We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A quick trip to NYC - 2 Scots, 2 and a half days.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
A quick trip to NYC - 2 Scots, 2 and a half days.

My sister Christine (C) and I are just back for a week in the US, Sat - Tues in NYC, Tues - Sat in Vegas. What a trip! Amazing. This is what we got up to in Ny. Hope you find it interesting ive never posted a trip report before.

This was our 2nd trip to New York together, once last Feb. C has been once before that.

Sat 30th May -

Flew from Glasgow to Philadelphia with US airways, a quick stop for a couple of hours then onto NYC! The plane to NY was tiny and very scary! It was only a 44 seater and was very bumpy! At one point the plane must have fell quite a few feet and everyone screamed but then we were all laughing! Nothing could dampen our spirits!

On arrival to LGA we were relieved to get off the plane. I had booked a luxury sedan from dial 7 as a surprise. Wanted to travel in style! Car arrived really quickly so within 5 mins of picking up our luggage we were on our way! Journey to the Chelsea Lodge on west 20th st was $36, plus tip.

Chelsea Lodge was in a great location, just off 8th and west 20th. A small hotel with friendly staff. We had to share a toilet but this was not a problem, we never once had to wait or even seen anyone else use it. Very clean. Room was pretty small but we only slept here so wasnt a problem. Got it for $150 per night so were pleased we had got such a good location for the money.

Went straight out to get some food and a drink. Had done some research into nearby bars/diners etc and heard the Dish on 8th Ave was good so went there. Had pasta and a cosmo and it hit the spot. C had a coke and a couple of side dishes think the bill was about $30. So we walked down 8th ave to check out the neighbourhood (I love saying that its so american!) It was so lovely. Walked right down into Sohoand enjoyed just looking around at the buildings, the people sitting out in the street outside the bars enjoying a drink, people walking their dogs and generally just the New York vibe.

Walked onto 6th Ave and noticed the streets had no traffic, lote of police were around and people were lining the streets. Whats going on we wondered, after listening to a few people we realised it was the president who was in town, he had been in the West Village and was making his way uptown! Couldnt believe what we had stumbled upon! After a few minutes the cars and the police motorbikes came past and the crowd were all cheering, it was indeed Barack and Michelle! What a brilliant start to our trip. We were taking pics and the camera said no memory left, i checked inside and couldnt believe it, had left the memory card at home. What an idiot.

So off we went to find a shop to get a memory card! After a lot of walking around the west village and soho we found one, so went to complete our quest of getting to Brooklyn to walk across the bridge.

This was the beginning of our disastrous relationship with the subway. I just cant fathom it. Thought we were prepared and had a map, got the train to Brooklyn, but must have got on the wrong one as instead of stopping at the start of the bridge, we ended up right in Brooklyn nowhere near it. So we got on another one and took it to Clark St, ( i think) and eventually found the bridge. The view was beautiful, well worth it. We stopped to take pics but they never worked very well. Must have been the movement from the road underneath as they were all very blurry and we are usually good at taking pics! Dissapointed but still the view was amazing.

So decided to walk to Wall st when we came off the bridge and get the train to 23rd st. We got on the right numbered train but alas never paid attention because we quickly realised we were going the wrong way. Got off at the next stop, and yes you guessed it we were back in Brooklyn! Back at the bridge we spent 40 minutes walking across. We were tired and jet lagged by this time, about 10.30pm so got in a cab back to the hotel and went to bed!

Day 2 to follow!

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
West Village
West Village
1,369 Reviews
New York City, NY
GLASGOW
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A quick trip to NYC - 2 Scots, 2 and a half days.

Great trip report so far, cant believe you saw the president, must have been sooo exciting. I have my first trip 6 weeks on saturday and counting!! i've booked the pod hotel, heard it's quite small but I dont care. Sounds like ill need to do some studying of the subway map!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A quick trip to NYC - 2 Scots, 2 and a half days.

Enjoyed your first installment and looking forward to the next one.

By the way, you say, "So we walked down 8th ave to check out the neighbourhood (I love saying that its so american!)." Just out of curiosity, how would you describe this activity differently in Scotland?

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
NYC
Level Contributor
920 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A quick trip to NYC - 2 Scots, 2 and a half days.

Read your post on another thread about the subway: yup, millions of us here are pure genius.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A quick trip to NYC - 2 Scots, 2 and a half days.

Ha ha i just meant 'neighbourhood' was so american. We would just say area or something. I love saying american words, sidewalk, trash etc. I know its totally stupid but we brits love it!

in england
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A quick trip to NYC - 2 Scots, 2 and a half days.

There must be something about us lot from the uk, I thought it was only me who seemed to end up in Brooklyn,when I needed to be somewhere else! But I've found there are lots of us! Maybe we should form a club!!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A quick trip to NYC - 2 Scots, 2 and a half days.

