We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ESB lobby

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
ESB lobby

Based on multiple reviews on the forum, I've decided to 'do' the Top of The Rock observation desk, rather than the Empire State Building's (well, at least in case I don't do both).

Still, I would like to visit the ESB main lobby (I like the photo on my guidebook!); would it be possible/worth/easy to just enter the lobby for taking a peek, and then going out without buying tickets for the observation desk?

Thanks.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ESB lobby

I've actually wondered the same thing.... Thanks for asking the question DottIng! :D

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,921 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ESB lobby

The ESB is an office building so anyone can walk in. But how far in I don't know since I've not been there recently. Every office building now has a security desk in the lobby and you must show photo ID. Those who work in the building will have a building pass while visitors will be asked to say where they're going and the co. you're visiting will be alerted. In some buildings, the security desk is toward the back of the lobby so you can see a fair amount. In others, it's right at the front door.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ESB lobby

Thanks nywhiz, this is good to know, as I would also love to have a look at the Chrysler building's lobby.

I guess that as the ESB is open to visitors, then anyone should be allowed to walk in as far as the ticket desk. I was just afraid that the queues of visitors might be outside the bulding, rather than inside or that there might lengthy security chcks (airport style) before entering. Do you know if there are generally long queues outside?

Thanks again.

South Shields, Tyne...
Level Contributor
37 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ESB lobby

The Security desk is at the bottom of the lobby so you will be able to go in and admire the decor, however, we visited in January 2009 and the ESB was undergoing extensive renovations so the ceiling in the lobby was covered over.

We could imagine it was worth seeing as the parts of the building we did see were in the style of Art Decor and were beautiful.

We would recomend the ESB the views were amazing. We visited at about 11am on a Sunday and there were no queues but we could see from the roped off lanes that the queues must get really bad.

Enjoy your trip.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,921 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ESB lobby

And yes, at busy times you will see lines outside on the sidewalk, but that's for buying tickets to go up or for the elvators. If you're not doing either, just walk in one of the other doors.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ESB lobby

Thank you, that's great news about the security desk being at the bottoom of the lobby!

Not so great about the renovation works, though ...

I hope something nice will be visible when I visit in late August.

7. Re: ESB lobby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2009, 06:18