We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok, here's the plan. What do you think?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Ok, here's the plan. What do you think?

Family of 5 (ages 12 and up)coming soon!! We arrive on Sat. at LGA. Here's what I have planned so far, as I don't really want to over plan or exhaust us. We will be getting metrocards and using subway.

Day 1-Sat: Arrive at noon. Check into Eastgate Towers and take City Tour late afternoon. We always take a city tour to see the "highlights" and pick what we want to see more of.

Night - Times Square

Day 2-Sun: AM - Hopefully Big Apple Greeter. If not, than we will go check out China Town, Little Italy, Lower East Side.

PM - Go to Brooklyn, Promenade, Dumbo area, return with walk across Bridge.

Day 3-Mon: AM - Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island,

PM - WTC, Financial District, Downtown.

Night - TOTR, Rockefeller Center.

Day 4-Tues: Central Park, Columbia University, Harlem ?

Day 5-Wed: Greenwich Village, SOHO, Washington Square, NYU

Night - The Lion King

Day 6-Thurs: Library, Grand Central Terminal, Bryant Park. Leave at 4:15pm for 6:50pm flight.

So all you experts, how does that sound? Too much? Too loose? Any and all suggestions certainly appreciated. I am really excited. Thanks.

Famous Fat Dave's Food Tours
Walking Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
Get Up and Ride
Bike Tours, City Tours, Day Trips
Art Smart
Private Tours, City Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours
Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ok, here's the plan. What do you think?

I shouldn't be the first to answer and am not an expert. But from what I hear, you will need a lot more time to do Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I'm pretty sure you cannot fit them into a single morning. To me (having visited New York a dozen times over the years) the rest of your plan sounds very good. I think it's great you are planning to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. We just did this (actually we went halfway across then came back) and absolutely loved it. If at all possible, see the Ken Burns documentary on the Brooklyn Bridge before you go to New York and the bridge. It's wonderful in itself, but will make your visit really meaningful.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,596 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ok, here's the plan. What do you think?

glad you are from Texas so you won't mind the heat that is supposed to arrive by the end of the weekend!

Do emphasize to all that they must wear very comfortable shoes (sandals, sneakers etc) and very casual is fine everywhere but theatre and finer restaurants so during the daytime (except for matinees) shorts are just fine.....so many visitors comment on how their feet hurt since in so few places in the states do people walk as much as we do (even in the subway, you are walking the stairs, the platforms etc).......but just think, you can eat that much more and walk it off! Your plan sounds just fine....enjoy

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ok, here's the plan. What do you think?

Allow time to go to the supermarket on third avenue between 38-39th street to get the stuff you will need (breakfast, snacks, etc)

The refrigerator is a good size. I think there's only service for 4 (silverware, glasses, plates). Check that. You might ask the hotel for another set-up.

The lobby is VERY small. and the computer in the lobby, you have to pay for internet.

California
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ok, here's the plan. What do you think?

Your plan sounds reasonable to me. I think one other thing to keep in mind is to be flexible too. If you guys stumble across something, take the time to enjoy that and don't be afraid if something else slips from your plan. It's more important to have a great time than to try to see everything. :)

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ok, here's the plan. What do you think?

Some thoughts:

* Not even one single musuem? Not the Met? Not the Museum of Natural History? Not the Frick? Nothing?

* Why, oh why, oh WHY do tourists insist on going to the area that back in my grandfather's day was properly called Little Italy, but which has not been an Italian neighborhood in decades? What, they don't have mediocre spaghetti joints at home? There are loads of truly great Italian restaurants in NYC, but NONE of them are there. There are interesting Italian neighborhoods, but this isn't one of them (the neighborhood is, in fact, Chinese.) Just what is it about those two blocks of Mulberry Street that seems attractive? With so much to see or do here, why waste time there? So-called "Little Italy" is a bad tourist trap joke, but still the visitors flock there. What is it they think they are going to find? I have never understood this...

* Times Square is not worth a "night"; it is worth ten minutes to look at the crowds and the lights. After that, it is just more of the same.

*Top of the Rock is much more interesting during the day, or at very least day-into-night. During the day Central Park is interesting, but at night from above it is just a big black rectangle.

* Columbia University? Um, OK, especially for fans of the Spiderman movies, but there are more interesting things to see (St. John the Divine? Grant's Tomb?) in that neighborhood for first time visitors. In any case, if I were going to spend a day uptown, I would go to the Cloisters.

*On your list of 42nd Street things, you don't have the UN. Just be aware that that is where it is.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ok, here's the plan. What do you think?

I like it. Nothing is overly detailed and it has a nice loosey - goosey feel to it. You do cover a lot of ground, but it doesn't seem too cramped in. I wish you luck getting a greeter.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ok, here's the plan. What do you think?

I just assume that if you are in China Town you would visit Little Italy as they seem to be one in the same. We probably won't spend much time there, but my kids absolutely loved China Town in San Francisco so we that was a must on the list.

As far as the museums go, after talking with my kids, ages 12, 17, 20 they have not expressed much interest in the museum scene. Living in Houston, we have been to some local museums and as far as my kids think, you might as well be going to the dentist. Not their cup of tea. I might can convince them to try the Natural Science Museum, but no guarantees.

My daughter has a desire to see Columbia more than the rest of us. She is a Jr. in high school and what better time to see a college campus. That's why we are visiting NYU, per daughters request.

Will definitely put UN on the list. You all are so helpful and provide such a great service in representing your hometown. Thanks for your input.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ok, here's the plan. What do you think?

Although I don't know how you could fit this in, if your daughter is interested in seeing campuses (and keep in mind you could perhaps split up; one parent with the daughter, and the other with the other two) you might want to consider Fordham in the Bronx, which is across the street from the Botanical Gardens, and near the Bronx Zoo. In the other direction you are close to Arthur Avenue/Belmont, for a real Italian neighborhood with some pretty good restaurants.

Fordham also has a Manhattan campus at Lincoln Center. And don't forget other schools such as Cooper Union, or Parsons/New School, or Barnard.

Mentioned in this post
Bronx
Bronx
New York
Belmont
Belmont
New York
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ok, here's the plan. What do you think?

Wow, you have planned very well. leave time for shopping along Broadway in the Soho area. Good shops for trendy cloths and Levis. I'm a Greeter but busy Sun. Could not have planned better. Enjoy NY

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
970 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ok, here's the plan. What do you think?

Disregard what has been said about Times Square. I am speaking from a tourist point of view. Your kids will love Times Square. There are many shops that will interest them like Toyrus,Billabong, m7m world and the MTV store. My teenager loved Times Square.Maybe before or after you could take the kids to Juniors they have great food.Your plans look will thought out. Before you leave Bryant Park your family could have lunch there before you go home.I understand your kids not being into museums. My daughter only liked the Museum Of Natural History.Remember you do not have to stick exactly to your plan play it by ear sometimes that"s more fun. Have fun on your trip.