We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone seen the plays "The Norman Conquests"?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Has anyone seen the plays "The Norman Conquests"?

Good evening New York,

Has anyone been to see any or all of the plays "The Norman Conquests"? My husband and I are looking for something to see on (or off) Broadway while we are in NYC and these look like they would be fun.

Just wondering if anyone would recommend them?

Thanks for any opinions.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone seen the plays "The Norman Conquests"?

I saw them in London and I think the first time they were in NYC. They are a lot of fun. Each play stands alone but you don't get the whole picture until you see all three.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone seen the plays "The Norman Conquests"?

i've seen 2 of the 3 and liked (but didn't love) them. all things considered I think it's a good choice if you like funny british comedy, well acted.

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone seen the plays "The Norman Conquests"?

I've heard raves from friends who saw it in London, and The Times' Ben Brantley loved it too. Here's his review:

…nytimes.com/2009/…24norm.html

If you register with playbill.com (it's free), you can access their discount code, which was recently extended after they sold out the first offering. I'm going at the end of the month for the full-day marathon.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone seen the plays "The Norman Conquests"?

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions, I would probably enjoy these since I am a bit of a fan of British comedy.

Looking forward to getting there now; 11 days to go!!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
240 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone seen the plays "The Norman Conquests"?

If you have time for only one of the plays, which is the funniest? What do you recommend?

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone seen the plays "The Norman Conquests"?

NewToChicago: I haven't seen any of them yet, but have tickets for two of them this week. I have been told that the one to see first, and perhaps the best if you see only one, is "Table Manners," the one that takes place in the dining room. However, I have a friend visiting who saw all three in London 30 years ago and says the one she remembers as being the funniest is the one that takes place in the garden ("Round and Round the Garden"), so we are also seeing that one this week.

FYI, every Saturday, and a couple of Sundays, they do all three (performances at 11.30, 3:30 and 8:00) in one day. They also do "Table Manners" on Friday nights at 8:00, so you could also catch the second two at the 3:30 and 8:00 performances on Saturday.

In addition to the discounts at playbill.com, which I used, I think there is also a discount at the box office for the Saturday trilogy.

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone seen the plays "The Norman Conquests"?

Here's playwright Alan Ayckbourn's advice:

For those who have seen none of the plays but may be wishing to do-so, it is hoped that the following notes may prove useful.

The first thing to remember is, understandably, don't see Table Manners first. This will give you a wrong time sequence and will only confuse you when you come to see, say, Living Together which, incidentally, you are strongly advised not to see second. Ideally, Round and Round The Garden should not be seen before you have seen Table Manners - but do not, on the other hand, fall into that old trap of seeing Round and Round The Garden after Living Together as this again will confuse the sequences of dramatic events. Do not see Living Together first as this will severely curtail a lot of the pleasure you gain from seeing Table Manners for the first time which latter play, for maximum enjoyment you should try and save till the end.

In short, do try and see all three plays first, or, if you really can't manage this, last. This way you will avoid any disappointment. Like most things in this world, there is a logical progression i.e. Parts 1, 3 and finally of course, 2.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
240 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone seen the plays "The Norman Conquests"?

Thanks for the advice. I won't be there on a weekend, so looks like Round and Round the Garden might be the one.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone seen the plays "The Norman Conquests"?

FYI, they generally do "Round and Round the Garden" on Tuesday and Thursday nights, and on Wednesdays they do "Table Manners" at the matinee and "Living Together" in the evening.

10. Re: Has anyone seen the plays "The Norman Conquests"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2009, 08:18