We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broadwaybox vs TKTS

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Broadwaybox vs TKTS

Based on any of your past experiences, where do you think I will get the better deal for Broadway tickets in September?

My mum really wants to see Mama Mia!, and on broadwaybox.com no deals have come up yet for our trip (Sept 17 for 4 nights) but there is one now valid till Sept 7 which I am assuming is a decent indicator to what the deal will be like 2 weeks later. But I have heard that you can get even lower prices from the TKTS booths... so I know I kind of rambled there.. but what do you think?

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broadwaybox vs TKTS

It will probably be cheaper for you to buy tickets at TKTS, but there's no guarantee that Mamma Mia will be available when you're here, or what kinds of sets will be available that day. If your heart is set on seeing a particular show, buy the tickets in advance. It's close to a sure thing that the broadwaybox.com discount will be extended.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broadwaybox vs TKTS

Inkwell is right but the difference in price between TKTS and Broadwaybox is not big enough to pass on if you get the chance to secure tickets ahead of time. If you really want to see that show (and I think it is great) I would pull the lever as soon as they become available.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,717 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Broadwaybox vs TKTS

another vote for buying in advance. You also get to avoid standing in line at tkts

SoCal
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broadwaybox vs TKTS

Try the free website theatermania.com. I was in Nyc for 10 days in early June and saw 13 plays - all at discount. You can get yout tickets before you go and print them on your computer - or with some theaters they mail you the tickets - or you can print out the theatre code for the discount and then just go to the theater box office and get the discount. I did that for Exit the King. The problem with TKTS is you can stand in line for several hours and waste valuable time waiting and still not get your seats - it changes from day to day and often they run out of tickets for the popular shows before you get to the window. It was pretty easy for me because I only needed one ticket.

Hope this helps-

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broadwaybox vs TKTS

I agree that if you have your heart set on a show, get the tickets in advance. If you ever do go the TKTS route, however, go to the one at South Street Seaport, much shorter lines.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Broadwaybox vs TKTS

Another question about booking tickets in advance: I started to look at websites like broadway.com (I believe). It appeared that they have tickets for some of the plays I'm interested in but only for the next two weeks, and then the calendar they provide is blank after that. Is this in fact how it's done-- I can't get tickets 3 weeks in advance? What ticket websites do you NYC experts recommend (I will look up theatermania, thanks)?

SoCal
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Broadwaybox vs TKTS

My experience is that it depends on the show - and how many tickets are available. Sometimes the brokers will extend the "special" or discounted price - soemtimes they don't. I agree that Seaport location for TKYS is better - Times Square had long lines. Bottom line - if your heart is set on a show - and you don't want to be disappointed - book ahead. If you are flexible and have many shows you would like to see- then theatermania is a good bet.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,506 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Broadwaybox vs TKTS

Discounted tickets sold through links on Theatermania, Playbill and BroadwayBox [with promo codes] are being made available to you directly from Telecharge and Ticketmaster, the direct sellers authorized by the various shows.

Broadway.com is not a discount ticket seller. Nor are the sellers of non-discounted tix available for hit shows on, e.g., BroadwayBox, which is now also operating like StubHub. Broadway.com usually doesn't inflate the ticket price much above face value, but may not have availability for hit shows for the dates you need.

Here's the order in which you should look for tickets:

** Travelzoo's NYC Entertainment page; BroadwayBox, Theatermania and/or Playbill. Travelzoo & BroadwayBox are the easiest because you don't have to go through the interim step of "joining". But becoming a "member" of Theatermania & Playbill simply requires submitting your e-mail address; there's no charge and they don't sell your e-mail address to anyone else. And dates & discount can vary amongst these 4, so those of us who are hell-bent on getting the best deal check all of them.

** the official, direct ticket seller for the show(s) of your choosing -- usually Telecharge, but may be Ticketmaster [all Disney musicals, Jersey Boys, Wicked]

** Broadway.com & BroadwayBox's Sold Out sections; specify on BroadwayBox that you want to see precise seat locations.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Broadwaybox vs TKTS

Just a point of information - www.brodway.com is not a discount site! Also they charge a hefty service fee.

The reason I know this is I received a gift certificate from my daughter at broadway.com. Apparently what they do is get issue the certificate and when the recipient chooses their show they charge toe 'gifter's' credit card. We just saw God of Carnage tickets were full price and the service charge was around $40.00 (ouch).

So stick with broadwaybox.com or theatermania.com or playbill.com.

And as mentioned the service charges between advance booking and TKTS are really minuscule with the convenience of advanced purchase tickets being a real plus.

Poppa

New York
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Broadwaybox vs TKTS

I agree with all the pros here...

Standing in line is not that much cheaper and IS much more exhausting, especially knowing that you canm't be certain you'll get your ticket.

BraodwayBox.com, playbill and theatermania are what I would do.

I personally always use BroadwayBox.com because no registration is needed, and they are always up-to-date with the best deals and discounts (they also have interactive seasting charts!).

If a discount is not there, it usually means that the brokers or productions haven't released it yet...