We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to nyc in june public transportation

texas
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
trip to nyc in june public transportation

me and my partner will be in nyc next month ,

and we are staying in Days Inn Jamaica JFK Airport

i read that they have a shuttle back and fort to the airport, since we have never been there we would like to know if this hotel would be a good option to get transportation from the hotel back to

de airport and get to the city trough public transpotation ( subway) or bus, we are planning to

get metrocards to go througt the whole city,

i hope somebody can give us advice about

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to nyc in june public transportation

From th FAQ Sticky above on this forum.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s301/New-York-…

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,268 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to nyc in june public transportation

Staying at the airport is a terrible way to visit NYC. The airport is NOT in Manhattan, the hotel is near nothing and you will waste huge amounts of time traveling into Manhattan daily. Why are you staying there? If you are on a budget there are many better ways to save money and better hotels? What are you paying each night?

Mentioned in this post
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to nyc in june public transportation

I really think this is a option but not a good choice. Please let us help you find something else. Yes you can travel but you will regret this. This is not the way to see new york.

Let us help you. Give us your dates and budget.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip to nyc in june public transportation

If you are looking to save money, you might consider Long Island City Queens. The hotels in Queens tend to be more economical than the hotels in Manhattan, they're in neighborhoods where you can walk to shops, restaurants and most importantly the subway.

The JFK Airport hotels are very isolated. You can't really walk around, you rely on the hotel's shuttle to take you to the JFK AirTrain. The JFK AirTrain is $5.00 per person each way and it takes you then to the subway or the Long Island Rail Road. This idea works alright in Chicago at O'Hare or in Boston at Logan but it doesn't really work in New York City.

Let us know if you need help finding something within your budget that is more convenient.

Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York
Long Island Rail Road
Long Island Rail Road
197 Reviews
Jamaica, NY
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip to nyc in june public transportation

Ditto.

The three rules in NYC real estate are said to be: Location, Location, & Location. The area around JFK has nothing. While it's OK to stay in if you have an early morning flight, there are no other valid reasons to do so.

Mentioned in this post
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip to nyc in june public transportation

I will agree with everything that has been said above:

Cancel that hotel reservation immediately, and find something else. Even if the JFK hotels were not in the middle of nowhere, miles from Manhattan, without shops or places to eat nearby and not easily accessible to public transportation (and they are indeed in the middle of nowhere, miles from Manhattan, without shops or places to eat nearby and not easily accessible to public transportation), there is also the problem that even the chain hotels are notoriously bad, with dreadful service and in a number of cases notorious prostitution problems. If you stay here, you will not be happy, and you will consider your vacation badly spoiled.

Instead, tell us the exact dates you are coming, and your exact budget per night. People here will then be able to help you find a much more appropriate place to stay that will be much nicer, and easier to get to.

Mentioned in this post
New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip to nyc in june public transportation

The one way commute to manhattan from your hotel is 1.5 hours and the extra cost is $5 each way. If you just do one round trip daily you will spend 3 hours on trains and buses and $20, two trips will cost an additional $40 over the metrocard. Add to that the inconvience of not being able to pop back for a quick shower or a nap, well you can see that that location is a really bad idea for visiting NYC.

As everyone else has said tell us your dates and nightly room budget and the experts here will give you some much, much better options.

Mentioned in this post
texas
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: trip to nyc in june public transportation

hi

thank you all very much who gave me their input.

we are planning to stay june 12 to june 15 and we

want to get a decent hotel close to public transportation (basically would be 3 nights ), so we can sightsee the city and

at the same time dont spend that much in transport

since we are in a budget, we tought that staying in Days inn in Jamaica Jfk was a good option, to take the free shuttle back to Jfk and then take airtrain to the city but since you guys told me i would get charged $5 a trip and the distance to the city would take at least 45 minutes we have cancelled that option, so we are still open to any suggestion, that

would lead us to have a nice time in NYC, we basically want to see Statue of Liberty, Times Square

central park and stuff like that.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
Statue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty
35,822 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
44,069 Reviews
New York City, NY
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
353 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip to nyc in june public transportation

Hi

What sort of nightly budget do you have.

Im glad you where able to cancel the airport hotel

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip to nyc in june public transportation

Here is something on travel zoo. This is a good special.

hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/582417