We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Time Square Hotel via Subway

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
748 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
JFK to Time Square Hotel via Subway

My husband and I are travelling to New York in September. We are both comfortable using public transit and though we've never been to New York we are optomistic about finding our way on public transit. We are staying at the Wyndham Garden Hotel - Time Square South (341 W. 36th St. which is 36th St and 8th Ave).

I think I have the route figured out. Take the Airtran heading to Jamaica Station. At Sutphin Blvd/Archer Av station take the E train downtown. Get off at 34th St/Penn Station. Exit near intersection of W 35th St & 8th Ave. Go north on 8th Ave towards W. 36th St. Turn left on W. 36th St.

My question is we planned to purchase a 7 day unlimited Metro Card. I understand that the unlimited Metro Card doesn't cover the Airtran - is that correct? If that is the case, what is the easiest way to pay for the Airtran? I'm thinking I'll have to buy 2 7-day unlimited Metro Cards (1 for me and 1 for my hubby) and then a regular Metro Card with $20 (to also pay for return) on it to pay for the AIrtrain.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Time Square Hotel via Subway

You're right, almost. Because there's a 15% bonus on regular a/k/a pay-per-ride Metrocards costing $8 or more, you need only buy a $17.40 Metrocard in order to receive $20 worth.

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
748 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Time Square Hotel via Subway

Yes, thanks for the tip about the 15% bonus for prepayed Metro Cards.

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
748 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Time Square Hotel via Subway

When I figured out the trip details it was estimated at 1.5 hours from JFK to our hotel. Does that sound about right?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Time Square Hotel via Subway

You got it! You will be fine on our subway system if you have figured that much out.

Al

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,158 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Time Square Hotel via Subway

It might take less time than that, but an hour and a half is a safe conservative estimate of the time it will take.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Time Square Hotel via Subway

When my wife and I take that trip we usually use the Long Island Railroad into Penn Station.

But you have a good plan, I think you should stick to it.

Good luck.

7. Re: JFK to Time Square Hotel via Subway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2010, 06:19