We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Eats around Union Square

Florida
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Good Eats around Union Square

We will be staying at The Seafarers International House for 5 days this Dec. That's very close to Union Sq. I Need a locals input as to best place to grab a good and reasonable breakfast before we get out and see what your city has to offer. Any comments?

Thanks Much

RT

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Eats around Union Square

If you just want coffee and a pastry, 71 Irving is a good choice:

nymag.com/listings/…

For a regular sit-down meal, Galaxy is the closest:

http://www.galaxyglobaleatery.com/

Friend of a Farmer is better but more expensive:

http://www.friendofafarmernyc.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Eats around Union Square

I should add that on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, Union Square is home to the city's largest farmers' market, and there are always good things to be picked up there. Pickings are slimmer in December than they are, say, now, but it's still worth a visit. It's at its largest on Saturdays.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Eats around Union Square

For breakfast I still like the old reliable 'Coffee Shop' right on the corner of W. 16th and Union Square West (the park). You can sit outside ..... watch the farmer's market ..... and relax.

nymag.com/listings/restaurant/coffee-shop/

nymag.com/listings/…main.html

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Eats around Union Square

There's a branch of the Belgian chain, Le Pain Quotidien, inside the ABC Home Store on Broadway and 19th Street. The store is absolutely a must-see, and the restaurant is wonderful for breakfast and lunch.

The farmers market is all local produce, so the winter isn't lush. There's a nice holiday bazaar around Union Square Park that's nice. It gets very crowded though, so go early.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Eats around Union Square

I've had some great meals at the Blue Water Grill. It has a great and varied menu, and is not outrageously priced. It is also in a fantastic space:

www.brguestrestaurants.com

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Eats around Union Square

You may want to try Chat and Chew.... it is a favorite of the students in the area.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Eats around Union Square

I love l'Express at 20th St.

www.lexpressnyc.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Eats around Union Square

What about City Bakery

http://www.thecitybakery.com/

NYC baby!
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Eats around Union Square

Unfortunately, Chat n Chew closed a few years ago....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,274 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Eats around Union Square

City Bakery is great (but people from out of state are shocked at the prices!). If you go the things to get are the baked goods with signs translated into Japanese - the pretzel croissant and the bakers muffin.

I also love Republic - especially the new banh mi counter. And, Maoz for falafel.

Its a shame Tisserie is gone and replaced with yet another Pret. The service was bad, but the food was great!