We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which one? the Sofitel or Renaissance Times Square?

London
Level Contributor
235 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
which one? the Sofitel or Renaissance Times Square?

Everyone has been really helpful with their replies back to my previous question, but I have now cut it down to the two hotels as above.

Which one would be better? My daughter and I are going to NY for the first time as its my birthday and hers. She is early twenties and wants us to go to shows, shopping, sights, the zoo etc etc.

any replies back most appreciated.

Toronto
Level Contributor
379 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which one? the Sofitel or Renaissance Times Square?

stayed at the renaissance very nice great location but busy location, subway right there. stayed with 13 year old daughter. sorry have not stayed at soffitel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which one? the Sofitel or Renaissance Times Square?

I've not been in the Renaissance recently enough to give fair comment on that. Did stay in a top-floor suite at the Sofitel at the end of January and wasn't pleased (e.g., suite at the Beacon was better designed/more comfortable -- although the bathroom was much smaller -- and the level of service at the Beacon was higher).

I am, however, in the minority of those who have posted reviews of the Sofitel here at TA.

Southeast
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which one? the Sofitel or Renaissance Times Square?

Just returned this week from a 5 night stay in NYC with my 21 year old daughter (I'll be posting a trip report soon). We stayed at the Royalton, which is right across the street from the Sofitel on W.44 btwn 5th and 6th, so I can only speak to the location of the Sofitel. We loved the block that the Sofitel and Royalton are on. The Algonquin and Iroqouis are also on that block.

We absolutley loved the location. It's just far enough from the insanity of Times Square but easy walking distance to theatres, Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, 5th Avenue shopping, Grand Central terminal. There's a coffee shop, Gregory's coffee, on that block where we would stop in to pick up bottles of water at reasonable prices before heading to our room. Kellari Taverna, nice Greek restaurant, is on that block as well.

My suggestion, as far as checking out location, would be to look at Google map for the hotel address, then click on street view. If you're not familiar, there are arrows you can click on to go further down the street or up the street.

Have fun!

4. Re: which one? the Sofitel or Renaissance Times Square?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2010, 07:16