We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Tours in the City? Good or Bad?

Cerritos, California
2 posts
Save Topic
Bus Tours in the City? Good or Bad?

I'll be visiting NYC for the first time and am thinking of booking one of those double decker bus tours (viator.com, to be specific). Has anyone had experience with these tours and are they worth the money?

Thanks in advance!!

A Slice of Brooklyn Bus Tours
Food Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
On Location Tours
Walking Tours, Film & TV Tours, Bus Tours
The New York Beer and Brewery Tour
Beer Tastings & Tours, Cultural Tours, Bus Tours, Private Tours
The Ride
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Virginia Beach
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Tours in the City? Good or Bad?

I'm sure some people will blast me for saying it, but I think it's the best way to see the most amount of the city quickly. I found it's nice to just sit back, relax, and let someone else worry about the particulars. I don't know about that specific company, but they're probably as good as any.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Tours in the City? Good or Bad?

I don't have a problem with bus tours but be very wary of Viator - I took a trip to Lancaster County in June and paid $149.00 for the day. The tour guide came from Croatia and her command of the English language left a lot to be desired - grammar was appalling and kept mixing up city and State names. I complained to Viator and received a condescending reply to the effect that I was expecting too much for my money!!! I'm sure that there are plenty of bus tours around - go for a different one.

Helen

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Tours in the City? Good or Bad?

Maybe do a search for 'bus tours' in this forum and see if there are any positive recommendations?

I admit to be being rather snooty about taking bus tours in the past ;o) but would have to agree that if you are in a big city, new to you, it can be a good way to 'get your bearings' before you start walking, walking, walking. Which is the best way to see NYC :o)

Oddly a bus tour can also be a way to work out that a 'drive past' is enough of one site and you don't need to make your way back.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Tours in the City? Good or Bad?

we took a grey line all loops tour which was pretty good because

1. we got to sit down for a while.

2. it was hot and the kids enjoyed it.

3. it lasted for 48 hours.

the downside was

1. Inane chatter form the guides which you could not turn off

2. Hard to get all the loops in plus the nightime loop unless that is all you do for 48 hours

i dont know how much fun it would be if you were downstairs