We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lining up for Shakespeare In The Park

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lining up for Shakespeare In The Park

If you wish to take in Shakespeare In The Park at Central Park's Delacorte Theater, get into the park as early in the day as possible.

My wife and I, on our daily drive through the park, have been growing concerned at the extremely long lines for free tickets. Central Park opens at 6:00 AM. The box office opens at 10:00 AM. This video was made at 8:00 AM. The line in this video (she shot, I drove) is roughly half a mile long!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHBGlRFV3RE

So get there early. Pee first. Bring something to do, something to sit on, and perhaps an umbrella, which is good both for rain and for chilling AM breezes.

And breakfast.

TourguideStan

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lining up for Shakespeare In The Park

Actually Stan they don't give tickets out until 1pm not 10am and 8am with this perfromance has been reported as the cut off time for expected seats which means a 5 hour wait-- only the hearty need apply. We saw it early in the run but I usually get there about 7:30 and have never been shut out in 10 years.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,453 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lining up for Shakespeare In The Park

Just as an FYI, yesterday, the cut off time for people lining up for tickets (outside the park until it opened) was between 4:30 and 5 a.m. This is likely to continue until the current produciton ends next week.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
728 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lining up for Shakespeare In The Park

We just came back from NYC and got to see The Twelfth Night. We saw it on a weekday and were in line at 6:30. The cutoff that day was 8:00.... there were many hundreds of people who got in line that day after 8 and waited a full five hours (they don't give out tickets until 1:00, not 10:00, unless they have changed the time in the last few days). I happened to walk past the line a few days later on a weekend morning at 7:00am and there were already many hundreds - if not a thousand or more - lined up, waiting. The play is incredible - we had so much fun...many veteran Broadway actors in the cast and of course, Anne Hathaway is a huge draw.

This play is getting great buzz and tickets are REALLY in demand. I wouldn't waste your time sitting in line unless you get there by 7:00 on a weekday or 6:30 - or earlier - on a weekend day.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lining up for Shakespeare In The Park

Sorry about the time mixup.

Here is something on how to wait, from the NYC Convention & Visitors Bureau.

…about.com/od/summer/tp/shakepeare_tips.htm

Thanks for looking at the Youtube video. I have over 50 2-minute videos about various things in NYC. They're under the name TourguideStan, on Youtube. The most popular one is about a person or persons who spraypaint dog poop. Why everyone wants to see this is beyond me.

Stan

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lining up for Shakespeare In The Park

WOW! I was considering this, but it seems like you would be using up more than half a day just waiting to get tickets at 1pm. If the box office opens at 10am, can you get the tickets (reserve or whatever) and then just pick them up at the window when you come back to see the play or must you wait until 1pm?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,453 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lining up for Shakespeare In The Park

as noted above, the ox office opens at 1, not at 10. tickets are distributed at 1. fyi there is also a standby line in the afternoon. i suspect people are starting to line up for that by 2-3pm, and they prospects are not especially good unless you are at the front of that line.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lining up for Shakespeare In The Park

Itryalot--

Forget the box office- the majority of tickets never make it there. There are corporate tickets which are not for you.

There are 3 ways to get tickets--- they have a virtual line that you can go on starting at midnight and then check back at 1pm to see if you got tickets or you can wait in line as described standing in line for the whole time. If you leave the line you lose your place. The last 50 people or so in that line get standby vouchers to come back later and sometimes people will also get into that line without vouchers.

Short of that there was no way for this play but it ends next week anyway and then after a short break there is another play coming (not Shakespeare) that will still have lines but in the absence of a name cast like this one will not have any of the drama and you will probably be able to get in line around 8-9am and wait for tickets... either way you are right it does take up 1/2 a day and that's a lot when you are only here for a short time but I did see this production and if you like Shakespeare it is one of the best I have seen in 10 years.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lining up for Shakespeare In The Park

I think if we are there when the new one is going on and if it appeals to us, we'll try virtual.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,386 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lining up for Shakespeare In The Park

I believe that for really popular shows like this some people actually start lining up the night before, move outside to CPW when the park closes, then move back inside when it reopens in the early a.m.

Also, there is a coffee shop in the neighborhood that delivers to the line -- there is usually someone with the number -- so you can call from your mobile.

I also recommend you pee first, but there is also a restroom up near the box office, so once you are settled in line with your chair, blanket, whatever, you can leave to go to the restroom, then return to your spot.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lining up for Shakespeare In The Park

Actually the only time I ever heard of people lining up the night before was for the Seagull a few years ago and the cast for that was amazing.. This one comes a close second but I have not heard of any overnight camping on this one and as stated before it is closing next week.

The new production coming in is Bacchae-- there should not be the rush for that one that there was for the 12th Night performances.

The deli that delivers is Andy's Deli and the people running the line have his number. You tell them via cell phone where you are approximately in line by landmarks and they find you--- I always have my breakfast delivered via bike and eat in line.