We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can finding a place to stay be this difficult?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How can finding a place to stay be this difficult?

After posting several times and reading pages and pages of posts on this topic, I cannot believe we still cannot decide. Last time we were planning to come to NYC I found it so overwhelming, we went to Vegas. Now, we are really wanting to come, but faced with the same challenge. The economy must not be that bad because hotel prices are high (in line with what you would pay in another big city with less to offer). So many districts, it is difficult to choose, but more neighbouthoody seems to be more popular. We even toyed with staying in Brooklyn (isn't it the new place to be that used to be the old place to be?).

Is it just me, or do others find it this challenging? Maybe it's because we don't get to vacation to often and when we do, we want to make the most out of every minute. (Not to mention, I am a type "A" personality!)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
351 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How can finding a place to stay be this difficult?

One thing to keep in mind is that you will not be in room much besides sleeping and showering. Everything you will want to see is a easy subway ride away.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How can finding a place to stay be this difficult?

It's not challenging if you accept our help!

Tell us:

1. your dates

2. your nightly budget

3. how many are traveling and if everyone needs separate beds

4. any other needs

and we can give you some suggestions.

New York's hotel rates have dropped significantly over the past 6 months - they are not expensive for New York City. :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How can finding a place to stay be this difficult?

I think it is a challenge to find a place to stay, so many options.

The only way I figured it out in the end was to look at the attractions that we wanted to see then pick a place to stay that was close to transport, yet was close enough to walk to some of the places on my "must see' list.

Re the hotel prices - if you read the forums, there are some good prices for hotels - just depends on when you're going to NYC and what you want. I think you just have to grin and bear it re the price otherwise you'll never get to NYC.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How can finding a place to stay be this difficult?

You are making it harder than it has to be. Kateoz is right........hotels are much cheaper than they were just a few yrs ago, at least that is what I have found.

Who is coming, what sort of amenities in a hotel are important to you (kitchen?), what is your budget? Have you looked at quikbook. Great site and I use it every time I come to NYC.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How can finding a place to stay be this difficult?

I should clarify ...

"I think it is a challenge to find a place to stay, so many options" - IF you try to do it by yourself.

I do agree with Kate, TA NYC forum is an enormous help.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How can finding a place to stay be this difficult?

I think we are too open ended.

When are we coming? - As soon as I book a flight and others in the group can get time off work.

Ammenities - Not much: clean, fairly spacious, safe area, kitchentte would be a bonus, private bath is a must.

What to do - theatre, sightseeing, central park, shopping, neighbourhood exploring, visit some outdoor food markets, etc

As soon as I book a flight, I will be back on this thread. And, for the record, for what NYC has to offer, prices are not that crazy.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,499 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How can finding a place to stay be this difficult?

I was where you are right now last February. We were planning a trip for April w/ kids. I was hitting road blocks cuz many places are for TWO people only and I didn't want to get two separate rooms and split up w/ one adult and one kid in each room. I posted here and the lovely regulars came back w/ several suggestions.

I read the reviews and looked at the pictures here on TA and made my decision. I was happy with my decision and even MORE happy after actually staying in the hotel.

It's the old glass half full routine. Sure I could have fretted over all the great places I didn't CHOOSE, but the one I chose was great, so why bother?

I'm sure there were other places equally nice or better ... but we were happy, so what difference did it make? Maybe next time I'll go back to the same hotel or maybe I'll take a new suggestion ....

Unless you plan to do the same thing EVERY DAY you are in NY, no hotel is going to be "close" to all you want to see ... so as the old Nike ad said, when it comes to booking a hotel, JUST DO IT. :)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How can finding a place to stay be this difficult?

Forgot to add - might need parking, if we decide to drive. Does that make it a lot worse?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How can finding a place to stay be this difficult?

Oh my dog! Travelzoo is amazing and cheap!!!!!

Now, fly or drive....it's looking like a possibility...

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How can finding a place to stay be this difficult?

If you were shocked by the hotel prices wait till you see the parking rates... that's another old story. ABC news just had a story on tonight about how airlines are cutting their fares again.... look into flying you will be much happier than driving but if you do, we can help you with that but given your penchant for delay it may be a while for you to work out the parking issues.