We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really struggling to choose NYC restaurant !

London, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Really struggling to choose NYC restaurant !

Hi,

Have asked this before but still can't decide. I 've searched, read reviews here, other websites etc but still can't decide.

I want somewhere for a Saturday Dinner. Its a very special and romantic occassion, but the usual suspects all seem to have a problem; (oh and my partner doesn't eat fish !)

Per Se : far too expensive

Daniel : expensive / mixed reviews / too formal (i am not wearing a jacket)

River Cafe : Jacket required

Gramercy : Sounds good but would want to eat in Tavern and you can't reserve - might do this another night

Gotham : A possible - but again have found some mixed reviews

Le Bernadin - mostly fish - small portions!

I want somewhere that has high quality food, that is not too stuffy, that I can reserve now for mid October.

Can anyone help!?

Thanks so much

G (London)

Mentioned in this post
Per Se
Per Se
1,612 Reviews
New York City, NY
Daniel
Daniel
2,925 Reviews
New York City, NY
Gramercy Tavern
Gramercy Tavern
3,348 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Gotham Hotel
The Gotham Hotel
880 Reviews
New York City, NY
The London NYC
The London NYC
3,819 Reviews
New York City, NY
London, United...
Level Contributor
10,395 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Really struggling to choose NYC restaurant !

If your only problem with River Cafe is the jacket, could you not just pack a jacket? It does sound as though you may be limiting yourself without real cause.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Really struggling to choose NYC restaurant !

First, I'll say that every place you'll see will have some negative reviews. People paying that kind of money aren't going to be happy if anything is amiss, which it certainly will be from time to time. So I would treat the reviews as a rough estimate more than anything else.

Why do you want to eat in the tavern section of Gramercy Tavern as opposed to the dining room? Not sure I understand this.

Have you looked at Blue Hill:

www.bluehillfarm.com/food/blue-hill-new-york

or Corton?

http://www.cortonnyc.com/

Mentioned in this post
Gramercy Tavern
Gramercy Tavern
3,348 Reviews
New York City, NY
Blue Hill
Blue Hill
607 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Really struggling to choose NYC restaurant !

By the way, I think you'll have a hard time finding very many places that you can reserve now for mid-October. Though there are some exceptions (such as Per Se), one month is increasingly the standard reservation window.

Mentioned in this post
Per Se
Per Se
1,612 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
218 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Really struggling to choose NYC restaurant !

Let's see, in London... are you more inclined to find say, Scott's ('tho it is a fish place) the Wolseley, Wild Honey, Arbutus, the River Cafe or Maze, a special place? Or are you leaning more towards AD @ the Dorchester, Tom Aikens and L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon? The latter seem to be places that match your list in which could serve as a guide to those trying to help you?!

little_traveller

Mentioned in this post
The London NYC
The London NYC
3,819 Reviews
New York City, NY
Wild Honey
Wild Honey
150 Reviews
Oyster Bay, NY
The River Cafe
The River Cafe
3,473 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Tom's Restaurant
Tom's Restaurant
546 Reviews
New York City, NY
London, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Really struggling to choose NYC restaurant !

thanks Crans - will check both of those out and mkae a mental note to book one month in advance.

re Gramercy - I suppose I shouldn't write off the formal dining room - I just read lots of reviews saying "food just as good but better value" in the Tavern - so I was going to save that for maybe the Sunday night.

The jacket thing isn;t just about packing and carrying one - having eaten at some of London's finest restaurants without the need for a jacket, I am not prepared to sit in one (which you have to at the RC) whilst I eat.

Mentioned in this post
Gramercy Tavern
Gramercy Tavern
3,348 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Really struggling to choose NYC restaurant !

How 'bout the Union Square Cafe. Certainly not stuffy and the food is top notch:

http://www.unionsquarecafe.com/

Mentioned in this post
Union Square Cafe
Union Square Cafe
1,173 Reviews
New York City, NY
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Really struggling to choose NYC restaurant !

What about The View

marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/restau…

We have been twice and have had a fab meal both times ..

We are going to NY in 2 weeks but this time are try the River Cafe

Mentioned in this post
The River Cafe
The River Cafe
3,473 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,210 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Really struggling to choose NYC restaurant !

Okay, Geoggy, your comment is the type that annoys me to no end. Because you can eat in London without a jacket, you refuse to do so in New York? You do realize that New York is a different city than London, right? And you are visiting it for some reason, otherwise you'd just stay in London without a jacket.

If you want to say "I am uncomfortable with a jacket, and prefer not to wear one at dinner, and as such I am willing to limit myself in terms of where I will go for dinner in order to be more comfortable," that would be one thing. But to suggest that somehow you are refusing on some sort of moral grounds, like if a jacket isn't required in London, you're certainly not going to wear one in New York, makes me want to tell you to stay home. We don't need your attitude.

Mentioned in this post
The London NYC
The London NYC
3,819 Reviews
New York City, NY
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Really struggling to choose NYC restaurant !

I can recommend BLT Steak which will run for to about $120 for 2 including tax, tip and alcohol!

Mentioned in this post
BLT Steak
BLT Steak
567 Reviews
New York City, NY
London, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Really struggling to choose NYC restaurant !

Brooklyn bridge - WTF?! If a restaurant in timbuktoo and indeed london had a jackets on all through dinner rule I wouldn't want to eat there.

I won't be cancelling my flights and hotel. Sorry to disappoint! Let's hope I don't bump into you and your attitude!

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
17,036 Reviews
New York City, NY