We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from JFK after midnight?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transport from JFK after midnight?

Good morning everyone,

I know NY is the city that never sleeps, but does this apply to public transport? My husband and I are arriving into JFK after midnight and I am wondering whether, at that hour, the only options for transport are taxis? I'm thinking that after 36 hours travel I will want nothing more than to check into the hotel and go to sleep but I am also wondering if there are airport shuttle buses that operate at night that do an airport-to-hotel drop off?

Thanks.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,415 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from JFK after midnight?

There are no functional shuttle buses at night. I say "functional" because SuperShuttle claims to run all night, but I swore never to use them again after they left me waiting TWO HOURS for a pickup at midnight.

However, the public transportation does continue to run. JFK AirTrain to Jamaica run 24 hours, for instance, connecting to the subway, which also runs 24 hours. But I doubt that past midnight after 36 hours travel you're going to want to negotiate that connection, never mind the stairs involved and walking from the subway stop to your final destination.

In other words, just take a cab.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from JFK after midnight?

Thank you, and I will, even in my sleep-deprived state, make sure to get a yellow NYC taxi.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from JFK after midnight?

I've taken the JFK AirTrain between 1:00AM and 5:00AM a few times, it is perfectly fine. The subway and the Long Island Rail Road all run all night. The subways run every 20 minutes at night.

I don't like to sit in a cab after I've been on a plane for a long time but at Midnight (when things are a little less frequent) I might be inclined to jump in a taxi, it is a fixed fare, door to door, very little traffic.

Do not accept rides from anybody offering a ride, use only licensed cabs from the taxi rank where the uniformed dispatcher is stationed.

4. Re: Transport from JFK after midnight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 10:18