We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

special place to celebrate birthday with music

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
special place to celebrate birthday with music

nywiz/ - any thoughts on a special place for my birthday... meal and music..soul/blues/jazz. like most music --somewhere central as i'm trying to get hotel around times sqare please... thanks

this is december 17th

thanks for any help

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,612 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: special place to celebrate birthday with music

If you worry about eating near your hotel, you won't see most of NYC. The transportation system or taxis can take you anywhere you want to go. Also, most places with music don't have great food. Most NYers would probably go out for dinner and then follow at a place for music but here are a few ideas. If you want ideas for doing that, you have to give us an idea for kind of food and budget/ambiance.

In Times Square, the jazz places are Iridium and Birdland, both get great jazz but food is average or below. You can easily eat elsewhere first and then go for music. BB King's also in Times Square has 2 areas with music, the bar and the main area and they have different kinds of music besides jazz. Their food again is just "ok."

http://www.bbkingblues.com/

Dizzy's Coca Cola is in the Time Warner building at Columbus Circle and has some nice views, excellent jazz and decent food. But again, it's not about the food, it's about the music and the view. This is a very lovely place and the food ranges from casual things like burgers to regular meals with a southern bent (ie fried chicken)

http://www.jalc.org/dccc/menus.html

The places with good reputation for food and good jazz are:

Knickerbockerbarandgrill.com

known for great jazz (on weekends only) and good steak. This is in the village.

Blue Smoke/Jazz Standard

Blue Smoke is known for their BBQ (and burgers) and the downstairs Jazz Standard is a well regarded jazz joint. YOu can eat downstairs too.

Blue Water Grill is known for their seafood and has live jazz downstairs. You can eat up or down.

bigapplejazz.com

has a listing of many more jazz clubs. The Garage in Greenwich Village is popular although I find their food just ok and a bit overpriced for dinner (they have a very inexpensive weekend brunch with live music).

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
44,210 Reviews
New York City, NY
Birdland
Birdland
647 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Time New York
The Time New York
679 Reviews
New York City, NY
Columbus Circle
Columbus Circle
317 Reviews
New York City, NY
Blue Smoke
Blue Smoke
1,542 Reviews
New York City, NY
Jazz Standard
Jazz Standard
339 Reviews
New York City, NY
Blue Water Grill
Blue Water Grill
943 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,501 Reviews
New York City, NY
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: special place to celebrate birthday with music

NYWHIZ.. you're magic thank you.. lots of good things here... understand what you say about staying close.. just a little frightened at the moment..sure i will get over this once there!!! thanks again

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: special place to celebrate birthday with music

What do people think about this at BB Kings please.... do you think I should book inadvance?

RONNIE SPECTOR - XMAS PARTY 19 or 20.12.09

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: special place to celebrate birthday with music

BB Kings is a big loud place that if you have a big group for a party could be fun and they sometimes have big name music acts--- I would not go there for the food. It all depends on the atmosphere you are looking for.

NYC
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: special place to celebrate birthday with music

Birdland is everything I like in a music venue. Well laid out, sophisticated without being stuffy. I would call the food better than average and they don't gouge you on the prices.

I gather you'll be in NYC on Friday. Not your birthday, but still...the Birdland Big Band is a must see. Make a reservation or you might end up at the bar (which is not so bad). They play from 5:15 to 7. Yeah, it's early but a lot of the musicians play in Broadway shows, so they need to make the 8pm curtain. This is a totally unique New York experience.

BB King's has it's good points, it's a nice room, but it's a lot of what I don't like in a music venue. But if there's someone I want to see, I'll go.

I strongly suggest you dine elsewhere, unless you like paying a lot for pretty bad food. They're lucky to hit average on their best day.

Spend the money on alcohol. The more you drink the less you'll mind that they've seated 10 people at what should be a table for 6.

But hey, the Ronnie Spector thing is fun, so make a reservation and go for it.

Last thought. Near all the music venues there are really excellent restaurants. Maybe you should split you birthday celebration into 2 parts, music and dining separately.

Mentioned in this post
Birdland
Birdland
647 Reviews
New York City, NY
NYC
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: special place to celebrate birthday with music

By the way, bilmin09, just to put your mind at rest, I don't play in the Birdland Big Band.

Mentioned in this post
Birdland
Birdland
647 Reviews
New York City, NY
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: special place to celebrate birthday with music

thank you both.... I love ronnie s so thats what pulling me on either the 19/20th... and it's christmas and no doubt there will be a great xmas feeling....

BUT for the 17th hmm.. this I did want to do something excellent so will check out what you have told me...

there's just a friend and me so dont want to get lost amongst large parties...... might make me miss my other half too much!!! (he chose not to dome on this trip!!!)

If you have any other thoughts please forward..appreciate it...

8. Re: special place to celebrate birthday with music

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2010, 05:16