We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend with teens

Georgetown...
Level Contributor
117 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend with teens

Does anyone have experience as an out-of-towner with teenagers? Here's what my wife and I have planned for this weekend with our 14 yr boy, 16 yr girl and their 16 yr girl cousin -

Fri: NYU, SoHo, Brooklyn Bridge and Gremaldi's,

Sat: Top of the Rock, window shopping on 5th Avenue, Central Park, Wax Museum (their choice), Times Sq

Sun: Staten Island Ferry, WTC, Rock of Ages on Bway

Obviously, lots of walking and gawking, but they are too young for nightclubbing too old for FAO Schwartz.

P.S. We are staying at the Chelsea Comfort Inn

Thanks!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend with teens

Hello Georgetown: I am originally from your area-- welcome to New York.... Don't sell Central Park short, you should plan on some significant time there. Perhaps plan a family picnic picking up some food and drink at the local deli-- You and the kids would probably like the John Lennon Mosaic at 72nd street and Central Park West... very often on weekends there are people who gather there to just sit around and sing the "Boys" songs. Also teens seem to really like the village and especially St Marks Place for all its crazies. Make sure to get some unlimited subway passes each day and use the subways and buses to get around. For great views and a look at what passes for our Back Bay (brownstones) before going to (dare I say it) Grimaldi's . Take the subway to Borough Hall in Brooklyn, walk down Montague Street and discover the Brooklyn Promenade. If you walk the length of the promenade you will end up on Columbia Hts Blvd. Just walk down the hill and you will be across the street from Grimaldi's. Explore Dumbo and all its quirkiness and then find Washington street. At the top of that hill is the entrance to the stairs to the Brooklyn Bridge. If you don't want to wait with the crowd at Grimaldi's when you get to Washington Street you will find Front St Pizza who also has very good pizza. (Not as good as Boston Pizza but neither is Grimaldis)

Enjoy your weekend in the city and don't take any cabs.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend with teens

My 16 yo daughter likes Union Square Park, esp. on weekend nights when there's live music jams, skateboarders, local teens, etc. unitl even past midnight.Safe, and fun for parents too. Good teen shopping in area.

Chelsea Piers (right near you) is good, esp. ifthe are athletics oriented, but nice walk along Hudson River anyway.

Chelsea Marketis fun, too as is Meatpacking area also contains a fun Apple store on 9th ave/14 thSt.:

http://www.chelseapiers.com/

http://www.chelseamarket.com/

www.meatpacking-district.com/flash5.html

Lo cost tix for teens (and parents) ($5 concert, $2 museum)- you have to register in advance oline. Its easy:

http://www.highfivetix.org/splash.aspx

Georgetown...
Level Contributor
117 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend with teens

Thanks a bunch. Great suggestions. I will take a look those sites and I like the idea of walking off the meal back to NYC from Brooklyn.

southern Indiana
Level Contributor
43 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend with teens

How was your stay at the Chelsea Comfort Inn?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend with teens

Wax Museum is really expensive. Here's some discounts

broadwaybox.com/shows/madame_tussauds_nyc_ti…

Keep in mind it's open late and you can easily do this before or after your show. To that point, I don't get why you'd go to TS on Sat. when you're going on Sun. for the show.

I assume you realize your other activities for Sun. are all the way downtown and Rock of Ages is in Times Square. Given that you're going to TS on Sunday for the show, I'd organize this differently.

If they want to shop, I'd head to Union Square 14th st. and then walk uptown on Fifth ave. That stretch of Fifth ave. from 14-23 st. has a lot of teen friendly shops--many more than you'll find on Fifth ave. near Rockefeller Center.

Greenwich Village (where NYU is) is usually many visitors' favorite area so leave yourselves plenty of time to explore.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend with teens

In addition to all of the advice above, did you know that we have an entire collection of trip reports from families with teenagers on the FAQ? It's here and full of ideas and tips:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k473200-…

Georgetown...
Level Contributor
117 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend with teens

Leaving for NYC tomorrow - I'll let you know when we get back on Sunday!

Georgetown...
Level Contributor
117 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend with teens

Bev1616 - a quick note about the Chelsea Comfort Inn: Comfortable, reasonable and well-located near 23rd St subway stops. Staff was pleasant and accomodating, but breakfast only OK. I'll put in a trip report and hotel review with pictures as soon as I can. For the price, it's a good choice.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend with teens

My 16 YO daughter loves Union Square hanging out with her friends. It's a very vibrant place, with art, food and all sorts of vendors.

The after walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, the kids will probably like the edgy DUMBO. While Grimaldi's may be good pizza, is it worth waiting on line for 45 minutes for a slice of pizza? Instead, take them to Superfine, a superfunky place with a cool vivbe. Save some room for dessert. Some great dessert places in DUMBO include Almondine and Jacques Torres Chocolates on Water Street and the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory at the foot of Old Fulton Street on the water.

For dinner one night head to Chinatown. What teen doesn't love Chinese food. For a great divey experience head to the Excellent Dumpling House on Lafayette below canal. For something more high scale, but still reasonable, check out Amazing 66 at 66 Mott. There are great candy stores, the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory and the Dragonland Bakery to check out.

Some general advice is to have them help plan the trip.

10. Re: Weekend with teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2009, 05:17