nyairportservice.com/page.php?id=30

If you connect from Trailways to NY Airport Service, you don't even need to leave the bus terminal, though you will need to change gates.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from SUNY New Paltz to JFK airport

GREAT CATCH, jhwanderer! But geez, wouldn't you think SUNY would put that same info in their Visitors information section? :-)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,570 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from SUNY New Paltz to JFK airport

I would venture to guess the majority of the students at New Paltz are NYState residents and going to JFK is not a concern.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from SUNY New Paltz to JFK airport

True, but JFK isn't just an international travel airport; it's, e.g., the hub of JetBlue which serves Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester; its flights to/from those cities leave/land only at JFK.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from SUNY New Paltz to JFK airport

Thank you. Trailways it is! He can take the trailways bus from school to NYC. There he can switch to Greyhound (i think) and head up to Boston.

I did not know Trailways was on campus.

I just love these forums!

Sweetsherry

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get from SUNY New Paltz to JFK airport

If your son won't be dragging a huge duffel bag, think it would be worth it to him to take the subway 1 stop down to W. 34th St. to ride with Bolt. Usually cheaper [can be as little as $1, depending on when you book]; generally nicer buses with more comfortable seats -- or so my niece, also in college, tells me; and most importantly, he'll be guaranteed a seat.

A Greyhound ticket doesn't actually mean you'll get on the bus you think you will; it's entirely possible that you'll have to wait for the next one.

Note: to see the schedule & purchase a ticket to Boston from NYC, you'll need to pick the 2nd NYC location -- W. 34th St. & 8th Ave/Tick Tock Diner -- from Bolt's drop-down menu for the departure cities.

https://www.boltbus.com

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,769 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get from SUNY New Paltz to JFK airport

If he is going to Boston I would reccomend seeing if he could get a ride to the Salsburry Mills/Cornwall train station on SR 94 and taking New Jersey Transit to NYC. You can either get Amtrak or the Bolt Bus at NY Penn to Boston. Here are a couple of links.

www.njtransit.com

www.amtrak.com

www.boltbus.com

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get from SUNY New Paltz to JFK airport

This bolt bus sounds interesting. Looks much faster.

But he is actually going to a small town before Boston. Now I am thinking it might be better for him to actually go all the way into Boston, and have family pick him up.

Right now I have told him to take the Greyhound from New Paltz to either Providence,RI or Newton, MA. I have the schedules worked out and all now. He will have a friend drive him from school to the station.

I did not know that if a station is closed when you get there, it doesn't mean that you can't go. It just means that you must have correct change for the driver.

I am going to look into this bolt bus a bit more, cuz it cuts a few hours off his travel time.

Thanks everyone. This was fantastic. Couldn't have done it alone!

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,769 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get from SUNY New Paltz to JFK airport

If he takes Amtrak to Providence he can get the local MBTA to Boston wich stops at alot of small towns between Providence and Boston.

www.mbta.com