We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your packing advice

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Your packing advice

We...OK I, tend to overpack. For four days what advice do you have? We will be seeing a ball game, doing theatre and museums, sightseeing and a lot of walking. I am thinking two pairs of shoes MIN.

Anything you wish you had packed and you didn't and what you packed and never used?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your packing advice

Sneakers help a lot--- small umbrella that you carry around even if rain is not forecasted, anything you have that is black.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your packing advice

Don't forget your umbrella. I will have no problem at all with throwing a small, folded, plastic poncho into my bag before I go into the City again.

Ballgame: Jeans or whatever is comfortable. I don't think jeans are very comfortable when the temperature rises.

Theatre: Almost anything, but don't wear shorts. The thought of brushing up against someone's hairy leg in a crowded theatre makes me skieve. ditto for restaurants.

Comfortable shoes are def. the way to go here.

Have a Great time!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your packing advice

(oh, and bringing a small pocket compass has been suggested on the forum recently)

NJ
Level Contributor
767 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your packing advice

NYers wear a lot of black -- head to toe in all seasons. Khaki / beige & navy blue may also be OK. Accent colors . . . maybe but not too much.

Wear shoes you can walk in; there's a lot of walking.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,258 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your packing advice

For four days, you should be able to go in a bag the size of a carryon (even if you check the bag). If you're not you're overpacking....

Basically, you bring the same stuff for 4 days that you would bring for 3 wks - just without the Woolite!

3 bottoms, 5 tops - 3 pair of shoes MAX! I am more likely to do 2 but it depends on the destination; if hiking boots, reef shoes or sandals are necessary, etc. I will be going to Ireland for 10 nights with little variation from the above - and only 2 pairs of shoes (Merrell day hikers and nice black Geox shoes that can go day to night and are so comfortable I wore them every day/night for 10 days in Paris)

you'll also need some sort of shawl or light jacket for cold plane/restaurants/theater. And, underwear and cosmetics of course.

the 5 tops are 3 nice daytime t-shirts and 2 nicer shirts for dinner/theater, etc. Since its summer and you dont need all the outer gear - you can add a 6th top.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your packing advice

These are the things I wished I had brought to NYC during out recent trip:

*one pair jeans (I meant to, but forgot!)

*an umbrella

*a spare set of batteries for the camera

What we brought and didn't need:

*I brought 3 summer dresses. I could have just worn the same one for the four occasions I needed one.

*The Mr brought 3 pairs of jeans and 4 pairs of shorts. (His idea not mine!)

California
Level Contributor
194 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your packing advice

evening has great advice. Having just returned from there, I have to say that even though black is "safe" it is not all I saw there. I love color and refrained from packing my summer stuff and stuck to black. I was often one of the few who was in that color! I can see how a tourist would stick out in bright bold prints (like those that scream Hawaii, etc.) and I didn't see short shorts, either. Lots of flip flops, though.

Indiana
Level Contributor
390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your packing advice

I made it a point to pack only what I could get into a single carry on rolling bag. I wish I could convince A to do the same. We were in NYC from 7/18-7/23. This is what I packed. (I'm a guy, so YMMV).

6 pr briefs (a new package, so they were already as compact as they were ever goingn to get, some brands come with a bit of tape to hold them rolled together :)

1 pair of Twill Khaki Pants

1 pr of Tan Jeans

2 pair of "walking shorts"

1 pair of sandals

3 pair of white tube socks

3 pair of colored socks (coordinated w/pants)

1 short sleeve button down shirt

2 Polo Style Shirts

2 Short Sleeve Colored T-Style Shirts (one was v neck, but that doesn't matter)

1 Breatheable/Moisture Wicking Atheletic Short Sleeve Shirt (in case we had some miserably hot weather)

All of this fit into my Carry On Bag and left room for the following:

