We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another solo traveler in two weeks!

Utah
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Another solo traveler in two weeks!

This is my first forum entry, but I've enjoyed reading everyone's contributions about NYC. Thanks so much for sharing your adventures (and misadventures!!)

I've been to New York several times, but this will be my first solo trip arriving at 0630 on July 22 and leaving late afternoon July 24th. I want to fit in as much as possible without feeling rushed...(was that a contradiction???) !-)

I love Broadway musicals and already have tickets for Shrek, Next to Normal and 9 to 5. I have also booked Scott's Pizza Tour and would like to bicycle through Central Park. Otherwise, my itinerary is rather loose.

Need advice on some of my choices:

Cloisters?

HighLine Walk?

Wander through Greenwich Village/Soho?

Walk through Brooklyn or Upper West Side? (I'm staying at 72nd & Broadway..)

Any advice on casual solo dining? I'm a non-drinker..

Thanks for any help! I'll be sure to post my trip when I return!!!

southern california
Level Contributor
154 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another solo traveler in two weeks!

Go to Zabars, just up the street from you.

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

The Noguchi Museum in Long Island City often gets overlooked but is a knockout, followed by lunch at the Bel Air Dinner.

5th and 7th in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another solo traveler in two weeks!

All of your choices are great. If you've been here before, you've likely seen all the major sites, and now it is time to see the good stuff. As for walking from Brooklyn, here is a recent post of mine that has some suggestions for you.

There is no such thing geographically as "Brooklyn" - no matter what the maps all say. Brooklyn is an attitude and a spirit. But is it also a collection of neighborhoods, each quite distinct. Here are some great places to visit.

The easiest neighborhoods to visit are DUMBO and Brooklyn Heights. Just walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. If you take the steps on the Brooklyn side you are in DUMBO, a community of cool repurposed industrial buildings, notable food, and a great arts scene. If you go down the ramp, you hit elegant, quaint and quiet Brooklyn Heights. From both areas, you get amazing views of the Brooklyn Bridge and Lower Manhattan. [Subways include 2/3/A - closer to DUMBO] and the 2/3/4/5/R - closer to Brooklyn Heights.

A little further along you come to Cobble Hill and Boerum Hill. This area is defined by the restaurant row on Smith Street. Block after block of great places to eat, interspersed with little boutiques. [Take the F train to Bergen or Carroll or anything that goes to Boro Hall and walk a few blocks.

Brooklyn Cultural Center should be a must visit on every tour. This area is centered around majestic Grand Army Plaza with its great arch and statue of Neptune. Here you will find the Brooklyn Public Library, the Botanic Gardens, the Brooklyn Museum and Prospect Park. The Park was designed by Olmstead/Vaux, who also designed Central Park - but they liked this one better. [Take the 2,3 to Grand Army Plaza or the Q/B to 7th Avenue]

Contiguous to the Cultural Center and down the slope from Prospect Park is Park Slope - duh. This is one of the largest brownstone areas in the country. Great architecture on tree lined streets. 7th Avenue is more established and 5th Avenue has the funkier boutiques, pubs and restaurants. This is a great neighborhood which you will recognize from the many movies that have filmed here. I've lived here for 30 years and love it.

Williamsburg. Known for its three H's. Hipsters, Hispanics and Hasids. Could be one of the more varied neighborhoods in the City. Hasidic Williamsburg takes you back in time. Visit on Friday before sundown and see everyone scurrying about to get ready for Shabbos. Please dress and act respectfully. Cross Division Street and head to the hipster preserve of the North Side. Bars, restaurants and cool shops are the norm here. A great place to visit after dark. The Brooklyn Brewery opens to the public Friday night and Sat/Sun [Hasidic J/M/Z to Marcy Avenue, Hipster L to Bedford Avenue]

Brighton Beach/Coney Island. These two seaside areas share the same beach and boardwalk but are quite different in character. Brighton Beach is essentially a trip to Russia. Cyrillic signs, gut busting Russian food, and great people watching. Further down the boardwalk Coney Island is undergoing a facelift, but still there are the Brooklyn Cyclones baseball team, the Cyclone roller-coaster, Deno's Wonder Wheel and Nathans famous. [Brighton - B/Q to Brighton Beach Ave. Coney - D/F/N/Q to Stillwell Avenue.

I hope that this mini-guide helped. There are still many areas that I didn't mention that are worth exploring as well. Some of these other neighborhoods are Red Hook, Fort Greene, Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, and Bay Ridge. Brooklyn is huge.

See you in BK

MEL

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
198 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another solo traveler in two weeks!

Thanks Mel for those ideas. Our family is making our second trip to NYC here in a couple of weeks now and we've seen all the typical tourist sites and are really wanting to enjoy the "real" NY now for our seven night stay.

Thanks for the post lilybutt52 and hope you have a great trip!!

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another solo traveler in two weeks!

Oh God Lilybutt, I am exhausted just reading your itinerary!! You will need another vacation when you go back home...haha...I think you should check out a pedicab tour, if your budget is able to, instead of a bicycle tour because you will be probably be tired. I want to check out Tour guide Stan that is a poster here because everyone recommends him highly.

oconnorgreentoursnyc.com/tours/centralpark.h…

You did not specify where you were staying. It could help us to recommend you restaurants where you would not feel out of place, but I want to say that I never feel out of place in restaurants. NY is used to solo diners and dining at the bar is the best solution for me. Sometimes when I prefer to read and not talk to anyone, I sit at a table but otherwise I love eating at the bar.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another solo traveler in two weeks!

would definitely recommend stan for greenwich village and centrral park tours!

Utah
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another solo traveler in two weeks!

Thanks for your responses! I will definitely spend my Friday morning walking over the Bridge and through Brooklyn Heights!

I checked Stan O'Connor's website and that looks like fun...however, I think it would be more fun with a friend to split the cost!!

I am staying at the Comfort Inn Central Park West. I won't be spending much time in the room and didn't need anything too fancy or extravagant. Like other travelers, I'd rather spend my money on good food and shopping!!

I'm still curious about the HighLine Walk... Is it worth the time on a short itinerary??

Thanks again...two weeks from today!!!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another solo traveler in two weeks!

Don't get me wrong, because I really enjoyed the High Line, but if you are on a tight schedule, I think you could save it for another time.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another solo traveler in two weeks!

also agree with brooklyn heights its a really good place - make sure also that you go to the promenade great views

9. Re: Another solo traveler in two weeks!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 07:23