We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking the Manhattan Bridge (and weather atm)...

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Walking the Manhattan Bridge (and weather atm)...

After weeks of planning, my trip is tomorrow!!! Soo excited, although still worried about BA and strikes!

But i was thinking of walking the manhattan bridge to Brooklyn then the Brooklyn bridge back. Is the manhattan bridge nice to walk? How do you get to it? Does it have good views?

Also what is the weather like? it says scattered thunderstorms, is there any sun?! What should i pack?

Thanks and see you tomorrow!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking the Manhattan Bridge (and weather atm)...

Hi

You access the Manahattan Bridge pedestrian walkway from the south side of Canal Street.

Maybe take a look here

bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/…index.htm

Have a great trip!

ebabe

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking the Manhattan Bridge (and weather atm)...

I think that is a great idea. Because the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges are not parallel to each other (but instead form an acute angle), while they are a substantial distance apart in Manhattan, their Brooklyn ends are very close together.

The walkway entrance is at Canal Street and Bowery, with the walkway starting on the south (or right, when facing it in Manhattan) side of the Manhattan Bridge.

When you get to Brooklyn, you will be obliged to do a little zig-zagging because fences have been put up on the sidewalks at the Brooklyn end to keep people from marching straight off the Bridge and into vehicular traffic on the local streets. What you will want to do is to go find your way to the crosswalk at the corner of Jay Street and Sands Street. Cross Jay Street and walk one block west on Sands to the corner of Pearl Street. This is a vehicle entrance of the Brooklyn Bridge, but obviously it is not for you. Turn right on Pearl and walk down the hill one more block to Prospect Street. Do not cross Prospect St. Turn left on Prospect Street and walk two blocks to Washington Street/Cadman Plaza East (the same street, whose name changes at that corner; it is the street that follows Adams Street as you walk west.) Cross Washinton St/Cadman Plaza East. You will see a stone wall that forms part of the structure of the Brooklyn Bridge, and in that wall, a little to the left of the intersection, there will be a doorway and a staircase. Go up those stairs, and you will be on the walkway of the Brooklyn Bridge.

new york
Level Contributor
121 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking the Manhattan Bridge (and weather atm)...

Manhattan Bridge will also give you some great photo ops. Brooklyn Bridge does too, but obviously, you can get the Brooklyn Bridge in your pictures from the Manhattan Bridge. Brooklyn Bridge can be packed and hard to photograph. I have walked the Manhattan Bridge on a Sat and maybe had three people pass me, on bikes. Manhattan Bridge starts in a quiet area in Brooklyn, but ends up in Manhattan in the heart of the real Chinatown (not the tourist one). You can get a glimpse of life here from the bridge and the Mahayana Buddhist Temple is at the bridge's ramp in Manhattan.

4. Re: Walking the Manhattan Bridge (and weather atm)...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2009, 07:40