We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macy Days parade visit

everett,wa
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Macy Days parade visit

We are coming from Everett, WA. and have never been to New York. I understand the route has changed this year. Can anyone give me info. on what time to arrive that morning? Best viewing places? How long does the parade take to watch and will we be able to do tourist activites afterwards? Thank you. Marilyn

New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macy Days parade visit

I assume you are talking about Thanksgiving Day.....the route is only slightly changed...it will proceed down 7th Avenue rather than Bway from Columbus Circle...this is only one street to the East so not consequential except for the hotels and restaurants on Bway.....people start lining up very, very early in the am from the northern part of the route (77th and CPW) and even more so from columbus circle all the down to Macy's itself.....you need to be prepared to stand for at least a couple of hours before the parade begins so as to get a good view unless you book a hotel with a view of the parade (very pricey)

Stores are pretty much closed that day as are museums etc.....since, as you know, it is a major holiday....there are things you will be able to do in the afternoon (Central Park, Statue of Liberty, etc ) but a lot will depend on the weather

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Macy Days parade visit

Actually, Carole, the route has substantially changed, and it is not quite what you described. The Parade used to run straight down Broadway from Columbus Circle. This year, though, after leaving Columbus Circle, it will zig zag:

East on Central Park South to Seventh Avenue

South on Seventh Avenue to 42nd Street

East on 42nd Street to Sixth Avenue

South on Sixth to 34th Street.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Macy Days parade visit

Marilyn-

You and your family should also plan on going to Central Park area the night before to watch the inflating of the parade balloons. It is also a well attended event--- unless they have changed that location too- perhaps GWB can comment on that and give more specifics.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Macy Days parade visit

yeah, GWB, i guess i forgot that below 42nd, it changes again over to 6th to be near Macy's when it gets down into the thirties....frankly, i would never go out and watch it anyway so i guess i forgot the details of what i read........last time i saw it live i think i was 8; we did the blowup with some friends from LA about ten years ago and it was a nightmare....so crowded and noisy i would never do that again either...and i can walk to the blow up from my house...oh well...but understand that tourists want to experience it once

But re best viewing places, i think that the uptown area is probably less crazy to watch...GWB, would you agree?

NYC
Level Contributor
901 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Macy Days parade visit

I had pretty good luck getting a decent viewing spot in the 50s - of course, this was a few years ago and it was FREEZING but it seemed to be a good in the middle spot (not too many at the beginning, not too many at the end)... Move this over to 7th of course now.

And, please, for heaven's sake, Macy's hasn't co-opted the holiday: IT'S the THANKSGIVING DAY parade.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Macy Days parade visit

I think if it weren't for Macy's there would be no parade so I have no problem with it being called as it is around the world "The Macy's Parade".

7. Re: Macy Days parade visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2010, 07:17