We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Small Things...

Cumbria, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Small Things...

My husband and I come from a tiny little village in the Lake District in England and are heading to the bright lights of NYC for a few days in May. This might sound idiotic but we're a bit worried about the little things - such as tipping and getting on the subway. Do you always have to make restaurant reservations or can you walk in and ask for a table for 2? How do you get a slice of pizza - do you have to buy a whole one or can I just ask for a slice of pizza? I know this sounds a bit stupid but hey - if you don't ask you'll never know!

I'm so looking forward to just soaking up the sights and atmosphere!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,100 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Small Things...

You dont have to make restaurant reservations, but if there is somewhere popular that you really want to eat - on a Thurs- Saturday night at 8pm - reserve.

The pizza depends on the place. You can buy pizza by the slice all over the city. There are also places that only sell whole pies (either individual ones, or larger ones). John's Pizza in the Village for example - doesnt sell slices.

There are all sorts of tipping guides online or probably in the Frequently Asked Questions here.

Look for GWB's Idiots Guide to the Subway. But, if youve used the London tube - same principle. As long as you know what direction you want to get the train in, or what the last stop on the line is - its very easy to get around.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,502 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Small Things...

No problem, that's what this forum is for.

1) With most restaurants, all except the fanciest, you can just walk in. The vast majority of restaurants in NYC don't even TAKE reservations. Only the really expensive places do. You may have to wait a little while, but you'll get your table.

2) Most take-out pizza places will sell you a slice of pizza. Generally, if you walk up to the take-ut counter, you'll see a bunch of pizzas behind the counter with slices taken out of them. That's how you know they sell slices.

A few famous pizza places, such as John's, Lombardi's, Patsy's, Totonno's and Grimaldi's, only sell entire pies. Also, if you're having a sit-down meal with waiter service (as opposed to buying at a counter), you're probably at a place where you have to buy a whole pie.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,413 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Small Things...

Many restaurants can be booked on the website

opentable.com

so if there are any you really want to try, you might consider doing that in advance. What hotel are you staying at? Many if not most have a concierge that will make reservations for you.

menupages.com

is a great website to find restaurants and check menus and prices.

There are all kinds of pizza places. Some are serve yourself, just walk in and ask for a few slices. Others have table service and only serve whole pies. Some have both options. ;)

Here's a link to the FAQ

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1948627…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Small Things...

Getting into the subway -- make sure you READ the signs over the entrance to make sure you're getting the line you want, in the DIRECTION you want (oftentimes the entrances to go uptown, say, will be on one side of the street, and entrances to go downtown will be on the other). Also, on the weekend, look for the pale orange and blue signs marked "SERVICE ADVISORY." Reading them can be a bit like deciphering the Rosetta Stone, but it's good to at least give a glance if the line you want to ride is listed there!

Finally, swiping the metrocard... If at first you don't succede, try THE SAME TURNSTILE again. If you switch to another turnstile to try, you may lose your ride. If it doesn't work after a few tries, and not because you have "insufficient fare" (the little display will say), go to a station agent to get in.

Don't worry if you botch the swipe... Even experienced New Yorkers have occasional "Metrotard" moments!

The sticky FAQ about the subways is very good... and it's not at all as intimidating as all the advice may make it sound... we just want you to be prepared for any and all eventualities!

Cumbria, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The Small Things...

Thanks very much for the replys, its great knowing I can come on here and get good advice from people who know what they're talking about - very reassuring. I'm staying at the Millenium Hilton which I believe is way downtown so I'll definately speak to the staff there. Thanks again

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,413 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Small Things...

Here's a link to many posts on eating and sightseeing in the area.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1667852…

Cumbria, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: The Small Things...

thanks for the link - just looked at it now and the restaurants are making me sooo hungry - I want to try everything! Got a feeling the diet will be flying out of the window for a few days but I don't care - I'm going to try as much as I can!

Texas
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Small Things...

<<just looked at it now and the restaurants are making me sooo hungry - I want to try everything! Got a feeling the diet will be flying out of the window for a few days but I don't car>>

You are not alone ikem0!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,413 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Small Things...

You'd be surprised how much walking around will help to burn off those calories. ;) Enjoy.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Small Things...

Nywhiz: I plan to. I can diet @ home. I will not show the same restraint the visitor from CA did. She only ate ONE bite of Junior's cheesecake. I'm still amazed!!!! LOL!