We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pastrami Sandwich

Perth
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pastrami Sandwich

Hi all,

as a first timer to NYC (coming in 3 weeks), I am very keen to get my hands on the best Pastrami sandwich NYC has to offer.

Any suggestions of where I might find such a delicacy? I'll be staying in on West 35th in Manhattan.

Many thanks for your suggestions!!

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pastrami Sandwich

There are many takes on 'best' on here :) We went here: http://www.2ndavedeli.com/ at about 5pm one afternoon, although small they were very accommodating with the buggy and very friendly - and the fact that the sandiches are to die for (in my opinion) is another plus!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pastrami Sandwich

I havent eaten breakfast yet (its 6:18am now) and you've just made me VERY HUNGRY. I havent had a good pastrami on Rye (with mustard) in YEARS.....

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pastrami Sandwich

You may like this thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1234816…

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pastrami Sandwich

The usual suspects here are the Second Avenue Deli and Katzes. Both are traditional old school New York delis, although the Second Avenue Deli has moved from their original location. The Carnegie Deli also has its fans.

For me, the Mill Basin Kosher Deli in the wilds of Brooklyn is a post beach tradition.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pastrami Sandwich

If you don't eat for a couple days before, you'll have room for a pastrami sandwich at Katz's Deli. They're huge, and delicious. 2nd Avenue Deli (NYWhiz recommendation). I haven't eaten there yet, but have heard good things about it. Next trip! =)

in england
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pastrami Sandwich

Please don't all jump on me at once, but what exactly is pastrami?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pastrami Sandwich

Pastrami is a cold cut (think ham or turkey or roast beef) that is typically eaten in a sandwich. It's red meat and slightly spiced. Here's the wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastrami

Personally, I'm not a fan. Give me corned beef and mustard any day.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pastrami Sandwich

2nd Avenue Deli is the place.

Just my opinion but I think Katz's is overrated.

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pastrami Sandwich

That Wikipedia photo is weird, it looks more like ham than pastrami. The photo at the bottom of that page is definitely from the Carnegie Deli though, which I much prefer over Katz's. The Second Ave. Deli is right up there with the Carnegie though.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Pastrami Sandwich

A friend from NYC of Jewish heritage - once explained to me that pastrami was what bacon is to a pig. Not sure if that's a good explanation one thing I am sure of NYC deli pastrami is GOOOOOOD! I've had it at all the usual suspects, Carnegie, 2nd Ave, Katz's, the old Herald Square Deli, Stage Deli and some others whose names I can't recall at the moment.

Done right it is tender, melt in the mouth tasty.

Always a good choice for a sandwich on rye.

Poppa