We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip review mostly theater 7/30 - 8/2 (long!)

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Trip review mostly theater 7/30 - 8/2 (long!)

The main point of our trip was to see plays. Our son really loves the theater and seems to hate almost everything else, so New York was the place to go for a bit of family time. We also didn’t walk as much as we would have liked, because my husband has a problem with his foot. So walking much around Central Park or all day in a big museum was out. We managed to arrange a great trip anyway!

Our hotel: Affinia 50 on East 50th Street. Got suite on 14th floor, perfectly acceptable. Had modest view looking south on 3rd Avenue, and in another direction we could see the East River. Room was a true suite and the whole thing was larger than expected, with many closets. Good bed. Kitchen large also – full sized fridge, stove, sink. We enjoyed toasting bagels from H & H one morning. Bathroom kind of small but with a window in the shower. Why do hotel room bathrooms so often lack ventilation? Staff also fairly nice, well, other than the desk staff they were very nice. Decent location – only about 4 blocks to Rockefeller Center and then a short hop to Times Square. Worked out well.

Near our hotel -- not too much on 3rd Avenue, but over on Second Avenue there are more restaurants. I discovered a very sweet tiny private park on East 51st Street, between 3rd Ave and 2nd Ave. It has a LARGE waterfall, a “stream,” lovely seating, and even a small concession stand. What a wonderful place for a break. Also on 3rd between 50th and 51st Street there is a serious coffee store (maybe called Oren’s?).

After checking in to our hotel, we immediately went to the Times Square area to get drinks and dinner before going to our first show. Had a few drinks at Sardi’s, which brought back a very nice memory for me. Bartender is fabulous. It’s a tiny bar but historic and worth a visit. Then dinner at Becco’s, also on 44th Street I believe. We thought it was pretty good, perhaps not great. Very nice service. Nice menu. I loved my stuffed zucchini flower appetizer. Finally, saw The 39 Steps. We laughed a lot, and our son really loved it. A fun, lightweight, and kinetic theater experience. Good for teens and kids (ours is 15).

During our trip, we walked through Rockefeller Center quite a few times, going between our hotel and Times Square. It’s really interesting, especially if you are into the heroic architectural and sculpture style of that era and/or if you are into television. We are fond of a number of shows on NBC and on MSNBC, so it was fascinating to be on the spot where many of those shows are made. We managed to avoid the Friday mobs around the Today Show (the concert was over) but still saw the technical crews and the equipment, and get close to the main studio for the show.

We did the NBC Studio Tour. All three of us found it really interesting. I like seeing things behind the scenes, and don’t need to spot celebrities (we didn’t really spot any, well unless Tiki Barber counts). The guides were fabulous and there was plenty of time to ask questions about what they showed us. It’s hard to believe Saturday Night Live is filmed up on the 8th floor of that enormous building – I don’t know why, but this seems counterintuitive. Seeing their set was kind of strange. I think you might not be able to see this on your tour if you go closer to the broadcast, but our tour was at 11:15 on a Friday and the set was empty. Enjoyed seeing some news sets, including for the Brian Williams broadcast – shockingly small! The building itself (the GE Building) is really beautiful inside. I definitely recommend doing this tour.

Then a quick walk through the “Diamond District” – they don’t like you to take photos there, but the security guard who spoke to me was very polite. Finally we headed towards the Carlyle Hotel, to visit the Bemelmans Bar. Our family is fond of Bemelmans, who created the Madeleine series of children’s books, but we also have a slight connection to him. I thought I read that lunch was available, but that was not the case. We stayed anyway to have a few cold drinks and take in the murals. They have a great old bartender there who has been there forever and can answer any question. Bemelmans also painted around each of the supporting columns in the space, and painted lampshades for all the tables. This place was charming, and there was even more Bemelmans square footage than I had imagined. Worth a visit if you like Madeleine or like this kind of illustration. I also love visiting iconic old hotels.

Now starving, we zipped across Central Park to go to Zabar’s café. It’s just a casual place with a big communal table, but I liked it. Excellent prices. I got blintzes and a Dr. Brown’s soda and a black and white cookie. Right in the next space across the street is H & H Bagels. So we loaded up on bagels, planning to eat them the next morning in our hotel room. When we did they were still wonderful! My husband had never been to the Upper West Side so we just enjoyed walking a little bit around Zabar’s and towards the Natural History Museum, which is SO HUGE. I had a feeling we should not go in to visit the museum on this trip, in order to avoid museum fatigue. Walking around two sides of the outside of the museum was a little tiring! It will have to wait for another visit. Same with MOMA and the Metropolitan. Instead we focused on seeing plays and seeing some of the great sights that did not take a big time commitment (for example, I had no interest in the Empire State building due to the lines I had experienced in the past, and I knew my son would be very cranky waiting in those lines).

Back to the hotel, then a quick dinner before our second play. We saw Wicked. My son absolutely adored it, and we liked it very much. I wish I had gotten seats a little closer – we were almost in the very back row of the top balcony and I felt we were a little far away. We could see the entire stage, but it would have been more powerful to be a bit closer. Also my seats had a very annoying defect – every time someone opened the nearby exit door to the lobby, an extremely extremely bright light out in the lobby shined (shone?) right into my eyes almost like someone pointing a flashlight in my face. Not good, especially at this price! But this was still a great play-going experience.

Next day, we took a quick look at the “Lipstick” building near our hotel (it’s at about 54th Street) which is where the Madoff business was. Then took the subway down to Brooklyn Bridge stop. The Brooklyn Bridge was my husband’s favorite thing about the trip. It’s especially wonderful if it is a beautiful summer day (which it was), and also if you are at all familiar with the history of the bridge. Do see the Ken Burns documentary on the Brooklyn Bridge. It is amazing and makes visiting the bridge that much more meaningful. Loved the guys selling cold water out of coolers every 100 yards or so (thank you!).

