We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover help 15 of us, one day in New York

Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
Layover help 15 of us, one day in New York

I need your help...We were scheduled to go to Cancun tommorrow but of course had to change anyways now going to Punta Cana and we have a full day in New York. We arrive at 7am and only leave the next day at 7am. We would need hotel near airport(Newark). What is the easiest way to get into the city with 15 people? What are your suggestions there are 4 of us that have been there before.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover help 15 of us, one day in New York

Van. I would reccomend the Wyndahm airport. They have a verry good diner priced like a regular diner not a hotel restruant. New Jersey also has alot to offer as well.

www.visitnj.org

www.destinationjerseycity.com

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover help 15 of us, one day in New York

Call the Country Inn & Suites Newark Airport directly and see if they can accommodate all of you; they are showing Hot Deals rates online of $87-107 for rooms & 1-bedroom suites with sleep sofa. Clean, comfortable establishment with indoor pool, airport shuttle (although a group of this size may need to make special arrangements).

http://www.countryinns.com/newarknj_airport

I'm suggesting that you contact them first because (a) it's the least expensive place I would recommend, and (b) if they can't put you all up, there is a Residence Inn and Courtyard by Marriott right there on the same cul-de-sac across from the Jersey Gardens Mall, so you should be able to take care of the spillover with 1 call to Marriott's central booking number. Rates at the 2 Marriott properties start at $104 and $94 respectively. But whomever you call, ask if you could also get a group discount.

marriott.com/hotels/…

marriott.com/hotels/…

Once you've settled on lodging, then we can tackle the rest. But in the meantime, let us know if you have to keep all 15 people herded together for sightseeing -- and eating lunch & dinner -- purposes?

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Washington, Virginia
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover help 15 of us, one day in New York

Hotwire is showing a rate of $64 for a 3.5* hotel for tomorrow night in Newark. I put in four rooms with 15 people. You might want to check betterbidding to see if it is possible to identify the property (one of the icons was for an airport shuttle). Have fun in DR, I've never been but it's on my list.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover help 15 of us, one day in New York

I am so sorry I should have said we are leaving the 17th of May that was the only flight we were capable of getting so it does give me a little time to plan......All of the hotels seem pretty close to Newark..and we will get into the city and probably go on the hopon hopoff tour since we only have the one day

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover help 15 of us, one day in New York

Instead of the hop on/off tour where you may waste a lot of time waiting for buses if you hop on and off, I would seriously consider hiring a private guide for that size group, maybe even have them come and get you and do a specially designed tour. Real NY Tours is highly reviewed here.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60763-d11…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover help 15 of us, one day in New York

If you would prefer to tour by vehicle (with Real New York tours, you'll be walking or taking the subway), both OnBoard and Marvelous Manhattan -- which use smaller mini-buses, not motor coaches & so well-suited for the size of your group -- are well-regarded; they each offer private tours in addition to the regularly scheduled ones.

http://www.newyorkpartyshuttle.com

onboardnewyorktours.com/new-york-private-tou…

http://www.marvelousmanhattantours.com

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60763-d63…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60763-d63…

Mentioned in this post
OnBoard New York Tours
OnBoard New York Tours
1,456 Reviews
New York City, NY
7. Re: Layover help 15 of us, one day in New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2009, 07:17