We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Ellis Island from Manhattan

SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Ellis Island from Manhattan

I thought I had read the Stanton Island Ferry would take you to Ellis Island but apparently I misreaad.

What is the best way/ferry to get to Ellis Island from close to Penn Station/34th St on Tuesday in June?

SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Ellis Island from Manhattan

I searched TripAdvisor for this information but all I found was close to a year or more old and some of the links mentioned didn't work.

Is Circle Line the only ferry available and should we buy tickets in advance? We are only interested in Ellis Island and not SOL. Any information is appreciated......

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Ellis Island from Manhattan

Check the following website: …about.com/cs/attractions/p/ellisisland.htm

Have a good trip!

SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Ellis Island from Manhattan

Thanks neighbor.....I am in NC as well.......this is good information.....will be my first trip to NYC and I am sooooo excited!

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Ellis Island from Manhattan

Have a great trip and wave to Miss Liberty for me! Spent many happy days in Manhattan. Have family members listed in the archives at Ellis Island, also! Hoist one for me!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Ellis Island from Manhattan

I would also suggest you book online, get a monument pass, etc to save some time. However still expect long security lines (1/2 to 1 hour)

SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Ellis Island from Manhattan

Thanks retiredagent and AI-NYC! I have created another post with more questions......I welcome any information!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Ellis Island from Manhattan

The website to buy your ferry ticket (recommended so you skip the long lines) is www.statuecruises.com . Circle Line is NO LONGER the ferry company with the license to do this.

SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Ellis Island from Manhattan

Thanks kateoz....interesting

Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
419 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Ellis Island from Manhattan

Skip the SOL and spend the time at Ellis Island

SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Ellis Island from Manhattan

That is our plan....we "might" get off the ferry and stroll around the SOL island but I have no desire to wait in line to go inside, would much rather spend the time on EI. Thanks!