We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping for a "free" service - airport shuttle/bag storage

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
tipping for a "free" service - airport shuttle/bag storage

Before you ask, yes I have put "tipping" with many different combinations into the search feature and didn't find an answer to my specific question. :)

The hotel I'm staying at has a free shuttle from LGA. I am assuming I will need to tip the driver, my question is how much? I am comfortable working out percentages and tipping bellboys ($1 per bag, $2 minimum), but I haven't ever really used an airport shuttle before. Is $2 or $3 enough? The hotel is literally across the street from the airport if that matters.

Half way through my trip I will be changing hotels, the second hotel is going to be holding my luggage for me for several hours until check in time. Do I tip the front desk people for that, or just the bellboy(person?)? Is that in addition to the normal $1 per bag tip?

Thanks!

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping for a "free" service - airport shuttle/bag storage

You don't tip the free shuttle guys. He would drive that same route back and forth all day whether or not you got on board. It would be like tipping a bus driver.

As for luggage storage, I usually give a dollar or two to the person who I hand off the bags to.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,272 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping for a "free" service - airport shuttle/bag storage

I "do" tip the free shuttle guys, mainly if they help with luggage.

Stillwater, OK
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping for a "free" service - airport shuttle/bag storage

I second that, IrishFan. I feel $1 or so is sufficient.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,092 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping for a "free" service - airport shuttle/bag storage

IMO shuttle guys get tipped if they handle your luggage. If all they do is drive you and you shlep the luggage yourself than it isn't ( again, IMO) necessary to tip) Holding luggage is part of a hotel service, so once again--tips only to those who actually handle the luggage--not to the front desk, they didn't do anything!

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping for a "free" service - airport shuttle/bag storage

Thanks everyone! I'm a little nervous about the whole tipping thing, I normally only encounter it here at restaurants but from reading through all the posts I think I'll pick up on it quickly.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
442 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping for a "free" service - airport shuttle/bag storage

I tip shuttle drivers if they handle my luggage or if they are just pleasant!!!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping for a "free" service - airport shuttle/bag storage

Tipping in Greece!

This post reminds me of when I went on a package holiday to Greece many years ago and the greek transfer driver was very impatient and rude, especially to the accompanying rep who obviusly had to remain cool and calm with a smile.

Because a tip is the method of showing appreciation I dropped the smallest coin I had into his tips basket (I think it was equivelent to about 2 cents). He definitely got the message and I got the satisfaction of watching him throw the coin in my direction in a fit of rage!!!!

8. Re: tipping for a "free" service - airport shuttle/bag storage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2009, 06:23