We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why am I not finding a deal?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Why am I not finding a deal?

I keep hearing about all of these deals out there and have been bidding on Priceline and looking at travelzoo and quikbook

Aug 25 for four nights, UWS, Tribeca or Midtown West.

Any suggestions? Right now I have a hotel tentatively booked for Midtown East, but we don't like the area.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why am I not finding a deal?

Which hotel did you book? If you got a good price for that, it's an easy thing to get to any other area you want to visit.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
351 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why am I not finding a deal?

Keep a eye out. Sometimes a deal will come up just a week or two before you leave. Is there any sort of special circumstance that may be limiting you? (Such as 5 people) I heard that August is a heavy tourist month so that may have something to do with it as well. Try this website as well http://www.travel-ticker.com/index.jsp

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why am I not finding a deal?

The hotel we have booked is the Millenium UN.

We are a couple and want a king or queen bed, private bath and a room not like a closet. Other than than, we don't care because we'll be spending the vast majority of our time out.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why am I not finding a deal?

You said it yourself... the area is not that important in NYC if you got a good deal... The Millenium is a fine hotel.... if you can cancel keep looking but you will be ok there. Learn where the M42 bus stops

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why am I not finding a deal?

I will keep looking and trying Priceline and the Hotwire link that was posted.

We want to be walking a lot and then try out the subway.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why am I not finding a deal?

It may be that you'll see prices on hotels in your preferred areas drop in the next couple of weeks, but hotels operate on the rule of supply and demand, and right now, they're apparently getting sufficient bookings that they're not motivated to cut rates more. Plus, your stay encompasses weekday nights -- rather than spanning an August weekend -- so that makes it harder to replicate, at a comparable hotel, the $149/night rate you've secured at the Millennium UN Plaza.

The Excelsior is the least expensive of the decent UWS hotels (not, e.g., the Marrakesh!) still available for those nights. Honestly, I myself would rather be in Turtle Bay, the UN Plaza's neighborhood, than in midtown west. And the UN Plaza hotel's standard rooms are indeed larger than the NYC norm.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Why am I not finding a deal?

The neighborhood around the Millenium is fine. It's a great hotel with excellent views and you got a good deal! Just walk a little bit more and become familiar with the crosstown bus. My daughter and I loved that hotel and were very sad to leave those great views behind. It was awesome to come home at night and open the window to let the sounds of the city in and to were you can actually open the windows, we stayed in the tower which hasn't been completely refurbished (which I requested) because it has better views and a huge room by NYC standards.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why am I not finding a deal?

"Any suggestions?"

Yes. Tell us what it is you want and what star level and price you've been bidding. I personally think you're lucky you haven't won a PL bid b/c the likely win for a 4* in midtown west is one of the Sheratons which are dated and tatty. I think the Millenium UN is a terrific spot for that time of year with views and swimming pool to cool off if it's hot. What's wrong with midtown east for you? If midtown west is ok, what's wrong with Times Square area which has overall better Priceline hotels? How much are you bidding on PL?

I don't know if you ever gave us a budget, but if you're desperate to be on the UWS, the

milburnhotel.com

has a king room for $169/night. If you want Tribeca, the Hilton Garden Inn Tribeca has a prepay rate of $183 for a king.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why am I not finding a deal?

The Iroquois is a lovely hotel in midtown west and is $160-200/night on a special on travel-ticker.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why am I not finding a deal?

The Iroquois is my most favorite hotel to date, but it's on 44th St., equidistant between Times Square and Grand Central Terminal, so certainly lacking in the "true neighborhood" quality that seems important to you.