We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grimaldi's Pizzeria

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
408 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Grimaldi's Pizzeria

Gday all, I have been told that Grimaldi's Pizza is the best in NYC... anyone aggree?? or have any other suggustions?

Cheers, Jas.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,941 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grimaldi's Pizzeria

I'm not a local but I've been "hanging around" this forum for months planning our July trip. I know that you can find LOTS and LOTS of threads about pizza by using the "search box" at the top. It seems that there are as many Grimaldi fans as there are John's fans, Lombardi's, Patsy's fans, etc., etc.,.... anyway, you'll get the idea if you search. LOL!

Good luck and happy planning!! :D

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grimaldi's Pizzeria

I don't think there are many locals on this board who would call it the best, but it's good and very popular with visitors. It's pairs well with a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grimaldi's Pizzeria

If you search for pizza, there are plenty of answers to your question. It is a very subjective topic, some likes Grimaldi, others like John's and some don't like either.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grimaldi's Pizzeria

There are certain places that somehow get a "name" with tourists. Locals, who eat here everyday and, might not select such a place.

My fav is Ray's Pizza on w. 11 St. and 6th Ave. (look it up on line, there's quite a history with "Ray's" many incarnations).

Lately I've been liking Bravo Pizza, on 5th Ave. bet 19 & 20 th st. It is near where I work and has good fresh slices. Totally non-tourist, not even famous, but tastes good.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grimaldi's Pizzeria

If you plug in Pizza on this site's search engine you will get pages and pages of comments on this subject. New Yorkers are a contentious lot, and can argue about the best pizza forever. Heck, we can argue about anything.

Grimaldi's is indeed great pizza. But, would I wait on line for an hour to get a pie? No. There are plenty of other great pizza places in New York. You'll get fans for DiFaro, Johns, and even Rays. My own personal favorite is La Villa in Park Slope.

If you do brave the line and grab a pizza at Grimaldi's, there are great dessert places in DUMBO. Walk down the block and hit the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory in the little white house near the water. Or, walk up Water Street and get some amazing chocolate at Jacques Torres.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grimaldi's Pizzeria

I always disagree with that. The only people that think that on a consistent basis are all the other TOURISTS that you will find in the line outside that heard it from a relative or friend also not from the city. There are literally hundreds of places that could claim that title and ask 100 different city folk and you will get 100 answers. It all depends on where you will be when you want to eat pizza that I would recommend so I would need to know what you would be doing either immediately before or after . The short answer is I would never wait in line for their pizza because there are many that you won't wait in line for that are better or just as good.

My favorite this week was a new discovery for me called Kesti's on Bleecker street in the village. Another is Adriennes on Stone Street in the financial district (but there are 3 good pizza places on that one street).

I live in Brooklyn by the way and work 2 blocks from the heretofore mentioned Grimaldi's. If the experts are awake yet you will I am sure get many more responses. Last week a question from a lady in Texas about pizza toppings led to 15 pages and about 160 posts. You may want to read that if you are in a hurry.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grimaldi's Pizzeria

Hey Bil, Remember Nick and Joes on Court Street. It was my go to place in the Heights. Great slices surrounded by tons of Yankee memoribilia. And then one day, it was gone.

There was nothing fancy about Nick and Joes. No tourists came in droves for their pies. If there was a line, it moved rapidly. It was just a great New York pizzaria. One of a thousand. But it was mine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grimaldi's Pizzeria

You might like reading this:

…seriouseats.com/archives/2008/07/a-new-york…

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grimaldi's Pizzeria

Mel; I do remember it. I live right around the corner. You know I have always defended Boston Pizza against NYC. But my every day spot now is My Little Pizzeria right on Court also. Pretty good I must say.

London
Level Contributor
561 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grimaldi's Pizzeria

We walked by Grimaldi's the other evening and were amazed to see a huge line outside. People must have been waiting for an hour. Why bother when there are so many other pizza places?

By the way, if you do feel compelled to go to Grimaldi's, get there by taking the unforgettable walk over Brooklyn Bridge. The nearby Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory is also a great place for dessert.