We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry, but a Tipping Q

Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sorry, but a Tipping Q

Is the $2-$5 per day tips for your room-maid per room or per person ? There will be 3 of us.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
352 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorry, but a Tipping Q

I usually leave what small change I have no less than a couple of dollars.

I have never thought but I would say per room.

I was happy with the cleaning so I left a bigger tip on my last day. Having said that it was the same cleaner everyday other hotels it could be different

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorry, but a Tipping Q

Per room. But leave her at least $5 since she will spend more time on your room than a room with just 1 bed and 1 guest. And maids' work is much harder now because of the thicker, heavier mattresses being used, more pillows, etc.

query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html…

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorry, but a Tipping Q

You should also take into consideration how much of a mess you make. Three little old ladies who feel an urge to make the bed themselves and who leave the room neat as a pin might be excused for tipping on the lower end of the scale. However, three guys who, for example, use all the towels, go out of the room with shoes and socks still tossed about, and who leave the trash bins filled with beer cans and pizza boxes, should be extra generous because of the extra work cleaning up after them entails.

4. Re: Sorry, but a Tipping Q

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2009, 06:20