We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When should i leave for JFK airport

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Topic
When should i leave for JFK airport

Ok on my return journey back to the UK my flight is at JFk at 9pm and my hotel is in Times Square

I will be getting a cab to the airport so roughly what time should i leave for the airport

I would prefer to spend as much time as possible in the city

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: When should i leave for JFK airport

I would say no later than 5:00 PM (1700 hours)!

Nashville
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: When should i leave for JFK airport

Poppa, my flight from LaGuardia is at 7 pm on a Friday evening and my hotel will be near Times Square. What time should I leave for LGA?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When should i leave for JFK airport

Hmmmm....

Leaving Times Square at 5:00 pm (especially on a weekday) is catching a cab in the most crowded part of the city at the absolute worst time of day. Oh, and be aware that many cab drivers switch shifts around 5:00 pm or so....

Add in the fact that you'll be hitting rush hour traffic the entire time.

If you're at all physically able, and without massive amounts of luggage, may I suggest taking the 'A' train or the 'E' train to JFK? Or, alternatively, the LIRR from Penn Station (on 34th/8th)? If you do either of those, you may be able to leave at 6:00 pm, with an arrival at JFK between 35 and 70 minutes later depending on the method.

(BUT, make sure to leave enough time for your own comfort level and confirm with the airline the exact time of the last possible check-in!)

south yorkshire
Level Contributor
177 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When should i leave for JFK airport

We have a 9.40 pm flight (it's a Monday) back to the UK from JFK.We will be booking a car to pick us up from The Grand Hyatt.We will have checked in online so need to be there for about 7.30pm. What time should we book the car for. Thanks.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When should i leave for JFK airport

Asking how long it takes to get from midtown to JFK is an almost impossible question to answer precisely because nobody can predict traffic patterns, construction, weather, and accidents on the road.

If you're incredibly lucky, the trip will take 30 minutes. If you're not lucky, it could be 100 minutes (which happened to me once). If you leave NY at 6:45 pm, the actual time could be midway between those two extremes.

This is why I highly encourage anybody going to JFK during the day to use public transport rather than a taxi. Unless there's a serious problem with the LIRR or subway, the travel time is much easier to predict.

6. Re: When should i leave for JFK airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2009, 06:22