We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique ideas for 40th wedding anniv. surprise family trip

London
1 post
Save Topic
Unique ideas for 40th wedding anniv. surprise family trip

If you had a weekend to spend in New York to celebrate a 40th wedding anniversary what would you do to make it really special? This is a family trip for a party of 8 adults going over in October this year. Thanks for any help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique ideas for 40th wedding anniv. surprise family trip

I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all answer to this; so much depends on the collective budget, interests and priorities.

Just as an example: were my mother still alive, my parents would blanche/receive little pleasure at hosting (or being feted at) a 40th anniversary dinner at one of Manhattan's pricier restaurants. The idea of spending that kind of money on a meal would have run counter to their particular sensibilities. But they would have had no objection -- and thoroughly enjoyed -- an evening at the opera, concert, theatre, or in jazz clubs, costing no less or more.

When I organized a mini-family reunion here a couple of years ago, the activity that everyone is still talking about most fondly is the Naked At The Met "scavenger hunt" we did with Watson Adventures. But, I'm sure not every group would think it as much fun, find it as rewarding as we did.

So, it would be helpful to have more info from you. Have you already booked accommodations? If not, the hotel rates at that time of year may be an unpleasant surprise... and keep in mind you'll need to add on an addition 15% for government-mandated taxes & surcharges that are not typically included in room rates quoted here in the States.

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
715 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique ideas for 40th wedding anniv. surprise family trip

I would book a table at Daniel. The largest party they will seat together is a table of 8--- that is a great table to sit at in the restaurant.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique ideas for 40th wedding anniv. surprise family trip

Eight people is just the right amount for Accomplice the Village but - honestly - as said above - this kind of planning is about you and your party and not about thoughts from random strangers who know nothing about you.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique ideas for 40th wedding anniv. surprise family trip

If they have never been to NYC you might consider a nice dinner cruise. The city is quite impressive when seen at night from the rivers and a group of 8 could really have a nice time.

5. Re: Unique ideas for 40th wedding anniv. surprise family trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2010, 06:18