We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report...a disapointment

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
trip report...a disapointment

May 28-31. My husband owed me this trip after he got to visit friends overseas, while I stayed home with our 2 yr old. Both of us had been to NY before, seperately, but from his descriptions, it was clear he had not truly experienced it. I was thrilled to plan a great trip for us. We love to wine and dine, so food would be a great part of the trip. I made reservations at some great places. We were staying at the Thompson LES. I was excited.

I found out I was pregnant, and would still be in my first trimester during the trip. Praying for no morning sickness fell on deaf ears. I have been sooo sick. So our trip comes around, and I can't even fathom eating. I canceled most of the reservations, aside from 2. I was bummed. But there's a bright side.

I have quickly realized I have a very short window, once hunger does strike, to avoid getting sick. It's about 30 min. Let me say this about NY. There is great food everywhere. I was so caught up in reading about the best this or best that in where to eat, and frankly, it was unimportant. This baby seems fond of pizza, and I ate a lot of it. Anywhere, and everywhere. I couldn't tell you the names of the places, but I don't think it matters. It was all good. When that feeling would hit, we would find a little corner cafe, or bistro, and would have the best meals. The places were full of locals, and had character. I felt like I had had an epiphany. I came away with a new perspective. I think, on future visits, I will focus less on the hot place to eat, and just explore each neighborhood for that gem.

As for what we did...We just walked around each neighborhood. I tended to tire easily, and needed naps, so we didn't pack in as much as I thought we would. But just truly getting to know the city was priceless. We sat on benches and watched the people go by. We walked through Central park. We lingered, and it was great.

We did eat at Keens. I couldn't deny my husband that experience. I nearly upchucked at the sight of all that meat, but luckily the baby kept it together. We also ate at Shang, in the hotel, just because we had a $100 credit. I knew it was going to be tough for me, and boy was I right. It's a couple weeks later, and I still get nauseous thinking about Asian food. The food was actually ok, but the service was absurd. All I wanted was pizza.

I've been very fortunate in my life to travel the globe. But nothing, nothing, compares to how I feel about NYC. I've lived the life of a gypsy, never truly calling anywhere home. So how can a place I've never lived in, feel so much like home to me? Everywhere I've gone, I've always been ready to return to my house upon trip completion. NYC is different. I have never wanted to leave, and in fact, am usually in tears the last day of the trip. It truly feels like I belong there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report...a disapointment

So sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well, but glad to hear that you still managed to have a great time under the circumstances. Hopefully some of your love of the city is being imparted to the future traveler!

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report...a disapointment

I opened your post thinking it was going to be about a negative experience(s) in NYC. I was pleasantly surprised to read about what a good time you had, despite the upset tummy now and then. Congratulations and bravo for making the trip despite your reservations about morning sickness.

I have to agree with you --the little local joints are often the best places to eat and people watch. You're miles ahead of some visitors - the ones who come to NYC and are only comfortable eating at the "chain" restaurants. Glad you got your well deserved "bite" out of the Big Apple. Sounds like you're going to be returning soon -- and posting here about tips for traveling with a baby and stroller! Hope your pregnancy is uneventful and comes to a joyous conclusion!!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report...a disapointment

"I came away with a new perspective. I think, on future visits, I will focus less on the hot place to eat, and just explore each neighborhood for that gem."

Looks like those hormones have made you wise! IMHO, that is the best way to eat your way through NYC. Happy to know you discovered that on your own.

Of course, we'll continue to give people recos of trendy and popular "foodie" spots if they request them, but it's really not necessary at all.

P.S. Have you tried carrying chewable ginger with you? Most health food stores and places like Trader Joe's have bags of ginger cubes that can temporarily reduce or stop severe nausea. It will at least buy you another 5 minutes to get to a snack.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report...a disapointment

I enjoyed your reflections very much. I know morning sickness can be trying to say the least, but you certainly made the most of it! Congratulations on your upcoming baby and a happy trip to NYC!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report...a disapointment

Now if you think morning sickness is a drag ..... just wait till that magic moment ...... when a 10 pound baby decides to crawl out from inside ya'. And that my dear is the reason men don't get pregnant ..... cause ..... yikes!!!

Great trip report. Good luck (and if it's a boy then please consider 'Lotuspath' as a possible name)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report...a disapointment

I will definitely pass along the name suggestion to my husband, Lotuspath! LOL.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report...a disapointment

<<and if it's a boy then please consider 'Lotuspath' as a possible name>>

It would be quite unique. I've taught many a boy child, but never a "Lotuspath". LOL

Georgia
Level Contributor
61 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report...a disapointment

You penned it perfectly. I feel the same way. It truly feels like I belong there.

meath
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report...a disapointment

hi, glad you managed to enjoy your trip and congratulations on your pregnancy

I teach prenatal classes so read anything I find on pregnancy, thought I'd share this with you

"Every morning one awakes and rejoices on the miracle growing within ...

... it is said that dry crackers helps one to deal with such miracles"

I hope you get a chance to return at a later date and vist all those restaurants you missed out on

Liverpool
Level Contributor
90 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip report...a disapointment

Oh dear, poor you, I can't think of anything worse then being in New York with morning sickness, all I wanted to do with all my 3 was hide under a duvet for 8 weeks till it was over...lol

Ditto the last paragraph =)))