We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July or August? for mainly theater oriented family trip

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
July or August? for mainly theater oriented family trip

We're trying to plan a trip to NYC for two adults and a 15 year old who is very interested in theater. I'm not particularly focused on any given plays but is there a time in July or August that is better or worse for visiting? Do any shows shut down (I think not but am not sure)? Are there any other things we should know before picking WHEN we come? If possible, we'd like to see something by Shakespeare. We will also visit some of the other great sights, like the Metropolitan Museum and that type of thing. I'm also interested in getting a hotel room that is a suite, but I saw some recent posts about this, so this question is really about timing.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July or August? for mainly theater oriented family trip

July and August are traditionally slow months for the Broadway theaters and things come and go. If you go on something like www.broadwaybox.com you can see what is here now and some of them will still be here in August. September is the month that many new productions start up. You just will miss the Shakespeare in the Park presentation of Twelfth Night was was fantastic. There is always something doing in New York City. I would go ahead and make a decision on when you as a family can come and then start filling in the blanks like hotel and how you are going to get here .

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July or August? for mainly theater oriented family trip

You can see what's playing and what's coming up on these websites:

www.playbill.com

www.theatermania.com

That special "something by Shakespeare" can be seen at our Shakespeare in the Park annual show at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park. Tickets are free and are given on a first-come-first-serve basis each day.

If you join The Public Theater as a member, you can get tix in advance (somewhat.) Or, you can join the "virtual line" on the internet. Otherwise, join the rest of the masses and stand on line at 7 AM everyday to get tix to that night's performance.

http://splash.publictheater.org/

There's also an annual "Shakepeare in the Parking Lot" on the Lower East Side. Not exactly polished and comfortable, but fun for a while if you'll be in the nabe anyway at Economy Candy or the Tenement Museum.

www.drillingcompany.org/nowplaying.html

Are you talking about this July and August?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July or August? for mainly theater oriented family trip

Yes, this July and August (we're late getting organized and we are flexible). So am I too late for Shakespeare in the park? Does anyone have a website to that? Other classic plays would also be great - we don't want to do only musicals.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July or August? for mainly theater oriented family trip

Shakespeare in the Park is a production of the Public Theater. I provided a link to that above.

Also in the other links I posted are schedules for what's playing now.

For discounts, you can try www.broadwaybox.com.

In our FAQ "sticky" at the top of this forum is this page describing how to buy discounted tickets.

BROADWAY! Discount tickets and theatre etiquette: Never pay full price and turn off that cell phone!

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c1146/New-York…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July or August? for mainly theater oriented family trip

There is always a lot to see aside from musicals. The 2nd offering in the Park this summer will be The Bacchae, a Greek play, and will probably have less in the way of long lines because it lacks a major star. There are lots of smaller Shakespeare productions throughout the summer, indoors and out, and in August there is the Fringe Festival which your 15yo might especially enjoy--over 200 shows all over downtown for 2 weeks, and there are several Shakespeares in that too. Shows don't "shut down" for the summer, but a lot of shows close in summer, and so Broadway is usually less overflowing with choices. As above, I think you just decide when the best time is, and make a trip out of that. August is generally hotter, but with this year's weird weather who knows? It might be winter by then.

Level Contributor
182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July or August? for mainly theater oriented family trip

I am going in Aug. Check out the Palace hotel for specials. We got Jr. Suites for less than regular rooms. They also had a special on one bedroom corner suites for about 1/3 of the price.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July or August? for mainly theater oriented family trip

Where is the palace hotel?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July or August? for mainly theater oriented family trip

www.newyorkpalace.com

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July or August? for mainly theater oriented family trip

Where is the palace hotel?

10. Re: July or August? for mainly theater oriented family trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 06:19