So on Sunday we woke really early, about 7am but couldnt sleep in so got showered and straight out. We had read about the Empire diner on 10th Ave, looked like a good place with good american food so headed there. Was a little dissapointed, They didnt have a varied breakfast menu, maybe because on Sundays brunch is popular? We were a little early if this is the case. I had eggs and sausage and tea, C just had a muffin, she is a very fussy vegetarian! She loved the toasted muffin and coffee, bill (the check!) was around $15, left a tip and off we went. We wanted to visit some flea markets so we visited one in Chelsea, forget the street but wasnt exactly what we were looking for. We headed to Hells Kitchen, just walked there, half an hour or so but was a lovely day so was a pleasant walk. Out came the factor 20 it was so hot! And 2 pale scots and scorching sun are not a good combination. Hells kitchen market was really good, a lot of antiques if thats what youre into, we loved looking round all the stalls. Bought a few pairs of vintage earrings but that was our only purchases. After a lot of walking around and taking in the neighbourhood we needed to get out of the sun and have a light refreshment. ( of the alcoholic variety) So we got the subway , successfuly this time and headed to the Trailer Park lounge and grill, on 23rd st at 8th. We had found this place online and really were looking forward to seeing it. Its so tacky and kitsch, exactly our cup of tea. Its decorated with vintage signs, old pictures of music and movie stars of old, has fairy lights everywhere and a big caravan beside the bar! And some really tacky Elvis memorabilia, it was great! We were the only customers for a while though, everyone was outside! Had a long island ice tea each, this is my drink of choice and it was mixed perfectly! Hmmmmm! C couldnt drink hers it was far too strong so bought a coke to make hers into 2. Still couldnt drink it so i had hers! I started to feel a bit tipsy so had some food. We had plans to go for drinks later, didnt want to peak too early! I had a cheese burger with a side of sweet potato fries, this was the first id ever tried them they were lovely! C had a couple of side dishes, tater tots! We were dying to try them, they were good, and she had a side dish of mac n cheese. This was big enough for a main dish! The food was really good, enjoyed the experience of this bar and the music was really good. Old 50s and 60s stuff.

Paid the bill, around $60 inc tip, man those LIITs arent cheap but sooo good.

We went back to the hotel, only 3 blocks away and relaxed for a couple of hours before we headed back out. We headed to an Irish bar i had found on the net, Peter McManus, on 19th st at 7th. The only Irish thing about this place was a flag on the wall! But we really enjoyed it in here, they had a brilliant jukebox so fed several dollars in here and enjoyed some good music while we had a few drinks. We got chatting to a few people in here and took some good pics and after a couple of hours we headed back to the Trailer Park lounge, wanted to see the place when it was busy. It was really good, a good mixed crowd of all ages and we got chatting to a few people in here too. Everyone is so nice in NY, in America in general, we always got chatting to someone and everyone makes us so welcome to the city.

Anyway this is where it gets hazy, i cant remember anything after this, but C informs me we got pizza and went back to the hotel, stopping as i was demanding photos taken in various stupid poses, with a bike, with some kind of zimmer frame that had been discarded. I saw the pics the next day and knew i must have had a couple of LIITs i didnt know about. The pizza looked good, wish i could remember what it tasted like! A really good night, i apologise for bringing drunken scottish behaviour to your lovely sophisticated city!

GLASGOW
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A quick trip to NYC - 2 Scots, 2 and a half days.

Sounds great so far! I fancy going an irish bar, did you visit any more?

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A quick trip to NYC - 2 Scots, 2 and a half days.

liking the trip report- its brill, your getting me excited.

I am staying at chelsea lodge in October over haloween, and getting hitched in Vegas. are you doing a vegas trip report?

I am going to pre book a taxi with dial 7 at that price and make notes on that trailer park , sounds just like us.

i bet them photos are good too, on the bike and with the zimmer frame.

i cant wait to take lots of pics! bring on the next instalment.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
444 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A quick trip to NYC - 2 Scots, 2 and a half days.

Oooh, I just looked up the Trailer Park, and it looks just my thing too! I will have to get me a pitcher of margarita, in the style of Joy from My Name Is Earl ;o)

Great trip report, nice to get a Glaswegian point of view!

Ozark, Missouri
Level Contributor
507 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A quick trip to NYC - 2 Scots, 2 and a half days.

You are indeed making me laugh!

That was the ultimate celebity sighting--wow.

I once had a Long Island Iced Tea--couldn't leave the bar for 3 hours.

It is so comical that you enjoy saying words you find particularly "American." I love watching the BBC; I annoy my husband and son for hours afterwards saying things I find uniquely British.

I am curious to read the rest and see how you compare NYC to Las Vegas. I visited both in the same week, too--I will take New York any day over Las Vegas.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States