We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9/11 2009

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,039 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
9/11 2009

Is there anything planned year to year to mark the anniversary of September 11 that I could know about now? Do they tend to arrange something different each year as well/instead? When would those plans be made public? I'll be in the city from September 5 - 13 and wouldn't mind marking the day in some way, be it on the 11th or during my stay (separate from the museums, etc.).

Thanks very much!

Kaki

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9/11 2009

I may be wrong but I'm fairly sure they said that last was the last ceremony at the site because they want to concentrate on building

Pretty sure there will be something elsewhere though

I'm there 4- 14 Sept

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9/11 2009

Last I heard that is correct. There was some debate

about that as the families and others want to make

more of it and other New Yorkers just want to move on

from the day. There is the tribute center now they

would be a good source for anything planned for the

day. I would contact them

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9/11 2009

Here are commemorations that I think you can expect will be held again this year, although the September Concerts schedule will probably be curtailed because of fiscal constraints:

* morning bell-ringing, concerts & services throughout the day at both Trinity Church and St. Paul's Chapel, which offered so much aid, solace & shelter to recovery/relief workers toiling at Ground Zero after 9/11

* September Concerts - as many as 100 concerts have been offered, free of charge, on the 9/11 anniversary date

* the New York Buddhist Church's floating lanterns ceremony at Pier 40 - people inscribe paper lantern boats with prayers or messages of peace that are launched onto the Hudson River waters after dusk, following an interfaith service accompanied by contemplative music. This has always been a beautifully bittersweet evening for me.

* presentation of bagpipe & drum music, with short remembrance program, in the British Memorial Garden at Hanover Square Park, near the lower end of Wall St. Last year, it began at 11 AM. This is very evocative for me of the bagpiper & drum ensembles who so faithfully attended all the funerals of the police & FDNY victims.

4. Re: 9/11 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 05:26