We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York August

southampton uk
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
New York August

Hi folks,

We have a couple of days in NY arriving by train from Boston on 21st August arriving at Penn Station at 1445. We are staying at The Alconquin Hotel.

Thinking of:

Friday TOTR to see NY and is St Patricks Cathedral nearby? Might consider either trying to get a cancellation seat for Wicked or TKTs booth and see what there is? Could we fit in a trip on Station Island ferry?

Saturday - Need to do some sdort of Hop on hop off tour - any suggestions? I'd also love to visit Ellis Island - do we need to book? And we have booked to see South Pacific at Vivian Beaumont theatre - any suggestions of nice restaurant with theatre menu nearby?

Sun - Boarding Queen Mary 2 at 1300 so thinking of breakfast in Central Park then going to Pier.

Also must fit in tiny bit of shopping - son (not with us) will want something from Abercrombie/Hollister - open on Sunday?

Thanks for any help/advice/comments. I know I often try to fit in too much so just tell me it's not possible!

Maggie

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,401 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York August

St. Patrick's is across from TOTR. You can certainly fit in the Staten Island ferry BUT

1) it's all the way downtown and you'll be in midtown

2) if you plan on visiting Ellis Island anyway on Sat., why bother? The main reason people ride the SI ferry is to get a free view of the SOL/Ellis Island while avoiding lengthy lines/security.

It's unlikely you'll find "cancellation" tickets for Wicked and with such a short trip, it seems a waste of time to stand in the TKTS line. What I would do is pick another show that's on discount on broadwaybox.com

and buy tickets in advance for it by phone or online and avoid wasting time. I'd do that for Fri. night. I highly recommend "In the Heights".

You either have time to visit Ellis Island (and yes buy tickets online at statuecruises.com) OR you can take a bus tour. If Ellis Island is important, do that and take a brief bus tour on Sun. AM. If you do the downtown loop of the Grayline hop on/off, that will work. You could also try a short tour from Real NY Tours that might work with your schedule.

Near South Pacific, Fiorello's or Josephina for Italian, Cafe Luxembourg for bistro, Shun Lee West (Chinese). Look at details of these and other options (west 60's) on menupages.com

South Pacific plays at Lincoln Center, not where all the other Broadway theaters are located. You'll need a taxi, subway or bus to get there.

hopstop.com

will help.

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York August

If lighter fare before an evening of theatre appeals to you, I've been pleased with the Menu D'Economie at Picholine, served in its Wine & Cheese Bar.

http://www.picholinenyc.com/index.php

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
970 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: New York August

I think NYWHIZ gave you good sound advise. I would agree with her to see In The Heights. I have not heard of people purchasing Wicked tickets there since it is such a popular show. You might check with there boxoffice directly to see if they have any tickets. I think that is your only chance of finding tickets.Yes Abercombie is open on Sunday. They are located on Fifth Avenue.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York August

There are pairs of Wicked tickets for the night of 8/21 -- in the orchestra and front mezzanine sections -- presently available via Ticketmaster, the only authorized, direct ticket vendor for the show. No discount, but at least you'd be getting the tix at face value and not be paying the mark-up charged by 3rd-party ticket brokers.

Utah
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York August

South Pacific is a great show!

We usually eat at Fiorello's when we go to Lincoln Center. It's just across the street with very tasty Italian food! It would be a good idea to get reservations.

http://www.cafefiorello.com/

Have Fun!

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: New York August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2010, 06:18