Then lunch at Katz’s Deli. Hated it. I mean, the food was pretty good, but they herd you through like cattle and abuse you. Is that part of the authentic experience? I only learned as we were leaving that one section of the restaurant had waiter service, but when I looked at those customers they looked pretty frustrated. And you pay something like $16 for a sandwich! The whole “system” seems designed to maximize the cash they make and minimize the labor they expend to make the money. You have to wait in multiple lines to get your food, and then you wait in another line to pay. No thanks, not at all worth it.

Greenwich Village, to walk around and maybe have a snack before our next play. It’s so much fun walking around at random without planning anything, and you don’t have to walk far to see a good place to stop. We enjoyed the block where the chess shops are. We also liked stopping at the Half Pint pub, which was pretty much in the open air. Later we got cannolis at Rocco’s – delicious and they were very nice.

The last play we saw was Our Town at the Barrow Theater. I wanted to see something in a smaller theater, and a classic if possible. This fit the bill and this was my favorite thing about our trip. It’s just amazing. I recommend it highly. I heard about how some of the audience seats are basically on the stage and you could become part of the play – it’s true. I got seats that were NOT on the stage and was happy with that choice. It’s an incredibly intimate experience and we were only about 10 feet from the action.

Last day was a Sunday. We wanted to eat brunch nearby and ended up at Wollensky’s grill. So-so. The food was fair to good but it is not breakfast or brunch food. It’s lunch. And the air conditioning is dialed down to frozen – is that possibly so you will rush a little? I was not comfortable. Then we dashed to Penn Station to catch the train to Boston. A very good trip overall.

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
114,285 Reviews
New York City, NY
Rockefeller Center
Rockefeller Center
21,409 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
44,085 Reviews
New York City, NY
Sardi's Restaurant
Sardi's Restaurant
1,732 Reviews
New York City, NY
Becco
Becco
3,576 Reviews
New York City, NY
Saturday Night Live
Saturday Night Live
46 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bemelmans Bar
Bemelmans Bar
436 Reviews
New York City, NY
Zabar's
Zabar's
552 Reviews
New York City, NY
Upper West Side
Upper West Side
801 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
The Museum of Modern Art...
15,427 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Metropolitan
The Metropolitan
5 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Empire State Building
Empire State Building
69,984 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,995 Reviews
New York City, NY
Katz's Deli
Katz's Deli
13,757 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,494 Reviews
New York City, NY
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip review mostly theater 7/30 - 8/2 (long!)

I realy enjoyed your trip report. Tell me, what did you drink in Sardi's? And did they mind you just ordering a drink? Thx

Mentioned in this post
Sardi's Restaurant
Sardi's Restaurant
1,732 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip review mostly theater 7/30 - 8/2 (long!)

Sounds like a great trip--thanks for posting!

I love that production of Our Town as well. It's one of the best things on right now.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip review mostly theater 7/30 - 8/2 (long!)

Thank you, I enjoyed your trip report very much. I have a question about Our Town. You say that you were happy with your seats that weren't on the stage. Is there a reason that you would not have wanted to be on the stage? How interactive with the audience is it? I'm thinking about surprising my friend with tickets to this play, but I don't think she'd be comfortable if attention was focused on her at all. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip review mostly theater 7/30 - 8/2 (long!)

Answering the questions you posted: About Sardi's -- there is a bar area at the front, and the restaurant is in back. We were in the bar, so of course it's fine to just order a drink. (I had a Manhattan!)

About Our Town -- look at the seating plan on the Barrow theater website. It's either two or three rows of seats that are right on the stage. The actors are often acting as if you're not there, reaching into imaginary cupboards where your head is (if you are in those front rows), and so on. Often the actors are behind those rows of seats -- it's a very active performance. So those audience members are kind of in a swirl of activity. Then approximately 3 or 4 of them -- audience-- are handed a question that they need to read out loud --that's really the extent of audience participation. I knew we weren't up for it -- I like to sit back and not be self conscious at all. But if you're not excessively shy it should not be too daunting, and the seats are cheaper in those front rows.

Mentioned in this post
Sardi's Restaurant
Sardi's Restaurant
1,732 Reviews
New York City, NY
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip review mostly theater 7/30 - 8/2 (long!)

Thanks, MaxieLu. There are discount codes that make the regular seats the same price as the stage ones, so if I decide for sure to go, I think we'll play it safe and try for those.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip review mostly theater 7/30 - 8/2 (long!)

Thanks for the report and congrats on a successful visit.

If you or your son come here frequently for theater, consider getting an "out of towners" membership to the Theater Development Fund - the folks who run TDF.org and the TKTS booths.

You won't get discounts to blockbusters like Wicked, but you can find discounts for Bway previews and Off Bway productions. The 39 Steps is always on TDF.org and Hair was on early in its run (that's how we saw it.)

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_SupportPage.aspx?id=76

TDF was started to give discounts to teachers, clergy, students etc, so you must provide proof of school, union membership, non-profit work, military or clergy service.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip review mostly theater 7/30 - 8/2 (long!)

I enjoyed your report, MaxieLu. A nugget in every paragraph. I'm like your son in that when I'm there all I want to see are the plays and musicals.....

>>Then a quick walk through the “Diamond District” – they don’t like you to take photos there, but the security guard who spoke to me was very polite.<<

where? inside? outside?

>>Do see the Ken Burns documentary on the Brooklyn Bridge. It is amazing and makes visiting the bridge that much more meaningful.<<

I agree---everyone should see that film. Available at Netflix.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,995 Reviews
New York City, NY
8. Re: Trip review mostly theater 7/30 - 8/2 (long!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2010, 07:22