1 Quart Bag w/Shampoo, BodyWash, T-Brush, T Paste, Deoderant, etc.

1 Elec Razor w/Charging Cord

Charging Cord for my Crackberry (which stayed w/me enroute)

1 Nikon D-80 Camera w/18-200MM Lens attached + My Sigma 10-20 MM Wide Angle Lens and my Nikor 55MM Prime Lens

1 Nikon SB-600 Flash attachment

Spare Batteries and Charger for flash

Yes, I did have to wear a couple of things more than once, but if worse comes to worse, you can have them sent out (probably for what it would cost to check a bag coming and going). Or, just hang it up in the bathroom while you shower. A little steam does wonders to refresh you and your clothes. ;)

The ONLY thing I had to breakddown and ask A to check in his checked luggage bag was a 14 OZ bottle of lotion that I could probably have skipped...as there was a Walgreens (that I know carries my lotion).

Repeat after me: I do not need two pairs of shoes. I do not need two pairs of shoes. I do not need two pairs of shoes. (I would have skipped the sandals except even I think shorts w/black shoes and socks just looks silly).

On the plane I wore one pair of leightweight cargo pants, my walking shoes (slip/on), another button down shirt and one belt.

Now, it isn't the $15.00 checked luggage fee that bothers me. It's because if you do not check your bag you can be much more flexible and sudden changes (ie. flight cancellations and re-bookings) are easier if you have your bag, and not the airline.

Coming home we checked A's bag. We were on a 3:45pm flight w/NW. At 3:15, that flight was canceled. We were rebooked on a 4:35pm US Airways flight and told we needed to reclaim A's bag at the Delta/NW Baggage Carasoul and go to the next terminal and recheck it w/US Airways. We wasted the next hour waiting at the baggage claim in LGA until NW finally told us that no, or bag had supposedly been sent on to our destination. Had we not checked a bag at all, we could have simply walked over to the next terminal and checked in w/US Airways. (And of course we had about an hour's worth of stress at Indianapolis trying to find the bag that was checked. Delta/NW didn't want to take any responsibility on that end, as we had flown in on a US Airways Flight. US Airways never took custody of the bag, so they were not help, either.

Disclaimer: Carry-On does not always get to stay with you. Some planes (ie. Regional Jets) are too small, so you may have to check your bag planeside. I had to do that both coming and going to NYC. In both cases, I did keep my baby (aka, my Camera) with me as my "personal item." But that process is very painless. You tag your bag just before you get on the plane, they stow it right there and you collect it as you disembark the plane upon arrival.

I've always overpacked and swore I'd stop. The last two trips I did and I enjoyed the process of traveling much more.

Indiana
Level Contributor
390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your packing advice

Oh, yeah. And I also had room for an umbrella.

The bag I used was a High Sierra Carry On Drop Bottom Wheeled Duffel

amazon.com/High-Sierra-Drop-Bottom-Wheeled-T…

I paid about $70.00 at (where else?) TJ Maxx. This bag was perfect for me as the clothes all fit in the main compartment, and the camera equipment all fit in the top compartment.

B--

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,258 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your packing advice

I went to Thailand in 1997 in one of those huge Samsonite rolling box suitcases - sort of like a trunk on wheels. Last time I ever travelled like that!

Now, I go everywhere in the rollaboard and daypack. The daypack includes my camera bag (camera with lens attached and extra lens, extra batteries and extra memory cards although I back up every night); a photo storage devise; pills; 1 quart zip lock bag; snack foods; ipod; pda; all chargers. Sometimes the laptop instead of the photo storage device.

Basically anything I cant live without. Change of underwear in case I am forced to gate check the rollaboard. If I'm going to a destination like St Barth where you have to gate check your larger carryon - and sometimes they put it on a later plane - I always have a bathing suit too.

and the uniform is either black bottoms and tasteful colorful tops or jeans with black shirts. I do have 1 pr of dark khaki pants with flat cargo pockets I would wear in Belize or Mexico, but not here!