We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping for men's clothing

Riverview, Michigan
Level Contributor
125 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping for men's clothing

I originally posted this to the New York forum, but was advised I'd probably get better suggestions in the NYC forum.

We are going to be in NYC from 7/2 to 7/6 and my dear husband wants to have a "What Not to Wear" shopping experience, without the $5K alas! Looking for snappy business casual in smaller men's sizing (sizes we can't find here in the XL-Detroit area). We'll probably pay a visit to Lord & Taylor to hit their sale racks (and use our coupon). We usually shop at TJ Maxx, L&T, sometimes Burlington Coat Factory and DSW.

Size: 38S, 15.5 trim fit shirt, 34x29 slacks (he has a younger man's physique :oP )

Style: Snappy business casual; business

Target Items: Short sleeve biz casual shirts (linen, cotton, silk or silk blends - no polo-style) suitable to wear wtih sport coat and slacks. Trim-fit dress shirts WITH french cuffs (if possible!)

Any other shopping recommendations for a male clothes-horse? Will Century 21 be a good choice? Please point us in the direction of great summer sales and we'll be grateful!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping for men's clothing

How about Syms?

http://www.syms.com/m_designer.asp

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping for men's clothing

If I were he, I would look at Syms, especially their store on Trinity Place near Rector Street, just behind the churchyard of Trinity Church (at the head of Wall Street):

http://www.syms.com/

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping for men's clothing

Besides Syms, Finene's Basement (same building as DSW) in Union Square and Loehmann's (near Union Square) are good bets.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping for men's clothing

Meant Filene's

New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping for men's clothing

i think Syms is the best bet.....you can certainly do their downtown store, but they also have one at 54th just west of Park, in the midtown area.....not only is their selection excellent, particularly in smalls (and larges) but they do quick alterations (a few days, usually)....Century is fine for ties, shirts etc but it is usually very crowded and quite disorganized and they rarely have things in multi sizes....so it is catch as catch can.......Filenes is in the midst of going bankrupt so that they have had no new stock for over a month...and will get none until the reorganization is worked out (supposedly they are being purchased by Syms and Vornado....don't get it, but whatever) and then they will be able to buy again...the manager of the 79th Street store told me this so i guess it is true; Daffy's is another possibility for you....there are numerous stores in Manhattan including a big one at 57th and Lexington, between Syms and Bloomingdales which you can also try (they are having big sales now)

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping for men's clothing

Hey, does anyone know if Mexx is still around? I went their location on 5th and it wasn't there.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping for men's clothing

At the risk of causing a stir, I have to say wearing short sleeved shirts that are not polo style would be at the top of MY list of what not to wear for men. You will rarely if ever see a well dressed man in NYC wearing one. They always look dorky, especially under a jacket. A Hawaiian type shirt is a look but not a regular shirt that gets tucked into trousers.

I'll agree that Syms is a good place for suits and sports jackets b/c they do carry a big selection of short and tall sizes. They're not the best place (imo) for nice shirts, esp. with french cuffs that are slim fit. I think you need to go to a specialty store for that like Thomas Pink or Peter Elliot. The better dept. stores like Saks men's store will also have them.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping for men's clothing

Dare i ask if any of these stores mentioned sell Tommy Bahama please?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping for men's clothing

Just FYI, Men's Wearhouse [I'm assuming they have stores in the Detroit area] have a surprising number of French cuff, dress shirts -- by several different manufacturers; their Pronto Uomo dress shirts are usually slimmer-cut, some are specifically designated as trim-cut.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping for men's clothing

Macy's sells Tommy Bahama.