We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in East Coast of USA

singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in East Coast of USA

My husband and I are planning a 2 week trip to the States in the mid October. We went to the west coast last year, and have never been to the east, so would like to do the east coast this year. We've shortlisted some places to consider:

Chicago, Washington DC, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Maine, niagara falls

I know not all of this is possible since we only have 2 weeks and a limited purse, so would anyone be able to advise what might be a possible route? or maybe suggest something we haven't considered?

We are both in our late 20s and we both like to have some sightseeing, museum, shopping, walking, biking in our travels.

thanks in advance for any advice!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in East Coast of USA

I'm not being critical, but Chicago is in the "Midwest", and is almost 900 miles from the "East Coast". Also, Niagara Falls is in "upstate" New York at the Canadian border . I would recommend scratching those from your list. Take a good look at a map before deciding.

A trip that took in D.C., NYC, Boston (with some "outdoorsy" hiking and biking in southern Maine) might be doable. Or replace Maine with Philadelphia since it is on your way between D.C. and NY. Trying to do more than 3 or 4 places in two weeks may be difficult when you take travel times into account. But train or bus travel between the cities from DC to Boston is very easy.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,017 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in East Coast of USA

Most people on this forum would recommend seeing fewer places and spending more time in each but I've noticed many Asian visitors prefer making more stops with shorter visits. So which do you prefer?

There are some bus tour cos. (gotobus.com) that include a lot of stops and are affordable but you spend a lot of time on the bus. Here's one previous thread

tripadvisor.com/…2

Have you already purchased your airfare? If yes, where do you fly in and out? If you're on a very tight budget, you can easily use

megabus.com

boltbus.com

to get between Washington DC, New York, Boston, Philadelphia. For the others, I'd recommend flying. If you haven't bought airfare, you might consider flying into Chicago and out one of the other cities.

One idea

fly to Chicago - 3 days

fly Chicago to NYC- 5 days

bus NYC to Washington DC - 3 days

fly Washington to Boston-2-3 days

Fly home from Boston.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,617 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in East Coast of USA

As others have pointed out, neither Chicago nor Niagara Falls are on the east coast.

With two weeks, I would start in Boston, and spend three days there, then take the train or bus down to NYC, and spend five days there. Then I'd do one night and day in Philadelphia, and then four days in DC. If you have to fly out of the ame airport you came into, I'd spend my last day travelling back to Boston. You could also do this same trip in the opposite direction, starting in DC and heading up to Boston and then back. Or you could start in New York, travel up to Boston, then all the way back to DC, and then back to New York. But with the time you have, I wouldn't bother with Maine, I'd only spend one day, if that, in Philadelphia, and I'd make sure to get at leats four days each in NYC and DC.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in East Coast of USA

If it were me --- I would spend the whole two weeks in Maine--- but it is not so how about you.

Much would depend on airfares and as others have said I would immediately eliminate Chicago because of geography and Niagara Falls just because I don't think it is that interesting and it too on this trip would be geographically undesirable..

That leaves for Me in order of North to South, Maine,

Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington Dc...

I would try to fly into either Portland Maine or Boston if the Airfares were comparable and in either case fly home from Washington DC.

I would give 2 days to Maine, 3 to Boston, 5 to NYC,

2 to Philadelphia and 2 to Washington DC.

Other than the Boston-Maine part of this I would do it all on Amtrak since all those cities are on the Northeast Corridor route and you probably could get some kind of package from Amtrak.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in East Coast of USA

I agree with the suggestions of doing Boston (3 days), NYC (4 days), Philadelphia (2 days) and Wasthington (4 days), DC. You will not need a car for any of these cities and can travel between them via train (nicer but more expensive) or bus (see the links one of the previous posters put up). I would not fly as this route, called the Northeast Corridor, has excellent train and bus service.

These are all big cities -- let us know if you want some non-city options but that will require a car.

singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in East Coast of USA

thank you all for your tips and recommendations. i'd read before that chicago is a very pretty city and i thought i'd like to see it for myself. a friend recommended we visit maine, which was why we considered the 2 places even though they're way out geographically. but after reading all the comments, we will prob concentrate on DC, NY, Philadelphia and Boston.

nywhiz asked if we had bought our airtickets. we haven't, but looking at the destinations most carriers go to, it seems like we will have to fly in and out of NY. if so, what would you all recommend in terms of itinerary, since DC is south of NY and the other states are all north of NY. haven't found any with reasonable fares that go in DC and out fr Boston and vice versa.

one other question, among the 4 cities, which is the best place for outlet shopping?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,617 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in East Coast of USA

Philadelphia is also south of New York.

I think New York has the best outlet shopping of all the cities you've listed.

I would suggest the itinerary I gave you previously - start in New York for three or four days, travel down to Philadelphia for one or two days, and from there to DC for three to five days, and then take a train back up to Boston for three to four days, and then back to New York for a day or two before you fly back out. The exact number of days per city will depend on what you are interested in in each location. With a schedule like that, I would strongly recommend the train instead of the bus, especially for the long leg between DC and Boston.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,017 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in East Coast of USA

I use

kayak.com

for airfare/flights and they have a mulit city form that allows you to look at flying into one city and out the other.

I agree with your friends that Chicago is a great and beautiful city and since it's in the middle of the country, if you don't visit it now, I wonder when you might in the future. I would see that before Philadelphia which while a lovely city, is not as dynamic. If you can fly into Chicago and out of NYC or vice versa, that would be ideal imo. You can use train or bus depending on your budget between NYC, Boston, Washington. Maine is beautiful but you don't really have the time for it in a 2 week trip if you want to cover these other cities.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks in East Coast of USA

Best is to fly into Washington and probably depart from Boston. It makes no sense to fly in and out of NY when you are visiting all the other places.

DC will be your ideal place for sightseeing, museums and walking. It is great value too as the museums are free entry.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,617 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks in East Coast of USA

Yes, Sky, but if she's coming from Singapore, there will be limited if any options for flying into Boston or DC. Neither is an international hub.