We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4 Musical: South Pacific or West Side Story?

Waynesville
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
July 4 Musical: South Pacific or West Side Story?

We'll be in NYC (for the first time) July 3-7 to see Broadway shows. We have tickets to Billy Elliot and the Norman Conquests. We also had tickets to Guys & Dolls, but it just closed. We are thinking about South Pacific for the evening of July 4, but since we are staying at the Marriott Marquis (to be close to the theaters), I'm a little hesitant to venture far from that area. Is it going to be a terrible problem getting by taxi to Lincoln Center & back on the night of July 4? If so, what's the next best bet to see a musical production of a traditional show - West Side Story?

Also, is it better to have front row seats on orchestra right at the Vivian Beaumont Theater or back row orchestra center seats?

Thanks!

HeathMO

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 4 Musical: South Pacific or West Side Story?

South Pacific!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July 4 Musical: South Pacific or West Side Story?

this should not be a problem that night in that area but you also have the option (probably better) of the subway at 42nd street #1 to 66th street- across the street from Lincoln Center- go for South Pacific

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 4 Musical: South Pacific or West Side Story?

"" Is it going to be a terrible problem getting by taxi to Lincoln Center & back on the night of July 4? ""

No !!! Just raise your arm in either direction, and a cab will appear. By the way you can get there by walking, buses, or a quick hop on the subway.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

NB, canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July 4 Musical: South Pacific or West Side Story?

Marriott Marquis to Lincoln center is 1.3 miles. Very walkable.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,493 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July 4 Musical: South Pacific or West Side Story?

First, do not worry at all about getting to Lincoln Center - take the subway. It's easy, fast, cheap, safe and will be LOTS more fun than a taxi. Or, if you like to walk, you can walk it in about 20-25 min and that will be the most enjoyable way of all. You'll be surprise at how many people are out on the street even after the show lets out, the streets will be quite busy.

I haven't seen South Pacific but I did love West Side Story. In any case, either will be MUCH, MUCH better than Guys and Dolls, which I did see (it was a 2nd rate production), so you're fortunate.

Reviews of West Side Story have been a bit mixed (the New Yorker said it was so good it made you ache, the NY Times said the leads had no chemistry) but like I say, I loved it, and the music is outstanding and I the choreography was great. I would say this, though, if you aren't familiar with the story, you may have trouble following it since a few parts are in Spanish.

South Pacific has gotten nothing but great reviews, but as far as I know, every one of those reviews was for the version with Kelly O'Hara as Nell and she's out on maternity leave. I've never heard of Laura Osness who has taken over.

In any case, you really won't go wrong with either one. Don't worry about making a "mistake", they're both great.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July 4 Musical: South Pacific or West Side Story?

South Pacific is marvelous. And not just because of the performers; there's a full, 32-piece orchestra -- which is virtually unheard of nowadays because of the expense -- and the orchestral transcriptions are wonderful!

Friends of mine have seen South Pacific with Kelli O'Hara and with Laura Osnes [played Sandy in 2007-2008 revival of Grease]. Although we were quite enamored of Ms. O'Hara's performance (more nuanced than the usual Nellie), they thought that Ms. Osnes was quite good -- and that she & Mr. Szot had more "chemistry" between then.

Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July 4 Musical: South Pacific or West Side Story?

agree with the others

i'd go and see South Pacific

you are luck that Guys and Dolls closed

really, Broadway should stop hiring these TV and movie people who aren't so great for lead roles

enjoy

Waynesville
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July 4 Musical: South Pacific or West Side Story?

Thanks for all the quick replies! Sounds like South Pacific will be perfect for us. If you've been to see it, would you recommend seats close to the front (only ones available now are on the sides) or go for the center & sit in the back?

Thanks again!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July 4 Musical: South Pacific or West Side Story?

It's a fairly shallow theatre but is relatively wide & more horseshoe-shaped than most. I vote for the center seats in the back. No one I know who opted for those cheaper seats has felt at all "cheated" by that location.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: July 4 Musical: South Pacific or West Side Story?

I saw West Side Story when it first opened, and was underwhelmed. IMHO, Karen Olivas was great, the dancing was very good, everything else mediocre. LIncoln Center may be a good change of pace. Don't know why you are hesitant to venture from the theatre district?