We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AMTRAK 252 dollars one way NY to Washinghton for family HELP

UK
Level Contributor
82 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
AMTRAK 252 dollars one way NY to Washinghton for family HELP

Myself ,my husband and 2 teen sons are booking to travel in Aug from NY to Union St Washington by rail .Can not find anyway of getting cheaper fares for this one way journey online .252 Dollars is about three times what it would cost our family here. Have had brilliant advice from this forum before. Hoping someone can help please. In UK we get family rail travel and massive reductions for booking early.Is there any reduction available in US that I am not spotting?

THANKS A MILLION FOR ANY HELP

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AMTRAK 252 dollars one way NY to Washinghton for family HELP

Here are a couple of sites that feature discount codes for Amtrak; check and see if your trip is covered by any of them:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/amtrak.com

http://www.railserve.com/amtrak_coupons.html

But actually, for four people, $252 total ($62/person) isn't all that terrible here.

Have you thought about taking the bus?

http://www.megabus.com/us/

https://www.boltbus.com/

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: AMTRAK 252 dollars one way NY to Washinghton for family HELP

Travelling by train is expensive in the US, in my opinion.

Consider the bus if you are not making just a day trip (which isn't a great idea anyway)

Megabus, Bolt Bus (will sometimes have $1 each way fares), Washington Deluxe, DC2NY, and some others are often discussed here.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: AMTRAK 252 dollars one way NY to Washinghton for family HELP

Not sure how old your teenagers are; but if they're under the age of 16, their tickets are half the cost of an adult's.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AMTRAK 252 dollars one way NY to Washinghton for family HELP

Use promo code V722 to chop ~$30 off. How old are the teens?

UK
Level Contributor
82 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AMTRAK 252 dollars one way NY to Washinghton for family HELP

Actually " teens" are 11 and 17 . The advice is great Thanks .We would prefer not to use bus but if cost is so much cheaper will consider it .

On website no way to put in kids ages .

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,808 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AMTRAK 252 dollars one way NY to Washinghton for family HELP

On the Amtrak Web site, right on the front page, it asks for "Adults" "Children (Ages 2-15)" and "Infants (under age 2)". Just enter the right number of people under each category.

Frommers latest list of Amtrak codes: http://www.frommers.com/articles/5952.html

agrees that V722 is the best discount code to DC.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: AMTRAK 252 dollars one way NY to Washinghton for family HELP

When I booked our Amtrak train into NYC the website has you enter the number of passengers under three categories, which are Adults, Children, or Infants.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AMTRAK 252 dollars one way NY to Washinghton for family HELP

On the first page of the Amtrak Website it asks you how many passengers, adults and children.

If you put in two adults and two children (I rounded the oldest's age down to 15) and you use the v722 code it comes to: $187.

Just so you know it costs my wife and I over $200 each time we go round trip from NYC to Albany, NY.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,509 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AMTRAK 252 dollars one way NY to Washinghton for family HELP

Just to clarify the V722 code: it won't give a discount on every ticket purchased. It's a so-called "companion fare": purchase 1 standard Adult fare ticket, get the 2nd Adult ticket at 40% off. You'll type that in the Promotional Code box -- on the page of train selections that comes up after you enter your date(s) of travel and number of people in your party -- just below the drop-down menus for each passenger.

The code works for adult tickets purchased in multiples of 2. So if both teens were 16 or older, you'd get the 40% discount on 2 of your 4 tickets. But the $252 price tag you've been quoted means that Amtrak has already given you the 50% discount on the 11-year-old's ticket.

As whiz said, using V722 means the total price will drop by not quite $30.

UK
Level Contributor
82 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AMTRAK 252 dollars one way NY to Washinghton for family HELP

187 dollars now.THANKS SO MUCH .Savings to be made with a little help..... .Really grateful for all your great tips. Still booking accomodation so no doubt will seek yet more help.Cheers and thanksagain for your time -ADAFITZ x