We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Cirque

Buffalo
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Le Cirque

We are going to Le Cirque in Sept for dinner. We have never been before. What is the dress code for men and women on a Thursday night. thanks

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Le Cirque

I'm not sure if jacket and tie are REQUIRED for men, but my husband has always felt more comfortable wearing them at Le Cirque. Most women dress very nicely -- you will fit right in with any nice dinner dress or dressy pantsuit.

That's not to say that, if there is not an "official dress code", you can't show up in more casual attire. It's just our preference to dress in keeping with a restaurant's ambience (and it can often mean better service -- it shouldn't, but it can).

I highly recommend the Dover Sole Meuniere. It may not be on the main restaurant menu anymore, but since they serve it on the more "casual" menu, you should be able to wheedle an order of it.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Le Cirque

Just saw that the Dover Sole is back on the main menu, so no begging will be necessary. :)

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Le Cirque

Just double-checked the website and jackets are REQUIRED for men.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Le Cirque

thanks for the reply. Is it as good as they say?

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Le Cirque

This is just my opinion (and I have been to 3 locales of Le Cirque (oops-- I'm showing my age_

I think most folks have always gone to Le Cirque primarily to "see and be seen" more than for the food (which is very good) Many of the more formal restaurants have gone the way of the dinosaur. I'm not saying anything was "better in the good old days" -- in fact the selection of fabulous, innovative restaurants has only increased over the years -- just different.

The service can be hit or miss. In all honesty, we have always been there as "expense account" guests and our hosts knew the owner, Sirio. I have heard stories of "unknowns" being treated as beautifully as we were, and also tales of those who clearly felt that "regulars" were received far more warmly and received much better service and attention.

I don't see any reason (other than budget) for someone not to go and enjoy what can be an utterly delightful dining experience in a beautiful restaurant and a bit of a NYC "institution".

Have a wonderful time !

Buffalo
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Le Cirque

Our friend who made the reservations also know the owner so hopefully we will be ok. Should women wear a cocktail dress since we are now going on a Friday night?? I don't want to be over or under dressed. I hate that feeling. Thanks in advance

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Le Cirque

La Cirque is a place where you may feel under dressed even if you are in your finest.... Sometimes people will come in in tuxes because they are going somewhere afterward where it is required but if you are comfortable in your choice I am sure you will be fine. A cocktail dress for a woman and a business suit for a man is more than acceptable.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Le Cirque

Did you know they are part of the (very extended) Restaurant Week.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Le Cirque

Being kind of "old-fashioned", I usually "overdress" a bit, particularly when with hubby (we love to look our best for each other). However, i wouldn't want you to feel you have to "overpack" for your trip by bringing a special cocktail dress that you might just wear once (have no idea how long you are coming to the City for or what your other plans are). If you have a lovely black dress that you might be wearing somewhere else in the City during your stay, you could always "dress it up" for LeCirque and "dress it down" for something else. Whatever you decide, try to relax and enjoy your experience -- I assume you're not famous, so no one will be paying much, if any, attention to what you are wearing. Have a wonderful dinner !

10. Re: Le Cirque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2010, 05:18