We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels Priced Out of Economic Sanity

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels Priced Out of Economic Sanity

Just checked the prices for non-holiday rates at The Surrey Hotel. $990 minimum rate. $1400 a night for a rooom I stayed in 2 years ago at $450 a night. Other Manhattan prices are close or higher. What are the hoteliers in this city thinking? Americans dealing with the recession cannot afford these prices.

However much I love New York (which I do with a passion) there's no chance I will go again in the foreseeable future.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels Priced Out of Economic Sanity

A got the Hampton Inn SoHo for $87 per night on Priceline, so I'm not complaining! Even if people don't want to go down the Priceline or Hotwire route, there are loads of deals available at the moment. Whatever the theoretical rates might be, I think people are actually paying quite a bit less than they were a couple of years ago.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels Priced Out of Economic Sanity

What dates are you looking for??

Ozark, Missouri
Level Contributor
507 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels Priced Out of Economic Sanity

Unbelievable.

Travelzoo, quikbook, Priceline--all have been returning fabulous deals.

4. Re: Hotels Priced Out of Economic Sanity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 July 2009, 00:35
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels Priced Out of Economic Sanity

I'm going to sit back and watch the fireworks:-)

6. Re: Hotels Priced Out of Economic Sanity

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 July 2009, 22:08
7. Re: Hotels Priced Out of Economic Sanity

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 July 2009, 22:10
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,717 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels Priced Out of Economic Sanity

Is there a reason why you must stay at a luxury hotel. I live in NYC ( no, not subletting my apartment -:) )

Apartments here can cost millions to purchase. I didn't say I can't afford to live here, I found a less expensive place)

and to the individual offering to rent. Do you care to comment on the legality of your renting out your unit? Is it a co-op or condo--and if so does the Board give you permission for short term rentals or is it a rent stabilized unit and that for sure you don't have permission for short term rentals.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels Priced Out of Economic Sanity

No need for luxury, just a requirement for a suite with 2 real beds for two adults who don't sleep with each other and enough closet space to stay for 2 weeks in cold weather. 1 bath is fine. Kitchen or refrigerator helps. Ideally would be clean and free of bedbugs.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels Priced Out of Economic Sanity

Have you checked the Affinia group? www.affinia.com. I just booked a King suite (kitchen and separate living area with sofa bed) for $212/night at the end of July. As another poster said, travelzoo has GREAT deals all the time. It would behoove you to check it out.