We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

twin centre

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
319 posts
297 reviews
Save Topic
twin centre

My mother and her 2 friends are wanting to go on a US twin centre holiday (from UK - Newcastle) and I was wondering whether anyone had done this before and how I can get it to be as cheap as possible.

They're wanting to fly out to NY next April for 3-4 days and then go to Las Vegas for 3-4 days.

Advice anyone?

thanks,

Rachel

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: twin centre

I don't believe tht we use the term "twin centre holiday" in the US so don't be surprised if people don't know what you are talking about. We spell center with an er at the end also.

England
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: twin centre

Perhaps you need to approach more "general site, recent posting here are very pro NYC (natural), but not so enthusiastic re Las Vegas, dare say the opposite applies on the LV site. One thing for sure, due to the limited days involved I would recommend doing NYC first,I'd tolerate the longer journey coming home.Another tip is don't arrive LV Friday afternoon,the rest of the States seem to all head there for the w/end avoid that day if you can (for travelling anyway).

England
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: twin centre

Like my old "uni" lecturer used to say, if you are going to use the language...have the good manners to be able spell it as well...rachella, your (correct) grammar is fine, pedanticism is alive and kicking on this site (at times).

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: twin centre

While I have no problem with "centre" or "center", I would love to know what a "twin centre holiday" is.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: twin centre

Many people do this. If you search the forum for "Las Vegas" you'll find lots of previous threads on the subject. Here's one, for instance, that mentions some ways to search for good airfare:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1027022…

One gentle reminder is that Las Vegas is quite far from New York--Cairo is closer to London than LV is to NYC--so they should be prepared for a lot of flying time on this trip.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,560 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: twin centre

"Advice anyone?"

1) Avoid coming over Easter (April 4) when schools are out and prices for airfare and hotels may be higher.

2) There are no nonstop flights from Newcastle so consider flying from Manchester (Delta, Continental and Air France fly non-stop) or Edinburgh. If they go down to London (by train or driving?), airfare usually drops dramatically.

3) Compare price on

kayak.com

of buying one multi stop ticket (ie UK, NYC all airports, Las Vegas, London) to buying 2 separate roundtrip tickets (UK> NYC roundtrip and NYC >Vegas roundtrip)

4) It's too early to book for next April for some airlines (like Jet Blue which is popular between NYC and Vegas)

5) Use the "chart" on kayak once you checked for prices to see the airfare "history" to know whether the current price is higher or lower than it's been. Sometimes

farecast.com

can help predict whether the price will go up or down (whether it's a good time to buy).

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: twin centre

I've done this, though not for the specific NYC then LV itiniary.

For searching purposes try expedia using the flight only 'multi city' option - that will give you an over view of available flights.

Then use one of the US airlines websites, again using the multi city option. Try Continental, AA, Delta etc. With AA, for example, I have found that the 'internal' (US domestic) flight can add little if any cost to the trip.

Some of the UK Sunday papers have been offering such trips lately - I recall someone like trailfinders or flight bookers offering NYC/Vegas deals last weekend.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: twin centre

I'm slightly bemused by the comments regards 'twin centre', especially:

"While I have no problem with "centre" or "center", I would love to know what a "twin centre holiday" is."

Come on people, it doen't take much figuring out does it? It's not even a term that I'm familiar with in the UK, but it doen't take a genius to know what the OP is talking about. Sometimes I think people take exeption to questions a bit too readily on this forum :-)

Rachella - it's something people do a lot. I'm doing so in March / April - including over Easter as it happens ;-) Already got a reasonable flight bought!.

Just hunt sites like Kayak.co.uk or Expedia.co.uk which allow you to do 'multiple destination' flights. So you can figure your options to fly to NY and from NYC to Vegas and back to the UK.

NYC
Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: twin centre

Well, let me add to the 'I'd love to know what a twin centre/er trip' is. Sorry if you think it's pretty obvious - it's not to me and I am usually pretty good about figuring out meanings. Pendanticism is indeed alive and well.

10. Re: twin centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 August 2009, 01:05