We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six hours in Manhattan... need an itineray!

Pennsylvania USA
Level Contributor
272 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Six hours in Manhattan... need an itineray!

My boyfriend has always wanted to go to NYC so for his birthday I'm buying us bus tickets for the day. The bus drops us off in the Theater district and we have from 12pm to 6pm to see the city before coming home. What should we see while we are there? We don't have much time and I am not familiar with NYC at all. I'd like to see Times Square and Central Park and other things around there... and where is the Theater District? I'm sure I should know that but I don't know anything about Manhattan... And what would be the most time efficient way to do all these things? Thanks so much for your help =)

Pennsylvania USA
Level Contributor
272 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Six hours in Manhattan... need an itineray!

and I just noticed that I butchered itinerary...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Six hours in Manhattan... need an itineray!

The Theater District and Times Square are more or less the same thing.

Central Park is a 15-minute walk north of Times Square.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Six hours in Manhattan... need an itineray!

If I were you I would pick up a guidebook on NYC - your local library may have some available - get an idea of the lay of the land as it were - check the map to find out what is where.

Six hours is not much time - but some guidebooks have suggested itineraries for short time visitors.

Poppa

Pennsylvania USA
Level Contributor
272 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Six hours in Manhattan... need an itineray!

Thank you! My boyfriend is really interested in seeing the Empire State Building as well; how much time would we need to allot to see it?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Six hours in Manhattan... need an itineray!

ESB could take up a big part of your short time there and a lot of that time could be spent queueing. We went first thing in the morning and the queues weren't too bad but they were building up when we came out around 10am. From reading threads on this forum I now wish the we had done Top of the Rock instead and many people prefer it.

Pennsylvania USA
Level Contributor
272 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Six hours in Manhattan... need an itineray!

I know that if you buy tickets online you skip the ticket queue; would that save any time or are there just a lot of lines in general? Thank you for the Top of the Rock suggestion as well; I will definitly check that out.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Six hours in Manhattan... need an itineray!

You still have to go through security at ESB. If you choose the TOTR you also get a good view of the ESB - TOTR would be my choice, usually smaller or no queues.

Poppa

Pennsylvania USA
Level Contributor
272 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Six hours in Manhattan... need an itineray!

Thank you for your input! I checked out the TOR website and it looks really nice, and the less wait the better. So Times Square, TOR, and Central Park.. are there any other places in that general area we shouldn't miss? Or do you think those three things will take up our 6 hours? I appreciate the help so much!

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Six hours in Manhattan... need an itineray!

Haven't been to NYC yet but I have been working on my own itinerary and I'm thinking that those three things should be plenty for six hours; especially if you plan on stopping for something to eat(have you thought about eating?). Maybe after bumping this up a little for you, someone with more knowledge than me could confirm this or not. Have fun!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Six hours in Manhattan... need an itineray!

If you look at a map you'll see that Times Square runs

from 42nd St. to about 48th St. on Broadway and 7th Avenue. The theater district is all around it on side

streets with a few on Broadway itself. Central Park starts at 59th Street on the south and runs from Fifth Avenue to Central Park West. If you want to know what's where in the Park you should go to their website. This is the part of the city where there are lots of great things to see. From famous stores like Saks Fifth Avenue- across Fifth Avenue from Rockefeller Center, to St.Patrick's Cathedral- cross the side street 50th St.(Ithink) from Saks Fifth Avenue, to the Museum Of Modern Art.So just walking up

Broadway and across 50th Street you can see Times Square, Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center Gardens, Top of the Rock -although I'm not certain where the entrance to that is but certainly near by,

Saks Fifth Avenue and St. Patricks Cathedral.Certainly

something for everyone. If you stop in at these for a tour, peek and grab a hot dog or pretzel and find an atrium or pocket park to eat it in you'd have a great day. If you just walk this and then go up Fifth avenue you'll run into Central Park where you can sit down and rest and watch New Yorkers at play.

Have a great time.