We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for night time

scunny
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ideas for night time

Anyone recomend anything worth seeing at night for 2nervous travellers.

We already considering a show and cinema but wondering if anyone recomend any sights or places to go at night.

cheers

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,743 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for night time

no offense, but this is a ridiculously broad question. you are coming to a city that has 1000s of things to do every night,and we know nothing about you except that you are, for some reason, "nervous."

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for night time

If you are nervous because it's night don't be. Everywhere you will be going you will have lots of company unless to you nighttime means 3am..

You can go to the cinema at home so I would not recommend doing that since once the lights go out you could be anywhere... do things that are unique to New York...

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for night time

Besides a Broadway show check out Top of the Rock for amazing views of the city lights.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for night time

FAtboyandy - I was just pondering the same question. If we see theatre one or two nights, do late night meals another two nights, and do not really want to go to a bar, what else could we do?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for night time

What are you nervous about?

Go to a concert, go to a comedy club, go to an art show, go to a movie, go to a book store. You can do whatever you want.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for night time

I'm not sure what you consider 'night'... do you simply mean 'after dark', or after a certain hour? I like to hang out and people watch at night (I would define night as after most stores close). We (bf and I) like to sit in many of the little parks around the city, as there are usually people hanging out and playing guitar or cards and just having a good time. We hung out in Union Square a few times and it was very busy - the stores in that area seemed to close around 10pm, so it was lively for a few hours after that.

Also consider going to the top of the ESB or TOTR at night - as well as spending time along the waterfront around the Brooklyn Promenade, walking the Promenade itself, and then walking the bridge... you will end up near city hall and the fountains are lit at night - it's quite pretty. And of course, if it's your first time, you should check out Times Square at night. I personally wouldn't consider going to the movies while in NYC, as I can do that at home and there is so much more to see and do while you're there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for night time

Perhaps things are different in your home town, but here in the States, there are very few "movie palaces" left; we're basically left with shoebox multi-plex theatres. So I actually think taking in a movie at the Ziegfeld could be worthwhile -- although I wouldn't do that instead of a live theatre production.

clearviewcinemas.com/ziegfeld/ziegfeld-photo…

In addition to the suggestions already made, you might consider one of the evening harbor cruises. E.g.,

nywaterway.com/Home/…Default.aspx

http://www.nywatertaxi.com/tours/happyhour/

Discount coupons here:

destinationcoupons.com/new_york/…cruises.asp

destinationcoupons.com/new_york/nyc/new-york…

Not sure of the length of your visit or at what time of year, but if, for example, you've been out sightseeing in the heat of an August day, you may not want to pack in more activity on all your evenings. It's more than OK to vege out while on a vacation :-)

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for night time

andy have you done ANY research on NYC. It is the city that never sleeps - something going on 24/7.

If you had some background like reading a guidebook or other information readily available about NYC maybe it would quell your nervousness.

Jazz clubs, comedy clubs, lectures, museum programs, pubs, restaurants are some night time activities.

Take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry - it's free.

Get a guidebook, read the FAQ's on this Forum - learn about the city.

An axiom I use is 'the best help available is helping yourself'

Poppa

UK
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for night time

Hi Andy.

Other than the usual: keep your hand on your wallet, dont be flash with your expensive cameras & phones, dont wander dark empty streets on your own etc that you would adhere to anywhere in the world as it is just basic common sense - I have found NYC to be so much safer than the streets of England. I have noticed a huge police presence in the popular areas of NYC - they are just hanging around being friendly to all which is something we dont get here in the UK - best of all - the areas that you would want to go to as a visitor to the city - there arent drunken yobs hanging around street corners up to no good. If you look at the map you will see the City's grid system - its v hard to get lost. The subway always has police or staff around the station and on the train. Everyone is so helpful and willing to help you if you ask - having been a few times myself I cant see what there is to be nervous about. The shops in Times Square are open til midnight - we have unintentionally spent hours wandering in and out of them on the way back to our hotel, bars and restuarants are open til the early hours of the morning so there are always lots of people around. It is a great city. Take the other's advice and get a book, search on here for ideas - the more preperation you do the more confident about having a great time you will be.

Top of the Rock or the ESB would be great at Night. I think one of the operators does a boat cruise around the island. Greenwich Village is full of bars, some with live music. Late meals are good too - we had a 1030pm booking at Tao and then called into a diner at 1am for pudding. Have a great trip.

scunny
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for night time

Wow thanks for all your help and suggestions. We only mean nervous as its a new city to us and some places are very intimidating to the first time tourist (I've been to the other parts of the US)

We are from the UK where you dont generally wander round towns at night, its too dangerous (sure a few cities are the exception) but most of us live in towns where there aint a lot to do compared.

I have been to san francisco twice and love it, so if its anything similar we will love it (the people and everyone get on the, the variety was brialliant).

I fancy a night cruise, a show, the rock at night sounds good too.

I much prefer people giving real life ideas, recomendations and opinions than reading "guides", but thats just me, you can never be sure if they are peddled out by moneygrabbers and advertisers.

Thanks a lot everyone i will pass this onto my wife.

ps we are over in beginging of september, from reading up its still fairly warm? (not like here, its july and still raining!!!)